Tidefans Feature Request - Bama Game Thread banishment

Status
Not open for further replies.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
I don't mind the negative posters. The only folks who get on my nerves are the ones who attack individual players. It's fair to notice a mistake, but saying that a player sucks crosses a line for me.
I've got a feeling that a lot of people who don't often would participate in the game threads if it weren't for the overly Negative Nancies.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I'm not suggesting that they do more than they are already doing; I was trying to suggest a feature that would make it easier to do what they're already doing and - as an ancillary benefit for the regular posters - help a little less "fall though the cracks".
It would be nice, but it's not really possible with vBulletin. About as fine as we can cut it is to ban certain posters from posting on certain forums. There's no way to ban certain posters from posting on certain threads. We'll just have to work with the tools we have. It's been a weird year here. On QBs, we've gone from thread after thread of whether we should be starting Tua to, in this game "save us, Jalen." (He did.) The game threads have turned more negative than they were during the Shula years. I can't explain it except just spoilation. Anyway, every player out there, including #42, is playing his heart out. A bunch of them are out there because someone with more experience, maybe more ability, has gone down. The next time I see piling on particular players, as I did tonight, I'll just shut down the game thread and we'll do without it. We can discuss the game later when tempers have cooled (and some have sobered up)...

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
To be fair, it's been a while since I moderated a forum; I didn't really have the "spare" time to devote to it then and certainly don't now. However, bans in general and, especially, temporary bans were always a bit clunky, at best. Maybe that's gotten better.

I do know you guys often try to PM posters before you take any action and I was thinking that, if nothing else, this would eliminate that at-least-somewhat-time-consuming task from taking the mods away from the game threads.
Everyone should consider themselves warned at this point: The next few weeks will be difficult for those who cannot exhibit self control. I don't believe I'm alone in rarin' to go when it comes to putting a stop to nonsense over the next few weeks. By now everyone should know the rules and follow them if they choose to be here. If the AU game is close like I expect then some people are going to take a vacation. We don't want to have to do that, though, so hopefully people will heed good counsel.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
Here's your solution: create two game threads 1) Crimson colored glasses optimists, 2) woe is me eeyores. ;)

Seriously, I just avoid the football game thread because I'm an eternal optimist - when it comes to 'Bama - and don't have time for the negativity.

CrimsonSEC

Hall of Fame
Jan 8, 2007
Brewton
JMO, but the heavy moderation is the only thing holding back the offensive hordes who have taken over virtually every social media site/application out there. Tidefans is an oasis surrounded on all sides by madness.
Wow, well said B1G, post of the month at least.:hurray:

russtang

All-American
Apr 11, 2007
Central Alabama
www.uniquetitanium.com
There were many eeyores in the Au vs GA game thread. And we don't even play AU for two weeks. I didn't even want to view the game thread if they were that bad in a game we weren't even playing.

Looks like they made their way to the Bama game thread.

You couldn't pay me to be a Mod.

Thanks for what you do, guys.

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
I certainly appreciate actions taken by the mods to maintain TF as a well moderated site without the four and other letter words sprinkled so liberally on other sites. My father used to say that a person resorting to that kind of language must have a poor vocabulary. Have to agree with him. No player should be castigated individually for an error, even if it may look to be a bonehead play. These young men work practically year round so we can enjoy the Tide each season. So, let's have an agreement that only the perfect ones among us can be critical on individual players. As no one of us is perfect, then I guess we can't lay it on an individual player.

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
I've got a feeling that a lot of people who don't often would participate in the game threads if it weren't for the overly Negative Nancies.
I thought the game thread was very annoying to follow toniggt, but I would add that to me its not only the (extreme or panicky) negative posts about the game, but the whole non-football related endless complaining about stuff. I was also annoyed with the Eeyore baiters and taunters, too. And the overwrought McElroy hating. I'm pretty sure there are a lot of people who think they are contributing positively by bashing Eeyores and or commentators, but except in a few cases where a commentator's comment is really worth commenting on, these too are tedious to sort through. I know mods are different in that they have a job to do, but the rest of the anti-eyoree brigade just makes it worse for me.

I agree with BIG, personally I don't let most of hand wringing crowd bother me;, though I think it was plain childish of adults to be assuming we'd lose down by one possession in the third quarter. You'd think they'd never seen a comeback before in their life. I agree with BIG that it crosses the line with saying "so-and-so sucks" or "so-and-so cost us the game" kind of stuff. Besides that I wouldn't expect bans. I'd rather both sides positive and negative comment on the game instead of each othe. It reminds me of the how non-sports threads devolves into bickering.

Last edited:

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I certainly appreciate actions taken by the mods to maintain TF as a well moderated site without the four and other letter words sprinkled so liberally on other sites. My father used to say that a person resorting to that kind of language must have a poor vocabulary. Have to agree with him. No player should be castigated individually for an error, even if it may look to be a bonehead play. These young men work practically year round so we can enjoy the Tide each season. So, let's have an agreement that only the perfect ones among us can be critical on individual players. As no one of us is perfect, then I guess we can't lay it on an individual player.
Exactly.

It's one thing to say someone got beat or has to perform better.

It's another to talk about how they should never play another down or some other such nonsense.

Why this is so hard for some to get is beyond me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.