Tidefans Feature Request - Bama Game Thread banishment

Status
Not open for further replies.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
Personally, I think it would be nice and beneficial for those who can control their tempers and keep their inner Eeyores on a leash during the game threads - as well as easier on the mods and admins - if it were possible to implement Bama-Game-Thread-Only bans.

Perhaps there could be a special tag or something that only mods and admins could set for Bama game threads which would preclude posters who have been designated as having a game thread ban from participating?

Ideally, for the benefit of the mods and admins, they would see two options for posts in Bama game threads: "Strike {x}" and "GT Ban". The strike button would depend upon how many strikes the user had previously received, e.g., "Strike 1" for zero previous strikes, "Strike 2" for one, etc., and a user who is given their third strike - for either foul language, player/coach bashing, excessive Eeyore-ness, etc. - would automatically receive the game thread banishment. The "GT Ban" button, obviously, would immediately give the poster a game thread banishment for egregious violations.

As for the duration of the ban, there are several options there. It could be just for the remainder of the current game thread and/or the upcoming game thread; for a certain number of days; and/or semi-permanent, i.e., having to be manually reset by a mod or admin.

For posters who do have issues with game threads, it gives them a little bit of a safety net in order to participate, knowing that taking it "a little too far" only affects their posting privileges within the game thread and not on the board as a whole.

Of course, anything that would get you a board suspension in a normal thread would still get you a board suspension in a game thread.

What do you guys think?

Mods and admins, do you think this might make moderating the game threads a little easier?

Regular posters, do you think this might make the game threads more enjoyable?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I don't mind the negative posters. The only folks who get on my nerves are the ones who attack individual players. It's fair to notice a mistake, but saying that a player sucks crosses a line for me.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Easier to just avoid the GT.

I have only one monitor, and it doubles as my TV, so I have no choice to avoid it!

(Also, listen to Eli & Co, on the innerwebs. You'll enjoy the game more.) (Assuming you can stomach all the stupid interruptions TuneIn throws in, usually right before a critical play.)

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
Then you wouldn't be talking to anyone; one can would have to be for your mouth.

A big part of it, I think, would be helping out the mods. They're already having to try to warn - in the thread and/or with private messages - posters to change their behavior. This way, the mods just have to click a button inside the thread and the poster knows they've been "warned" with a strike and that they'll be out with a third strike.

Last edited by a moderator:

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
Then you wouldn't be talking to anyone; one can would have to be for your mouth.

A big part of it, I think, would be helping out the mods. They're already having to try to warn - in the thread and/or with private messages - posters to change their behavior. This way, the mods just have to click a button inside the thread and the poster knows they've been "warned" with a strike and that they'll be out with a third strike.
It must really suck to be a mod. You are more worked about banning people th sn watching the game.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I don't mind the negative posters. The only folks who get on my nerves are the ones who attack individual players. It's fair to notice a mistake, but saying that a player sucks crosses a line for me.
The stuff with #42 was well out of bounds from several folks I thought.

There are several people who quit on the team before the 4th qtr even started.

I'm all for Mods going and finding those posters and giving them the Eeyore Avatar for the rest of the year.....especially when they give on the team and then won't even apologize and own up to it postgame.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
Agreed, where do you draw the line on what irritates someone? I get bad language bans and such, but being over critical or banning for going a bit far, seems like a slippery slope. When you start regulating content, where does it stop and at what point will folks leave as they feel they cannot speak freely? Just my opinion, it is up to the mods it is their site.
It stops where the rules say it stops and, just like regular board moderation, it is up to the mods/admins.

Do you think I'm suggesting that regular posters be able to give each other strikes? That'd just be silly.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
I don't enjoy the eeyores but banning them would be based on a subjective judgment call.

Generally, TIDE-HSV (Earle) is realistic with his comments -- he will question some things but if he gives you a warning or a ban, it's always well deserved imo.

I have seen the same thing from the other mods as well. I prefer to keep things as they are and I'll just throw out some minor "critiquing" towards the eeyores during the games and call it even :) no harm no foul.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Not sure how you arrive at that conclusion, but whatever, bub.

(This comes from a guy who has been kicked off of technical forums, for arguing with Mods that have a PhD.

In a totally unrelated field. Who pretend to know more than I do, when that subject is what I specialize in. Just because they have a few extra degrees. You really want to compare TF to one of those boards?)

(This also comes from a guy who moderated another of those technical forums. Let's just say the job is far more difficult than you probably imagine. It isn't easy, it is never fun, and there is always someone who is mad at you.)

