The Catch-22 that explains Alabama's O-Line, passing game issues

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Seems like every defense has attempted to do the same thing - overload the box and blitz to stop the run. The only ones to have success are the ones with great talent.

When that's the case, how's the offense expected to impose its will?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
and i think you can put success in quote marks.

HMM

All-SEC
Sep 1, 2007
It was DJ Fluker who started stomping and pumping his fist - Gary D noted (one of his great strengths) and we ground it out from there.
You're right! For some reason I had it in my mind that it was Chance and his belly button showing jersey...lol I was surrounded by Georgia fans that game sadly... They were loud and proud until the very end.

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
I think the underlying unsaid answer is....'make an in-game adjustment' to the entire gameplan if need be based on what the opposing defense is doing to stop you.

If they sell out stacking the box and blitzing then eat their tails up with Slants, Quick Hitch/Curls, WR Screens (Bubbles/Tunnels), Smash routes, Shallow Crosses, In/Outs, RB Shoots, Bang-8's.......man just ANY of those.....get rid of it bang-bang in less than 2-3 seconds and get them to back off the LOS.

But when we face teams that we can't just line up against and dominate 'no matter what' our offense is relatively kept in check.

We are really really stubborn about slamming our heads into a wall trying to force something to work that's not working. We run right into the teeth of defenders or go with LONG developing pass plays. It's madness for me to watch most weeks.

We get away with all that more times than not because we always have a #1-2 Defense. We can be conservative and keep slamming our heads and still win....maybe by two scores even.

But if we would take what the defense gives us and exploit certain areas of weakness we would DESTROY even the 'Great Talented' opponents.

I don't think people realize just how far the Talent gap is between us and every other team in the SEC.... over AU, UGA, and even LSU.
I agree with everything you said in this post. I don't understand all the details of offensive play calls, but I do wonder why Daboll and/or Saban don't make in game adjustments better against decent defenses. I would think they'd see this when they go back to look at film. It is very frustrating to watch, but then again, I am a perfectionist when it comes to what I expect from BAMA football. Saban has "processed" me.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I agree with everything you said in this post. I don't understand all the details of offensive play calls, but I do wonder why Daboll and/or Saban don't make in game adjustments better against decent defenses. I would think they'd see this when they go back to look at film. It is very frustrating to watch, but then again, I am a perfectionist when it comes to what I expect from BAMA football. Saban has "processed" me.
Here's the thing - Saban knows that if his players execute perfectly that they can overcome all of this stuff thrown at them by other defenses. He knows it so deeply that he just expects them to improve their play as the game progresses. But what he has failed to recognize (at least publicly) is that sometimes they are just getting beat doing those things, and that it isn't going to change.

So, what do you do when that happens? If you haven't prepared for that contingency in your practice for that game, you are in trouble. You can't just start calling plays from 3 weeks ago - plays which you haven't repped in weeks. If you do (like Kiffin did against UW), you risk huge mistakes which could hurt the team more than a punt. So you are stuck with your game preparation.

So, I also call for in game adjustments, but I am more concerned that they have not prepared for this stuff before it happens. I mean, it's not like we haven't seen it happen before.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
You sign arguably the best dual threat QB in the country and you insist on making him a pocket passer. Dual threat to me is a QB that throws on the move not sitting back in the pocket as it collapses. IMO, we are not taking full advantage of Hurts's true abilities.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Here's the thing - Saban knows that if his players execute perfectly that they can overcome all of this stuff thrown at them by other defenses. He knows it so deeply that he just expects them to improve their play as the game progresses. But what he has failed to recognize (at least publicly) is that sometimes they are just getting beat doing those things, and that it isn't going to change.

So, what do you do when that happens? If you haven't prepared for that contingency in your practice for that game, you are in trouble. You can't just start calling plays from 3 weeks ago - plays which you haven't repped in weeks. If you do (like Kiffin did against UW), you risk huge mistakes which could hurt the team more than a punt. So you are stuck with your game preparation.

So, I also call for in game adjustments, but I am more concerned that they have not prepared for this stuff before it happens. I mean, it's not like we haven't seen it happen before.
It's one of the areas Saban contradicts himself when discussing. In one breath, he says "if you execute the play, it will work." The next breath, he says "you know... the guys on the other side are good and trying to stop us."

