Never too early to think of Iron Bowl - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BamaNation Second Team smith5753's Avatar

Re: Never too early to think of Iron Bowl

Hello everyone, I realize I don't post very often ( 2 kids, work nights every weekend, and finishing my MSN [graduate in 1 month!!!!]), but from my perspective, other than injuries on defense of course, I think we're in a great spot for the Iron Bowl. I think a sense of urgency was instilled in our leaders Saturday night and they rose to the occasion, when it mattered most, on both sides of the ball. Auburn meanwhile will be propped up by the media for two weeks much the same way Georgia was. For the record, I think Auburn is better than Georgia and would beat them again in a rematch... unfortunately for them I don't think they get the chance!

The issues on defense are obviously concerning but we can still play good defense. I bet you could't find one Oklahoma fan right now that doesn't believe they can beat anyone they play with Mayfield despite their porous defense. I'm going to personally rally around Jalen this same way. I believe he and our other offensive leaders take care of business. Early score prediction: Alabama 38 Auburn 26 (4 Carlson FGs). Champions overcome adversity. Let's go be champions. Roll Tide!!
    illegitimi non carborundum

"Look at the congratulations for Derrick Gore... and the sadness for the Gators." Verne Lundquist

"Who's the idiot that wanted Bama?" sane Washington fan

2. Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    Was it Joe Kines who had the quote about young players (with a lot of talent but little experience) that went something like "They don't know where they're going but they get there real fast."

LOL! I loved Kines.
    They asked Joe one time about one of his LBs who was really fast. Kines said: "That just means he can get out of position in a hurry!"

BamaNation All-American

Sheesh. C'mon people. I'd love it if we were underdogs to the plainsmenwareagletigers of the East Alabama Male College. I don't think we will be. I don't think we should be. They are getting (and taking) waaaaayy too much credit for beating Georgia. UGA proved to be soft along the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. Sure, they were undefeated in the conference -- against opponents with a combined conference record of 10 - 22. They beat a decent, not great, Notre Dame squad in what was nominally a road game, but if you watched it was more like a bowl game ticket split. In an odd sort of way, UGA and ND had both plumped up their reputations by playing a close game against each other and (mostly) beating up on a bunch of not very good teams (in UGA's case -- Appy State, Samford, TN, Vandy, Missouri, etc.)

Georgia has a good coach and he is developing a good program. They would be a stout opponent for most teams, Alabama included. They let the game slip away from them just before and after half time (and took something like 80 yards in penalties in the first half alone) and didn't have the resiliency to deal with the adversity.

It should be a good and challenging game in two weeks. The fact that we are basically down to one SEC-ready inside linebacker is a concern. But stop making them sound like they are the best team in college football history because they soundly beat the Bulldogs East (unless you are talking to them, then by all means inflate their egos till their helmets don't fit).
    Roll Tide

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

This is a game made for Jalen Hurts! He'll make some plays with his legs, but he's shown he can throw the ball in tighter spots down the middle of the field and I think he'll have a huge day.

Auburn will sell out to stop the run and JH will have to soften them up with some quick hitters. I think we'll have to try to establish a passing threat early, but JH is ready for this!

Defensively, I think we can attack Auburn's ground game more and we can blitz more with Stidham than we could with MSU's qb.

Right now, I think we should expect AU to move the ball and score some points. I think a higher scoring game favors us more. Low scoring means Carlson is the X factor.

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post
    This is a game made for Jalen Hurts! He'll make some plays with his legs, but he's shown he can throw the ball in tighter spots down the middle of the field and I think he'll have a huge day.

Auburn will sell out to stop the run and JH will have to soften them up with some quick hitters. I think we'll have to try to establish a passing threat early, but JH is ready for this!

Defensively, I think we can attack Auburn's ground game more and we can blitz more with Stidham than we could with MSU's qb.

