Pondering the call on the 1st Hail Mary

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
What's funny about the penalty is I think Fitzgerald forgot/didn't realize it was 15 yards and inexplicably threw over the endzone. :) So really we should be thanking 42 ;)
I mean I'm glad it wasn't a 5 yarder
I also laughed when the ref fixed the placement of the ball 5 yards closer. Probably messed up Fitzgerald. Maybe should have kept the ball 5 yards back. Haha.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Again, they didn’t call a penalty on the review. Ridley stepped out of bounds and was the first player to touch the ball without reestablishing himself. They made the right call, no penalty was assessed.
I don't see it quite so black and white. It is true that Calvin wasn't pushed out at the point where his foot left the field of play. OTOH, he was pushed a couple of steps further back upfield. I thought there could have been an overturn based on the push making him alter his route and lose his balance momentarily. The eyes in the sky didn't see it that way... :)

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
I don't see it quite so black and white. It is true that Calvin wasn't pushed out at the point where his foot left the field of play. OTOH, he was pushed a couple of steps further back upfield. I thought there could have been an overturn based on the push making him alter his route and lose his balance momentarily. The eyes in the sky didn't see it that way... :)
Oh, I agree with that. You could definitely make the argument that he was pushed out. I guess what I meant was the refs deemed he was not forced out, and as such, they made the right call. No penalty was assessed though, the result was simply an incomplete pass because of the illegal touching.

Some folks were confused that there was a penalty assessed retroactively, which there was not.

Last edited:

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
That wasn't roughing the kicker; we were called for "Leaping".
Leaping is in the eye of the beholder.

You can leap over a pile of players into the endzone.

You can Leap up to knock down or catch a pass.

BUT.... You can't leap a player to block a kick...
KINDA SELECTIVE IF YOU ASK ME...

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Oh, I agree with that. You could definitely make the argument that he was pushed out. I guess what I meant was the refs deemed he was not forced out, and as such, they made the right call. No penalty was assessed though, the result was simply an incomplete pass because of the illegal touching.

Some folks were confused that there was a penalty assessed retroactively, which there was not.
The ref announced that the ball was caught inbounds but there was a foul for illegal touching. The penalty for illegal touching is loss of down and the ball goes back to the line of scrimmage. The penalty had to have been assessed retroactively or else the review of a completed pass would have held up; there was no initial call that the receiver was illegal due to stepping out of bounds then returning to the field.

The initial review was to see if Ridley's catch was completed inbounds. MSU could have declined the penalty; which they would have done if something additional had happened that resulted in a turnover like if the ball was tipped by Ridley and intercepted or if Ridley stayed inbounds and fumbled.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Leaping is in the eye of the beholder.

You can leap over a pile of players into the endzone.

You can Leap up to knock down or catch a pass.

BUT.... You can't leap a player to block a kick...
KINDA SELECTIVE IF YOU ASK ME...
It's a safety rule. If you leap a blocker like that, he can flip you over and cause you to land on your head/neck. Trying to reduce the players from making risky plays that can cause injury to themselves or another.

I didn't think the Bama player actually tried to leap the defender, though. He jumped between the two State players to block it, and one State player pushed him, which caused him to appear to leap.

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
Again, they didn’t call a penalty on the review. Ridley stepped out of bounds and was the first player to touch the ball without reestablishing himself. They made the right call, no penalty was assessed.
Well, I need to watch it again, but I thought Ridley got pushed out by the DB who was strong arming him down the field. I didn't think he went out on his own. It was a great catch though.

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
I have never seen PI called on a hail mary in the end zone - ever. That said, #42 was absolutely guilty of PI. The grabbed the receiver, then fell to the ground and pulled the receiver with him. You have to call that. Situational awareness - #42 had none there.
You are correct sir.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.