Game Thread: OFFICIAL POST-GAME THREAD - Bama vs. MSU...

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
If injuries........they stink.......but let me just remind everyone that Nick Saban once won an SEC title game when his starting QB went out with an injury in the first half and his team was down 17-7 to a team that was in the national title game if they won. He put in the backup because he had no choice.......and the backup won the game MVP award.

That was LSU his second year as coach and making decisions on the fly.........he's got time to pull this one off, too.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
We are getting little love now. UGA and ND love has now switched to OU and Miami. Not talking about us. Now having the media treat Auburn like an equal .... this is a great place for our team to be.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I think the silver lining in this year's defense not being as dominant and actually having weaknesses was shown last night. Our offense and the stars on the offense had no choice but to get out of the passenger's seat, take the wheel and drive. Like Jalen told the team at the half. Get on the bus, he's driving and it's about to leave. (In the past) I think the staff has had a tendency to shut the offense down too quick because they knew the defense was that dominant. That will not be the case going forward. Can't afford to and we the fans are going to be the beneficiary of watching an offense full throttle for the rest of the season.

I still think we can win a NC. But if we do it's going to be on the backs of those guys on offense. Not on defense. When the heat got turned up last night the physical talent we have on offense started to rise and boy did they rise. Last night's game was good for us. Very, very good.

Last edited:

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
I'm glad, too - but I am concerned that winning this game after playing so poorly may hurt them.
Ummm...Think I`d rather have a struggle win, particularly at this stage of the season, than what happened to your Buckeyes a couple of weeks ago at Iowa. Bet OSU would too.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Ummm...Think I`d rather have a struggle win, particularly at this stage of the season, than what happened to your Buckeyes a couple of weeks ago at Iowa. Bet OSU would too.
No doubt, but my point is no less valid.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I think the silver lining in this year's defense not being as dominant and actually having weaknesses was shown last night. Our offense and the stars on the offense had no choice but to get out of the passenger's seat, take the wheel and drive. Like Jalen told the team at the half. Get on the bus, he's driving and it's about to leave. (In the past) I think the staff has had a tendency to shut the offense down too quick because they knew the defense was that dominant. That will not be the case going forward. Can't afford to and we the fans are going to be the beneficiary of watching an offense full throttle for the rest of the season.

I still think we can win a NC. But if we do it's going to be on the backs of those guys on offense. Not on defense. When the heat got turned up last night the physical talent we have on offense started to rise and boy did they rise. Last night's game was good for us. Very, very good.
Great point. I hope that you are right.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
OK, maybe. Do you think a loss would have been preferable? Look, I`m concerned too, as I think most of us are.
No, but the win might cause a more devastating loss. The players were celebrating. I get the happiness. I was celebrating. But if they don't realize now that giving less than 100% on every play is unacceptable then you are in trouble, because there are teams out there that do realize that and are playing accordingly.

I am not saying that this team is complacent, but it sure is inconsistent.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Didn’t get to watch the game because I was traveling home from West Tennessee. Listened to Eli and what I could gather:

This is tired, beat up football team, especially on defense. Love Keith Holcombe’s heart, but we’ve got two weeks for Dylan Moses to improve. We’re going have to “dance with Evans and Moses” the rest of the way. Our defense is predicated on our lb’s filling gaps and making stops in the run game. Minkah still isn’t 100% either and he is the “straw that stirs the drink” on defense. On a more positive note, even with all those issues, the defense managed to make stops when they had to. Lesser teams would have lost this game.

Jonah and Ross are the glue on that o-line. We’ve got two weeks to get them healthy and back in sync. We have to be able to run the ball against Auburn. If not, it will be a long afternoon. We don’t have to rush for 300 yards, but enough to keep them honest and off Jalen. The secondary is the Achilles heel for Auburn. Jalen will need to have a big game in the air to beat them.

Most would think I’m crazy but I like our position. We have two weeks to get healthy and find some solutions. I think the players recognize it and last night’s game showed them they have much to improve on the next tso weeks. Honestly I feel better going into Auburn winning that game last night when chips were down than I would have going out there and “wallowed around” for four quarters and win by three touchdowns. At this point, it is about surviving and winning. That is what we did last night.

And this I know: if there is one coach that can get this team ready for Auburn in two weeks, it is Nick Saban.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
No, but the win might cause a more devastating loss. The players were celebrating. I get the happiness. I was celebrating. But if they don't realize now that giving less than 100% on every play is unacceptable then you are in trouble, because there are teams out there that do realize that and are playing accordingly.

I am not saying that this team is complacent, but it sure is inconsistent.
There was no lack of effort last night. There were kids playing who have had only a few reps this year and literally didn't know where to be. Worse, older players were trying to cover for them, rather than doing their own jobs. Holcombe, who is limited ability-wise, had to go back out because he knows the playbook and the calls...

