The "Leaping" Penalty

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I thought it was a dubious call and a dubious rule. I get what they were trying to stop, but that call was more like you're not supposed to jump to block a kick. That's absurd.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I thought it was a dubious call and a dubious rule. I get what they were trying to stop, but that call was more like you're not supposed to jump to block a kick. That's absurd.
Again, I think it's a good rule for protecting neck/head injuries.

It's not the leaping that is dangerous, but trying to leap a blocker that's stationed close to the punter.

Perhaps a better rule adjustment might be to ban building a wall of blockers so close to where the punter kicks the ball. But since the rule is what it is, it was correctly called IMO.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
I think No. 2 below should have come into play on the attempt. As I mentioned before, it appeared to me that the Bama player attempted to leap through the gap and the offensive player moved over and under him.

No defensive player who is inside the tackle box may try to block a punt
by leaving his feet in an attempt to leap directly over an opponent.
1. It is not a foul if the player tries to block the punt by jumping
straight up without attempting to leap over the opponent.
2. It is not a foul if a player attempts to leap through or over the gap
between players.

GHoppr

Suspended
Oct 18, 2017
Madison, AL.
They need to seriously reconsider this penalty at the end of the year. Seems like every year, they come up with some bone headed penalty. You can bet this was festered by some momma somewhere saying "protect my baby." They might as well make blocking punts and FG attempts illegal. It's ridiculous.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.