JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
MSU wrap-up: Hurts cementing legacy as a clutch QB
by Jess Nicholas
TideFans Editor-In-Chief
November 12th, 2017 04:28 AM

For three quarters, everything was pointing to a Mississippi State upset victory over Alabama. Alabama’s injuries at inside linebacker had finally caught up with the Crimson Tide, the defense couldn’t get off the field on third down and the Alabama offense was boom/bust, scoring quickly at times […]

Read More Here

Last edited by a moderator:

TrueCrimson7

All-American
Sep 21, 2014
USA
Excellent write-up. Once again, the Auburn game will (likely) be the deciding factor for our championship hopes. We found a way to win this one, and we can do the same in the coming weeks!

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I hope we can get some of our injuries cured by Auburn. I agree that it is too late to fix the Offence at this late date, we are what we are and that is a load of three and outs against a strong DL (which tires a defense that has a depleted experienced rotation) and a lot of BIG plays. Auburn is at home and on fire. I just hope they are not as good as they have looked the last couple of games. I'm gonna have an EMT watch the game with me. ;)

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
Great write up, Jess. I don't like it when the Auburn game decides the West. Too stressful:) I was surprised at how inconsistent our defense looked but am glad they did their job in the 4th quarter. Iron bowl will be a close game at Auburn with the refs.

BamaGreek

All-American
Jan 6, 2007
Brentwood, TN
As it's been stated various ways, they have Stidham and we have Jalen. I'll take Jalen every time. As far as the defense goes, Saban has no choice but to play the players he has and to devise a game plan that gives them the best chance to succeed. Let's get it on!

78Alum

All-American
Aug 1, 2007
Alabaster, AL
Thanks, Jess. Great write-up. That was too stressful. The Auburn game becomes really scary. I don't now how we fix the ILB issues but I surely hope Coach Saban pulls something out of his hat.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Mississippi State controlled the game, until Jalen Hurts 'Gutted Them'. MSU ran at will and we didn't stop them. Our rushing attack was on life support until the 4th quarter.
The MSU coaches, players, and fans thought they had the game in the bag...
THEN...
Jalen took control of the game. Jalen ran well, Jalen passed well, and the rest of our team responded. Suddenly our OL blocked, our DL stopped them.
And Alabama took what was a likely loss and turned it into a win.
The Mississippi State Fans were in shock... So was Jesse Palmer and the other idiots in the booth.
As for Alabama... the trip home was better than it could have been.
ROLL TIDE ROLL.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Great analysis as usual...i was worried about this game for the last month and playing without our top LB's didn't help. I can remember when MSU wanted to win the fight more than the game. Being post LSU never helps us...

I have noticed that Tony Brown gets targeted by other teams -- happened last year by Clemson. He's a great athlete, but somehow that has not translated to coverage skills. I am not sure why...he seems to be trying. Hootie did have a miserable game for him...and Rashaan as well...I agree that both seemed to be trying to makeup for others.

I was surprised that Holcombe did not play better. He has played well when called on earlier in the year. He might have been trying too hard as well and putting too much pressure on himself. The next two weeks should be interesting to say the least.

This may be the proverbial blessing in disguise. We have to shift around an underperforming OL as well as review our offensive strategy. I do think that having JH run more RPO might lead to better drives at the start. We just don't seem to block well in the beginning. Or we could put in a fullback and run Bo S. from the I. Either way we need to do some quick reviewing and decision making or this promising season will end in disappointment.

rtrbama1

1st Team
May 31, 2015
On that 31 yard pass to Ridley on 3rd and 15 right before the winning TD, Damien did a great job of picking up the blitzer--just buried him.

Last edited:

PDL

All-SEC
Oct 16, 2005
Birmingham, AL
I kinda dreaded Jess’ write up because I thought it would be of my mindset after the game, all doom and gloom. So I was very happy to read the title and see that Jess put it in a better context. I agree. We should celebrate our comeback, and more specifically, our “ice water in his veins” QB. We have plenty of concerns, especially for the Auburn game that I’m not excited about, but that can wait for now. Let’s enjoy this victory and how hard our boys worked for it.

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
Worked 11 to 10 pm on Saturday. If anyone knows when they will replay the game it would be appreciated.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.