Time for my nap.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
JMO, but the heavy moderation is the only thing holding back the offensive hordes who have taken over virtually every social media site/application out there. Tidefans is an oasis surrounded on all sides by madness.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
JMO, but the heavy moderation is the only thing holding back the offensive hordes who have taken over virtually every social media site/application out there. Tidefans is an oasis surrounded on all sides by madness.
Completely agree with this, B1GTide!

Any other forum or discussion list that is not completely private or one you have to pay for is almost impossible for any decent human to participate in civil discussion without very active mod involvement.

A Python programming language forum I've been a member of has had to go to pay-format -- not so much to pay for the hosting and all that but just to keep the jerks away. There's something about humans being anonymous on the interwebs that keep them from being civil. That's too bad but that's life.

If we have to "over-mod" this board to keep it fun (I never view my time here as wasted as a result), then so be it.

Perrett4Bama

All-American
Aug 28, 2001
Panama City, Florida
AMEN..... I actually respect the fact that this site is heavily moderated. It's nice to login and read post, get updates etc..without all of the cursing and garbage that all or should I say most of the other sites "offer". Tidefans is the best.... Roll Tide..... Now I'm headed back to the TV to watch our final two drives, AGAIN!

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
The stuff with #42 was well out of bounds from several folks I thought.
There are several people who quit on the team before the 4th qtr even started.
Yes, I don't know who they thought #42 should be replaced with. We don't have many options. I never felt the game was lost because I kept thinking about the Ole Miss comeback last season.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
Agree 100%! I hate reading comments on Facebook and Twitter. It is ridiculous.

If you (in general) don’t like how this board is moderated...then

Last edited:

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
There's a reason why I didn't log in on TF.... Because I knew I would be ....ed. I wait until the game is over to come back here. I suggest for anyone who has trouble keeping their emotions in check to avoid coming here until you calm down.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
We have a rule against questioning the moderation/moderators on the open board.

If you have a beef, take it up in a private message.

This is a benevolent dictatorship It is not a democracy. We want everyone to enjoy the board and we want no one to ruin it for everyone else.

If this isn't the board for you then there are other boards. The owner of this site has chosen deliberately to run it the way he does. He wants it family friendly and generally positive - as fanship should be.

Criticism is not discouraged at all. However, there is a different between legitimate criticism and overly harsh criticism. Sometimes it's a fine line, a judgment call. But this site will not change as it regards the family atmosphere or abusive comments.

The game threads in particular serve a purpose beyond gathering with your friends around the TV. Frankly, I would kick some of the people posting certain things out of my house if they behaved that way there. It's no different here.

You are in Brett's house. He built it. You're all welcome, but there are rules. Same as my house. Probably the same as yours.

As for the original suggestion: I get it, but we expect grown people to act like grown people. Is that too much too ask? No. It isn't.

We do have the means to issue temporary bans to posters who can't keep themselves in check. I expect several to be handed out if grown people don't act grown in the next few weeks.

I've been happy for years that this site has the rules it has, long before I became a moderator. As a group, I believe we exercise a fair amount of restraint and patience. I'm thankful for the times I was on the receiving end and try to extend that same restraint and patience to others.

I know many more appreciate the rules of this board than don't. Otherwise, it would not be the success it is. I'm glad no one here has to endure profanity, personal attacks, and the other things that are allowed on other boards.

I hope everyone has a splendid evening.

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina
I just checked out of the GT. I won't sit with all that negative stuff and whining about players so that is my choice. I don't like that I have to do that but there is always a "best option". I don't see how the mods can parse the threads any heavier than they do now and still enjoy the game.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
...As for the original suggestion: I get it, but we expect grown people to act like grown people. Is that too much too ask? No. It isn't.

We do have the means to issue temporary bans to posters who can't keep themselves in check. I expect several to be handed out if grown people don't act grown in the next few weeks...
To be fair, it's been a while since I moderated a forum; I didn't really have the "spare" time to devote to it then and certainly don't now. However, bans in general and, especially, temporary bans were always a bit clunky, at best. Maybe that's gotten better.

I do know you guys often try to PM posters before you take any action and I was thinking that, if nothing else, this would eliminate that at-least-somewhat-time-consuming task from taking the mods away from the game threads.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
I just checked out of the GT. I won't sit with all that negative stuff and whining about players so that is my choice. I don't like that I have to do that but there is always a "best option". I don't see how the mods can parse the threads any heavier than they do now and still enjoy the game.
I'm not suggesting that they do more than they are already doing; I was trying to suggest a feature that would make it easier to do what they're already doing and - as an ancillary benefit for the regular posters - help a little less "fall though the cracks".

Status
Not open for further replies.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.