Cambridge science professor vilified for saying work hard and don't drink too much

G-VilleTider

Suspended
Aug 17, 2006
It was similar advice to that doled out by many parents to offspring beginning their university careers: work hard and don’t drink too much.

But when a Cambridge tutor sent an email to his students warning them that the course required their full attention if they were to succeed, the undergraduates were horrified.

They called his stance “extremely damaging” and one university vice-chancellor accused him of “frightening impressionable undergraduates”.

Mental health campaigners said the message was neither “appropriate nor acceptable”.
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/cambridge-students-horrified-by-hard-work-claims-professor-eugene-terentjev-7t9f8jt6l

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/11/10/professor-draws-ire-for-saying-students-will-have-to-work-hard-and-avoid-drinking.html

The students don't like hearing this, fine, even understandable. Most students, myself included, often looked for the easier courses. But the other professors and mental health people that thought this was "extremely damaging" behavior is truly nuts. It seems that this level of coddling will only raise a generation of adult children with little in the way of real life coping mechanisms, but maybe I am just getting too old (I haven't yelled at kids on my lawn yet, but I did yell at one to get out of the street).

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/cambridge-students-horrified-by-hard-work-claims-professor-eugene-terentjev-7t9f8jt6l

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/11/10/professor-draws-ire-for-saying-students-will-have-to-work-hard-and-avoid-drinking.html

The students don't like hearing this, fine, even understandable. Most students, myself included, often looked for the easier courses. But the other professors and mental health people that thought this was "extremely damaging" behavior is truly nuts. It seems that this level of coddling will only raise a generation of adult children with little in the way of real life coping mechanisms, but maybe I am just getting too old (I haven't yelled at kids on my lawn yet, but I did yell at one to get out of the street).
Awkward (this professor may suffer from the same mental disability my father suffers from: engineering) but it is more likely that students will underestimate the difficulty of Queens' than overestimate it.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Awkward (this professor may suffer from the same mental disability my father suffers from: engineering) but it is more likely that students will underestimate the difficulty of Queens' than overestimate it.
What does an engineer use for birth control?

His personality.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I've told this before but maybe most have forgotten. One summer, looking for a crip course, I decided on "Roman Private Life." The professor, in the first session said that we were going to just relax and enjoy ourselves and learn a few interesting things. It was in old Woods Hall, not even air conditioned. I loved what he was saying. I just didn't realize that he was drunk. That was the only session he attended. I understand they shipped him off to Florida for inpatient cure. The class was taken over by Professor Perry, head of the Latin department (do they even have such nowadays?). It was a hard, miserable summer and I earned a "C," mainly because I simply rebelled against taking it seriously. Anyway, some of the crap we learned, about handling sewage, etc., for example, has since been proven to have been in error...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.