Right now, I think we should expect AU to move the ball and score some points. I think a higher scoring game favors us more. Low scoring means Carlson is the X factor.
    Honestly this is THE main thing that concerns me. I know Carlson has missed a few more kicks this year than normal but still....we definitely DO NOT want to be in a FG kicking contest in this one.

I was feeling okay before but that doink against MSU with the game on the line has me seeing ghosts of past catastrophe's.

We MUST score TD's when we get in scoring range. AU will pretty much have an automatic 3 points anytime they get around the 35-40 yard line. We don't have that luxury.....or at least it's a huge unknown with HIGH stakes.

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tusks_n_raider View Post
    Honestly this is THE main thing that concerns me. I know Carlson has missed a few more kicks this year than normal but still....we definitely DO NOT want to be in a FG kicking contest in this one.

I was feeling okay before but that doink against MSU with the game on the line has me seeing ghosts of past catastrophe's.

We MUST score TD's when we get in scoring range. AU will pretty much have an automatic 3 points anytime they get around the 35-40 yard line. We don't have that luxury.....or at least it's a huge unknown with HIGH stakes.
    Yeah, he's got range from 55 and in. It probably would have been good for Poppy's confidence to kick the game winner instead of us scoring a TD, but I'd rather have TD's any day in any game.

JH will be the difference in the game and I think he'll do it with his feet and arm. We probably lose the special teams challenge, especially between Carlson and AP, but JH will be worth more points than JS and our 3 running backs will be worth more than their 1.

Assuming we can be their equal in the trenches, we've got more fire power than they do.

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by JustNeedMe81 View Post
    Too early to discuss this. We're focused on Mercer this week. We really need to fix our game this week.. Can't have Rat poison in our head this week.
    I was going to say this is way to late for this yrs IB talk, I am already planning for IB 2018 LOL

BamaNation All-American

i know it's not in our nature year in and year out, but this is a year where we need to forget about Mercer and just game plan for Auburn.
    there is no result against Mercer other than a loss that could affect our playoff prospects and there's no way we lose to them even if we simply run the starters out and run the most basic set of plays imaginable.
    why even waste 1 minute game planning for Mercer unless there is something specific they do that actually relates to something Auburn does?

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by deliveryman35 View Post
    Bama is 17-17 in the IB in the last 34 yrs and post-Bryant. Has no bearing directly on the upcoming game I know but it is an interesting stat for those of us that like to look at them. Not a record that us Bama fans would prefer but I think it does show why this series is regarded as one of the best rivalry games in all of sports.
    But that includes the worst 11 years in Bama history as well as the transition from Coach Bryant. Take out that sanction filled 11 year stretch and Bama is 37-20 since the series resumed in 1948. I.e., the norm is Bama wins. Even with it Bama is 40-28. If Bama had played AU between 1908-47, Bama would likely be ahead something like 74-45-1, rather than 44-35-1. But the past means little. Most know that the best team wins this game the vast majority of the time. The exceptions being 49, 72 wins for AU and ;59, 60, 84, 85, 01 wins for Bama. Some would make a case for AU in 2002 (Franchione game) and 2013 (AU was good and deserved that game. The FG return was a great play by them, not a failure by Saban or Griffith). I'm sure I'm missing something - this is mainly off of the top of my head.

If you want to look at "trends", 7 of 9, 3 in a row, and 3 of 4 at J-H are much more relevant than 34 years. But in reality neither matter much. Neither is intimidated, both want it badly and both are good. Bama has better players and Jalen and coaches. AU has a dominant DL and Bama injuries at one positon group and one position within that group. Though Bama is a great road team, it's usually better to be at home. Bama will probably have the psychological edge, since most of the media will be salivating and picking AU. And they will likely be propagating the myth that AU is better when both teams are top 10 or top 5.

