Bob Costas on the future of football: 'This game destroys people's brains'

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Some of you have taken my comments a little differently than I intended.

I don’t have a desire to see the game banned. I’m not sure that I agree that everyone who plays actually understands the risks. So many started at the pee wee level and had no clue and neither did their parents. But I’m not about to embark on a crusade to ban the game. Nor do I have a desire to crush the joy others get from it. This is only how I feel and especially how I feel about my sons playing.

Its not just the CTE. I can never get any joy out of the 2005 Florida win, because of what happened to Prothro. That game is forever tainted, for me at least.

I hope the game is made safer without losing the essence of what it’s always been. I’m not sure that’s possible though.

Anyway, I’m just one guy.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I served in the military, so I just don't see it that way. When I served, I knew the implications. I was willing to suffer those consequences - even death - to serve. How is football any different? Heck, at least they get something out of it. All I got was a GI bill and some scars.
By the way, in light of this weekend, and really every day, thank you for your service.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I'm getting ready to watch some unbelievable football match ups this weekend.
I'm excited about every dad gum one of them, and I can't wait to watch them!
Why the need for the downer?
Seriously?

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I'm getting ready to watch some unbelievable football match ups this weekend.
I'm excited about every dad gum one of them, and I can't wait to watch them!
Why the need for the downer?
Seriously?
LOL, this depresses you somehow?

As I said, I love football, but the reality is it's facing a crisis as a sport, and will continue to do so...

If you wish to bury your head in the sand, fine - just don't read the thread. It's really not very difficult to avoid.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
LOL, this depresses you somehow?

As I said, I love football, but the reality is it's facing a crisis as a sport, and will continue to do so...

If you wish to bury your head in the sand, fine - just don't read the thread. It's really not very difficult to avoid.
Didn't depress me at all Audio, just wonder why with all the great games going on this weekend, someone would rather do a thread on football's harmful effect on the brain.
I know, completely stupid and idiotic.
I apologize, you're right. 100%..

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Didn't depress me at all Audio, just wonder why with all the great games going on this weekend, someone would rather do a thread on football's harmful effect on the brain.
I know, completely stupid and idiotic.
I apologize, you're right. 100%..
Again, no need to post if you don't care, so why not just move along?

I'm going to enjoy football this weekend, hopefully a discussion about the future of the sport doesn't ruin your weekend...

RTR

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
I started playing when I was five years old and played every year until I graduated HS. Had a chance to play small college ball but was burned out with it. I loved every minute of it, well of games that is[emoji6].

With that said, I’ve not let my oldest son play yet and have thought about holding him out until Jr. High. He won’t miss anything. Most JV and Varsity coaches have to correct the bad habits of little league football anyway. Right now he loves baseball, basketball, and cub scouts. That’s enough to keep him busy (and his parents!).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
If I were an NFL owner, I'd sell my team and get out while the getting is still possible without a loss of mega millions, maybe even a billion or more. Jerry Jones, are you listening?

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
“That’s a neat device you have invented Mr. Sasson, but at Eastman Kodak, we sell film and paper.” - CEO of Kodak to his employee in 1975 upon review of the first digital camera
College and professional football have to adapt. A guy like Drew Brees is pushing for flag football to be the way of the future, but I sure as heck won’t go sit in a stadium to watch that kind of game.

Maybe a good analogy is cigarettes and the tobacco industry. Look at what the lawsuits have done not only to some of the biggest corporations, but they also forced legislation aiming to protect youth and non smokers. Could lawsuits tear down college football as we know it? I hope not.

Man, sure feels like the offseason today!
Just my 2 cents - and just jumping in here to piggy-back on the Brees comment.

FWIW, I Love Football (and mostly Alabama football). I'm NOT suggesting it be banned, nor am I interested in stopping it or anthing like that. I fully suport the "right" of an adult - even an 18 year old - to make any informed choice they choose to about their health and future health consequences.

The problem is, there is FAR MORE care, concern and medical attention at the Pro and College levels about things like Concusssions than there EVER will be at the High School level or below. When you combine that with the Numbers of CHILDREN playing the game in High School compared to the numbers playing College or Pro - the disparity is HUGE.

I Don't want to see Football reduced to the level of "Flag Football" - but IMO it's only a matter of time before the science establishes that the children in HS (Who lack the legal capacity to make an informed choice) are being harmed at a higher rate than the adults in College or the NFL.

FWIW, I've seen an example of this in my own extended family - a young man whose entire presonality changed (and not for the better) after suffering a severe concussion in HS Football - a concussion that probably was not his first, but only his worst. It derailed his plans for a college education and a possible CFB career, and very nearly resulted in him being incarcerated due to the the frequent meltdowns and violent outbursts that occurred for almost a year after the concussion.

The NFL has dealt with the lawsuits (at least for the time being). The colleges will face it next, but College Football is Flithy Rich - they will BUY their way out of the legal problems.