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA

Nice post. But we have to keep our offense injury free. Last night, Bo did something to his leg, Henry Ruggs was in a brace after the game, and Ross P sprained his ankle. Hopefully these injuries will heal before the Iron Bowl. We should play our 3rd stringers v Mercer after the 1st quarter to help prevent injuries. Seems we get at least 2 per game that are significant.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Nice post. But we have to keep our offense injury free. Last night, Bo did something to his leg, Henry Ruggs was in a brace after the game, and Ross P sprained his ankle. Hopefully these injuries will heal before the Iron Bowl. We should play our 3rd stringers v Mercer after the 1st quarter to help prevent injuries. Seems we get at least 2 per game that are significant.
Piersbacher's ankle directly caused one sack...

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
I would like to say that while I was heated about the refs yesterday, looking back most of the calls they did make were correct. They didn't do too bad of a job. The PI on the Hail Mary was correct. The leaping call was correct. The defensive holding call on Hootie was correct. The Ridley sideline call was probably 50-50 on if the defender forced him out. Etc. I would like to see one game though where blatant holding calls on the other team are called. The set of downs just prior to MSU throwing bombs into the endzone to end the game was set up because one of our DL in pursuit of Fitzgerald was being dragged down from behind by an O lineman and it slowed the DL down considerably. The ref looked at the hold, reached for his flag, then when the DL broke the OL's grasp, he decided not to throw it. That hold gave Fitzgerald the time he needed to convert the 3rd down and set MSU up at the 50. The fact that we have to play teams who just get mulligans on holding is infuriating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RWBTide

1st Team
Dec 8, 2013
Blue Half of Glasgow Scotland
The YouTube view from Scotland......

Great game, great game.

From reading this thread between plays I expected us to be poor, I didn't think we were.

We weren't awesome but we were good enough and Mississippi played a great game.

RTR

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Rarely get on here on game day, quit in game thread after all the hand wringing during one point Arky win a couple years ago. Glad to see all the positive folks here.
What a game and what a team !
I get nervous enough and figuratively need to pop some extra blood pressure pills as it is. I certainly don't need the stress of a game thread.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I would like to say that while I was heated about the refs yesterday, looking back most of the calls they did make were correct. They didn't do too bad of a job. The PI on the Hail Mary was correct. The leaping call was correct. The defensive holding call on Hootie was correct. The Ridley sideline call was probably 50-50 on if the defender forced him out. Etc. I would like to see one game though where blatant holding calls on the other team are called. The set of downs just prior to MSU throwing bombs into the endzone to end the game was set up because one of our DL in pursuit of Fitzgerald was being dragged down from behind by an O lineman and it slowed the DL down considerably. The ref looked at the hold, reached for his flag, then when the DL broke the OL's grasp, he decided not to throw it. That hold gave Fitzgerald the time he needed to convert the 3rd down and set MSU up at the 50. The fact that we have to play teams who just get mulligans on holding is infuriating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agree in part and disagree in part. On the obvious hold, I saw what you did. I think the ref thought the play was over and took a "no harm; no foul" attitude. Then Fitz surprised us all. He certainly surprised me with his throwing ability. 90% of my worry was about his running, pre-game. However, and I haven't had time to review the game yet, but, at the time, it appeared to me that our guy was stationary within one yard of the LOS and jumped straight up. Their OL drove under him, causing the defender to land on him. If I'm right, then it shouldn't have been a penalty...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I get nervous enough and figuratively need to pop some extra blook pressure pills as it is. I certainly don't need the stress of a game thread.
Well, I have to moderate them. From a combination of sticking with my vitamin K2 pills and the coronary bypass I had back in March, 2016, I've been able to get off the pills altogether. However, I check my BP and last night's game drove the systolic up to 153, which is acceptable. It had dropped back down to 131 shortly after the game... :D

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
Agree in part and disagree in part. On the obvious hold, I saw what you did. I think the ref thought the play was over and took a "no harm; no foul" attitude. Then Fitz surprised us all. He certainly surprised me with his throwing ability. 90% of my worry was about his running, pre-game. However, and I haven't had time to review the game yet, but, at the time, it appeared to me that our guy was stationary within one yard of the LOS and jumped straight up. Their OL drove under him, causing the defender to land on him. If I'm right, then it shouldn't have been a penalty...
I am sure you are right. I did not actually see that play as my tv station hadn't switched over yet. I got the feed after MSU was granted a first down.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
I thought Gene Chizik made a good point about the defense (Said no one ever until now!). He talked about Bama playing younger players in order to season them before post season play and the big games to avoid the scenario from last years championship game of having tired players on Defense.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.