BamaNation All-American bamabelle1991's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by smith5753 View Post
    Hello everyone, I realize I don't post very often ( 2 kids, work nights every weekend, and finishing my MSN [graduate in 1 month!!!!]), but from my perspective, other than injuries on defense of course, I think we're in a great spot for the Iron Bowl. I think a sense of urgency was instilled in our leaders Saturday night and they rose to the occasion, when it mattered most, on both sides of the ball. Auburn meanwhile will be propped up by the media for two weeks much the same way Georgia was. For the record, I think Auburn is better than Georgia and would beat them again in a rematch... unfortunately for them I don't think they get the chance!

The issues on defense are obviously concerning but we can still play good defense. I bet you could't find one Oklahoma fan right now that doesn't believe they can beat anyone they play with Mayfield despite their porous defense. I'm going to personally rally around Jalen this same way. I believe he and our other offensive leaders take care of business. Early score prediction: Alabama 38 Auburn 26 (4 Carlson FGs). Champions overcome adversity. Let's go be champions. Roll Tide!!
    I like your positive attitude!! Please stick around!! RTR!!

BamaNation Hall of Fame deliveryman35's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BamaInBham View Post
    But that includes the worst 11 years in Bama history as well as the transition from Coach Bryant. Take out that sanction filled 11 year stretch and Bama is 37-20 since the series resumed in 1948. I.e., the norm is Bama wins. Even with it Bama is 40-28. If Bama had played AU between 1908-47, Bama would likely be ahead something like 74-45-1, rather than 44-35-1. But the past means little. Most know that the best team wins this game the vast majority of the time. The exceptions being 49, 72 wins for AU and ;59, 60, 84, 85, 01 wins for Bama. Some would make a case for AU in 2002 (Franchione game) and 2013 (AU was good and deserved that game. The FG return was a great play by them, not a failure by Saban or Griffith). I'm sure I'm missing something - this is mainly off of the top of my head.

If you want to look at "trends", 7 of 9, 3 in a row, and 3 of 4 at J-H are much more relevant than 34 years. But in reality neither matter much. Neither is intimidated, both want it badly and both are good. Bama has better players and Jalen and coaches. AU has a dominant DL and Bama injuries at one positon group and one position within that group. Though Bama is a great road team, it's usually better to be at home. Bama will probably have the psychological edge, since most of the media will be salivating and picking AU. And they will likely be propagating the myth that AU is better when both teams are top 10 or top 5.
    It also includes arguably the BEST 10 years in Bama’s history(‘08 to ‘17).

MY point was this has been a very evenly matched series over the course of 35 years or so and as such is highly regarded as one of the best rivalries in all of sports. That was not the case before then. And yes I agree the best team does win this game most of the time. At full strength, we have the best team this year. However, with the injury situation I think we are somewhat handicapped and have an uphill, though certainly not impossible, battle in front of us.
    Last edited by deliveryman35; November 13th, 2017 at 11:45 PM.
    "Football is a hard game. These spread coaches forget that. Until good defenses remind them." Gene Stallings

BamaNation First Team

We have a few things in our Favor, NICK , Jalen, and side to side top to bottom I feel we are better team. Offensively we have more weapons, and a QB that can use them. If we can crowd the line and stop carryon and put game on their QB we will win. Will be epic game as it usually is but Nick has more wins than losses to the barn. The one big thing we have is that clemson loss still burning this team. I hope and I truly feel this team wants it more this year than last year. I truly feel we will find a way to get to NC game.

Quote Originally Posted by davefrat View Post
    i know it's not in our nature year in and year out, but this is a year where we need to forget about Mercer and just game plan for Auburn.
    there is no result against Mercer other than a loss that could affect our playoff prospects and there's no way we lose to them even if we simply run the starters out and run the most basic set of plays imaginable.
    why even waste 1 minute game planning for Mercer unless there is something specific they do that actually relates to something Auburn does?
    They can use Mercer as a chance to get someone like Dylan Moses or Keith Holcombe experience with handling assignments and communication. Or JC Hassenaeur more reps with the starting unit. Also work on general execution in all phases.
    Last edited by rtrbama1; November 14th, 2017 at 12:24 AM.