But what's going to happen when High Schools start getting hit with massive legal claims for brain injuries to kids? That, my friends, is where the "Rubber" is going to "hit the road."
Because I can assure you - the FIRST time any HS gets hit with a massive judgement for a brain injury to a minor athlete, HS football programs are going to start dropping like ROCKS.

And when the supply of players evaporates, major changes will have to happen.

I don't know if the NFL owners are thinking about this - but if they aren't, and aren't actively trying to plan for it, then they are NUTS. "IMO".

Last edited:

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
saw the headlines for this, curious how much of that is agenda driven and accurate, and whether his suicide would have contributed to what they are seeing (didn’t he hang himself? would that cause some brain damage?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agenda driven is the key with this issue, as with most other issues. There have always been group opposed to football (violent, you see) and this was long before concussion became an issue. The question is whether or not the Power$ that be can offset the Powers that wanna be. It will be a media fight. ESPN vs People against Violence or something.

I wonder if the NFL players will vote to ban football?

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Agenda driven is the key with this issue, as with most other issues. There have always been group opposed to football (violent, you see) and this was long before concussion became an issue. The question is whether or not the Power$ that be can offset the Powers that wanna be. It will be a media fight. ESPN vs People against Violence or something.

I wonder if the NFL players will vote to ban football?
You really believe that CTE is a manufactured concern? Or that it's only an issue because a (tiny) group of people want the sport banned?

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
We know not to smoke - people do it.

We know not to take drugs - people do it.

We know the risks of unprotected sex - it happens every single hour in this country.

We know the risks of distracted driving - I pass more people texting than not (them, not me).

19-year olds are going to live forever or so they think.

The one caveat here is that unlike some of those others, which are done in secret, it's pretty difficult to play football without the parental release, so by the time you reach 19 you're too far behind in most cases.

Bamadoc74

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 26, 2008
Hattiesburg
Had a concussion at age 15.Up until then my Mom thought football built character.The next year I focused on playing music.Still playing!

Im_on_dsp

All-SEC
Oct 10, 2007
Canton, GA
If I were an NFL owner, I'd sell my team and get out while the getting is still possible without a loss of mega millions, maybe even a billion or more. Jerry Jones, are you listening?
If one were to look at it from an investment perspective then now probably is a good time to sell your team and find another place for your money. That being said, a lot of these guys (owners) are doing it for their ego, not necessarily for investment purposes.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
If one were to look at it from an investment perspective then now probably is a good time to sell your team and find another place for your money. That being said, a lot of these guys (owners) are doing it for their ego, not necessarily for investment purposes.
Agreed - They are all doing it for their egos. They are also all billionaires. None would be hurt by a dramatic value adjustment across the franchises.

These are guys whose names we would not know if not for their investment in sports franchises. They would rather continue to have their name in lights than sell.

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
My son wants to play football. I am ok with it. My wife is dead set against him playing. I was intending to make an executive decision and allow him to play next year. At 10 he is not likely to get hurt but if he does it will be some lonely night for me.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
My son wants to play football. I am ok with it. My wife is dead set against him playing. I was intending to make an executive decision and allow him to play next year. At 10 he is not likely to get hurt but if he does it will be some lonely night for me.
I am glad that my boys did not want to play because my wife also was against it while I was on the fence at the time. I would have probably pushed her to let them play if they wanted to because we come from a huge football family. Had I done that and one of them been harmed - well, let's just say that my wife would have been very upset with me. So, again, very glad that I was not put in your position.

tidegrandpa

All-American
I walked on at Alabama in spring of 1975, but when I compared myself (5'9, 165 soaking wet) to the locker room full of muscle, concussions were not on radar but Kent Waldrep of TCU had been forever injured with a broken neck the season before on a harmless looking sweep against us at Legion Field and that was what spooked me. I decided that being a fan was good enough.

Just a little off topic, Mike Tucker from Alexandria and I (from Saks) played on same Pee Wee All Star team from Anniston in 6th grade and both of us at time wanted to play at Bama.
Mike was faster and bulked up and became a great secondary player, he was a natural all around athlete.

LSUgrad2BamaDad

All-SEC
May 5, 2016
Destrehan, LA
The NFL has dealt with the lawsuits (at least for the time being). The colleges will face it next, but College Football is Flithy Rich - they will BUY their way out of the legal problems.
Excellent post overall, and very sorry to hear about your relative. Terrible.

I’m not an economist or lawyer, but I question how rich college athletic departments really are. Sure the revenue is huge, but so is the budget. Schools like Alabama do give back surplus to the university, but I’m guessing that would be in jeopardy if lawsuits need to be resolved. Then, what happens to the fundraising arms that supplement the coaches’ salaries? Are they exposed to liabilities?

Depressing thoughts for a or a Game Day!

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Everybody is focusing on the injuries the players suffer...and I understand and am concerned too...

But just look at what watching football has done to auburn fans. Their minds are long gone, obviously destroyed.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.