Never too early to think of Iron Bowl - Page 6
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    BamaNation All-American

Re: Never too early to think of Iron Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by deliveryman35 View Post
    It also includes arguably the BEST 10 years in Bama’s history(‘08 to ‘17).

MY point was this has been a very evenly matched series over the course of 35 years or so and as such is highly regarded as one of the best rivalries in all of sports. That was not the case before then. And yes I agree the best team does win this game most of the time. At full strength, we have the best team this year. However, with the injury situation I think we are somewhat handicapped and have an uphill, though certainly not impossible, battle in front of us.
    This is the 6th such 7-15 year "good" period in Bama's history. Bama has had but one other "bad" period 55-57, 3 years. 66 of Bama's last 94 years have been coached by 5 coaches with a winning % > 80. There are only 3 other such coaches in SEC history: Neyland, Spurrier at UF and Meyer. Bama has 5. So Wade/Thomas/Bryant/Stallings/Saban are the norm. AU's best according to winning % (53 years): Bowden, Dye, Tuberville, Jordan are 73, 71, 68, 67.5. That is similar to Bama's next level coaches (17 years): Curry, Franchione, Perkins, Drew at 72, 68, 67.7, 65 respectively. I.e., AU's best is considered only decent or even failures at Bama.

Why not choose a more relevant time, since Bama began its current run in 08, the series is 7-2 Bama, etc. Why do you choose a time frame that puts Bama in the worst light ? Or if going for history why not 50 years: 30-20. But you choose 34 years. This is not an even series. My point is that the norm is Bama 65-35. A couple of months ago LSU and AU fans were bragging on an SEC board that they had beaten Bama twice in the last 9 years, more than anyone else but OM, who was absent. I.e., their failure was less than the others. This is not an even series.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by rtrbama1 View Post
    They can use Mercer as a chance to get someone like Dylan Moses or Keith Holcombe experience with handling assignments and communication. Or JC Hassenaeur more reps with the starting unit. Also work on general execution in all phases.
    I personally think that`s exactly what this game will (and should ) be about.

BamaNation Hall of Fame deliveryman35's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BamaInBham View Post
    This is the 6th such 7-15 year "good" period in Bama's history. Bama has had but one other "bad" period 55-57, 3 years. 66 of Bama's last 94 years have been coached by 5 coaches with a winning % > 80. There are only 3 other such coaches in SEC history: Neyland, Spurrier at UF and Meyer. Bama has 5. So Wade/Thomas/Bryant/Stallings/Saban are the norm. AU's best according to winning % (53 years): Bowden, Dye, Tuberville, Jordan are 73, 71, 68, 67.5. That is similar to Bama's next level coaches (17 years): Curry, Franchione, Perkins, Drew at 72, 68, 67.7, 65 respectively. I.e., AU's best is considered only decent or even failures at Bama.

Why not choose a more relevant time, since Bama began its current run in 08, the series is 7-2 Bama, etc. Why do you choose a time frame that puts Bama in the worst light ? Or if going for history why not 50 years: 30-20. But you choose 34 years. This is not an even series. My point is that the norm is Bama 65-35. A couple of months ago LSU and AU fans were bragging on an SEC board that they had beaten Bama twice in the last 9 years, more than anyone else but OM, who was absent. I.e., their failure was less than the others. This is not an even series.
    Alabama's ALL-TIME win percentage against the barn is .562(45-35-1 record)--in other words, we've won 56% of the games. So yes, Bama holds a slight edge in the series. Obviously, yes, both teams have had their periods of domination, like Bama currently winning 7 of the last 10 and 9 in a row in the '70's. The barn dominated in the '80's and in the early 2000's. Taken together collectively and added up, it's been a very competitive series.

We both are looking at the same thing, but from two different and historical perspectives, I guess is the best way to put it. And from a national perspective, I still argue that this series is highly regarded because it is NOT lopsided in favor of one or the other, like many of the other series out there that are(OU/Okie State, Notre Dame/USC, OU/Texas, etc.) That's what makes it such a hard-fought, bitter rivalry and one of, again, the best in all of sports.

Again, I'm talking about the SERIES between the two schools. Let there be no doubt who the best PROGRAM is though--the barn can't hold a candle to what Bama has accomplished and never will. But we all already know that.
    Last edited by deliveryman35; November 14th, 2017 at 10:22 AM.
    "Football is a hard game. These spread coaches forget that. Until good defenses remind them." Gene Stallings

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by deliveryman35 View Post
    Alabama's ALL-TIME win percentage against the barn is .562(45-35-1 record)--in other words, we've won 56% of the games. So yes, Bama holds a slight edge in the series. Obviously, yes, both teams have had their periods of domination, like Bama currently winning 7 of the last 10 and 9 in a row in the '70's. The barn dominated in the '80's and in the early 2000's. Taken together collectively and added up, it's been a very competitive series.

We both are looking at the same thing, but from two different and historical perspectives, I guess is the best way to put it. And from a national perspective, I still argue that this series is highly regarded because it is NOT lopsided in favor of one or the other, like many of the other series out there that are(OU/Okie State, Notre Dame/USC, OU/Texas, etc.) That's what makes it such a hard-fought, bitter rivalry and one of, again, the best in all of sports.

Again, I'm talking about the SERIES between the two schools. Let there be no doubt who the best PROGRAM is though--the barn can't hold a candle to what Bama has accomplished and never will. But we all already know that.
    My point is that under normal circumstances Bama wins 65% of the time - essentially 2-1. I would supply the numbers and rational, but I know we're both tired of this and it really means nothing regarding this game.

BamaNation Hall of Fame cbi1972's Avatar

In my lifetime, Bama has not beaten good Auburn teams very often.
    Saban in particular has not beaten good Auburn teams.
    Auburn usually beats Alabama if they beat Georgia, and loses to Alabama if they lose to Georgia.
    This is a good Auburn team that throttled Georgia.
    I look for all of this to change this year.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere
    "When a loaf of bread looks like a banquet, I've no right buying tobacco. " - Grandpa Joe

BamaNation All-American

I think we'll see more zone read in part to keep that DL from pinning their ears back.

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by cbi1972 View Post
    In my lifetime, Bama has not beaten good Auburn teams very often.
    Saban in particular has not beaten good Auburn teams.
    Auburn usually beats Alabama if they beat Georgia, and loses to Alabama if they lose to Georgia.
    This is a good Auburn team that throttled Georgia.
    I look for all of this to change this year.
    How do you define a "good" team ? Since 08 when this run began, he's 2-2 vs ranked AU teams. The 2 losses were his 2 worst teams. The problem is that AU is not good more than half of the time. AU's 2 best teams since 08, 2 of the top 5 in their history, beat Bama's 2 worst teams record wise, during this run. Even then it took very strange "happenings".

Bama's record against AU when both were top ten is 4-4 (3 of AU's 4 wins are '72, '10, '13, three most fortunate wins) Bama is a hair from 7-1; both top five 1-1. Bama's record vs ranked AU: 13-22, AU's record vs ranked Bama: 13-34. So, Bama's record against ranked AU is better than theirs.