You sign arguably the best dual threat QB in the country and you insist on making him a pocket passer. Dual threat to me is a QB that throws on the move not sitting back in the pocket as it collapses. IMO, we are not taking full advantage of Hurts's true abilities.
I agree with you, but remember why he came to Alabama - to become a better pro-style QB. He and his dad wanted him to learn how to play the position from the pocket.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
While everyone is trying to analyze why the offense didn't score more points against LSU it should be noted that since Coach Saban has come to Alabama we have played LSU 11 times and only scored 30 or more points twice.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
On the subject of offense, I can't say I'd want to re-hire any of our previous OCs. Feels funny to say given our overall success.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I agree with you, but remember why he came to Alabama - to become a better pro-style QB. He and his dad wanted him to learn how to play the position from the pocket.
This is a really interesting and I think valid point. Is this more developing Hurts as a passer than I, and others might take into account? Is this about saying you will sit back there in the pocket and learn how to execute these longer developing routes.

The problem though, the big issue is he's not always getting time to do that. A lot of people were sick of the steady diet of short Kiffin passes, but at some point it does become like, may be some of those type plays would be a good counter to what the defenses are doing.

Last edited:

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
While everyone is trying to analyze why the offense didn't score more points against LSU it should be noted that since Coach Saban has come to Alabama we have played LSU 11 times and only scored 30 or more points twice.
This is exactly why I never pick us to beat LSU very badly. They have become like Auburn, and I guess everyone in the SEC lately, because they put so much effort into beating us. It's why they are often flat after losing to us, in my opinion. I'm guessing that MSU didn't struggle with UMass last week because UMass is so awesome. I'm guessing they were looking forward to playing us.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I am not complaining about the number of points we scored against LSU. My complaint is that, in our remaining games, the offense will have to control the LOS, sustain drives and come away with points. We cannot rely solely on the defense and special teams, the offense has to step up.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
At a certain time in the game especially against certain teams I think CS says we have enough points let’s not beat ourselves punting is not a bad thing and that’s that. Frustrating for us fans.

danb

All-SEC
Dec 4, 2011
Hazel Green, AL
It was DJ Fluker who started stomping and pumping his fist - Gary D noted (one of his great strengths) and we ground it out from there.
I remember reading about DJ lining up and taunting Georgia’s D line, telling them where the play was going prior to the snap, daring them to stop it!

bamanix

1st Team
Mar 24, 2010
unfortunately, I think the time has come to realize, our offensive line is average. Jalen has little time to pass from the pocket, and has to roll out a lot. I believe that is why ridley is the only effective receiver we have. Jalen has trust in him, and he gets open. we do not pass the little screens anymore since lane is gone, and I think that is a big mistake, with the backs we have. lsu manhandled our offensive line and little imagination on offense. it always takes till the second half to get a north south rush. Jacobs save our bacon in the second half with his moves and desire. when the offense is not clicking the defense has suffered. we cannot stop 3d and less than 5 yards plays well. obviously, with the loss of several linebackers, we are in trouble. rookies are rookies. auburn looked every part a top team destroying Georgia. I really don't know if Georgia is that much overrated for beating notre dame or auburn is just clicking on all cylinders. k. Johnson is a beast even without Pettway. could not rush stidham enough.
our offensive line looks like they are not just aggressive enough, and they are slow.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
unfortunately, I think the time has come to realize, our offensive line is average. Jalen has little time to pass from the pocket, and has to roll out a lot. I believe that is why ridley is the only effective receiver we have. Jalen has trust in him, and he gets open. we do not pass the little screens anymore since lane is gone, and I think that is a big mistake, with the backs we have. lsu manhandled our offensive line and little imagination on offense. it always takes till the second half to get a north south rush. Jacobs save our bacon in the second half with his moves and desire. when the offense is not clicking the defense has suffered. we cannot stop 3d and less than 5 yards plays well. obviously, with the loss of several linebackers, we are in trouble. rookies are rookies. auburn looked every part a top team destroying Georgia. I really don't know if Georgia is that much overrated for beating notre dame or auburn is just clicking on all cylinders. k. Johnson is a beast even without Pettway. could not rush stidham enough.
our offensive line looks like they are not just aggressive enough, and they are slow.
Funny, you say this. People were on Hurts for not throwing ball..and the blame shifted to OL...I agree there is problem within OL.. which can be easily corrected. JC Hass did well last night. Graded out at 87 percent. The left side looked lot better throughout the game. Cotton improved... but had his moment here and there.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
We seem to block the "sweep" or wide plays better than up the middle. As I looked at the season it seems to me that Bo Scarborough is a better "I" running back than as we are currently using him. He is not a shifty, cut back runner like Damian Harris. He takes 2-3 steps to get to speed and then runs over or away from you. I liked what Daboll tried in the 2nd half with the changes...not sure if they will work against AU as their DE's are pretty stout.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.