Managing Starters for Mercer

IM4UA

1st Team
Aug 10, 2003
Alabaster, AL, US
I certainly hope someone in the media asks Coach this question. I’ll throw in the requisite $20 in case there is a follow up from a second reporter.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
Do not forget Mercer gave aubs a game, so do not get to cocky about 2nd team getting in fast. we need to come to play, put em down and move on. After this last game we better tackle and block much better.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Do not forget Mercer gave aubs a game, so do not get to cocky about 2nd team getting in fast. we need to come to play, put em down and move on. After this last game we better tackle and block much better.
Auburn was in their typical September form when they played Mercer. They do this every year and then get much, much better as the season goes on.

It's why I've been a fan of moving the game to September...for this reason and a few more.

Toddrn

All-American
Nov 29, 2006
Woodstock, Ga
Just don't want them to sit for so long that it's like getting a week off and then they come out slow in the IB. Start slow in the IB and we may not catch up. I also agree we need to try as many combo's as possible at LB to find which group works best.

G-VilleTider

Suspended
Aug 17, 2006
Starters should play as little as possible with the exception of the LBs trying to learn their new jobs. Can't risk injuries on offense, and have to accept the risk of injury to get the LBs up to speed.
I mostly agree with this. Especially wrt LB tryouts. We may also need to do this to some degree wrt Oline because of injury there. We are going to have to have good groups ready because that Auburn front 7 on D is nasty and without really good LB play, their O can run on most.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I mostly agree with this. Especially wrt LB tryouts. We may also need to do this to some degree wrt Oline because of injury there. We are going to have to have good groups ready because that Auburn front 7 on D is nasty and without really good LB play, their O can run on most.
LB tryouts? Doubt it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
I say we trot the starters out for the first TD and then mass subs ala NCAA Football (the video game) style. Especially on defense in the back end, and Jalen and Bo.

G-VilleTider

Suspended
Aug 17, 2006
LB tryouts? Doubt it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Sorry, I didn't mean replacing people. I meant just finding the best groupings for each of our different looks. In other words, in a game where we would normally go with mostly vanilla defensive looks, I am curious if we "tryout" some of our LBs in different areas as a preparation for AU.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I'd like to see another struggle win vs. Mercer so Alabama loses it's #1 ranking and gets totally disrespected by the media all week leading up to the Auburn game. ;)

carder24

All-American
Sep 1, 2007
Huntsville, AL
I'd like to see another struggle win vs. Mercer so Alabama loses it's #1 ranking and gets totally disrespected by the media all week leading up to the Auburn game. ;)
there has to be a balance between knowing we’re better and playing at that level with confidence vs having some doubt about execution and whether feeling fully measured up to start...

like to think everyone that steps in is confident, measured, and ready to go; but since we’re talking about a handful of guys who were expecting to rotate at best or occasionally spell, rather than start at this point...

then I’d like to see the guys who need to gain the higher level confidence if possible - by not struggling this week

similarly, msu game was tough, but hopefully it was confidence building for the team that they made the stops and made the scores in the second half to win

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pigsinspace

1st Team
Jan 26, 2011
Coach Sabah may not look at this game as a scrimmage, but I expect the game plan to include work on the OL and with the LB's.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Thing is, we don't have enough ILBs to only play the '2nd team'. With only three healthy at least one starter will have to be in the game at all times, unless we pull an OLB convert over for their first action inside...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.