Needing to be talked off the ledge here! (he's scared of auburn) - Page 5
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    BamaNation First Team

Re: Needing to be talked off the ledge here! (he's scared of auburn)

Actually, we should be thanking Auburn for exposing Georgia, and giving coach Saban a clear blueprint to beat Georgia. Auburn left it all out on the field last Saturday, and we will have two weeks to work on our linebackers. I feel good about this season. BAMA is number one, and undefeated right now. Roll Tide

2. Advertisement

WOW!

Should we be concerned? Yes. Should we expect to be boat raced? No.

The ball bounces funny sometimes. Stupid penalties happen. Truth is without the "leaping" penalty (which has just recently started being fully enforced) MSU gets their confidence shaken right off the bat and it's a different game altogether. Uncle "Mo" gets in the way sometimes.

Take a breath. Lean against the wall. Walk carefully to the window. If you don't feel better by then, well........................

RTR!!!
    "It's not the will to win that matters - everyone has that.
    It's the will to prepare to win that matters."
    PAUL "BEAR" BRYANT

Quote Originally Posted by uofaJO1987 View Post
    I really need you guys to talk me down. After last night’s lackluster performance by the defense I have my doubts we can hang in there with aubie, much less make a playoff and national championship run. Y’all please tell me I’m overreacting!!!
    Their A game will beat our B game.
    11011001 11010110 11010011 11010011 01000000 11100011 11001001 11000100 11000101

BamaNation First Team TomFromBama's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bamapuppy View Post
    Actually, we should be thanking Auburn for exposing Georgia, and giving coach Saban a clear blueprint to beat Georgia. Auburn left it all out on the field last Saturday, and we will have two weeks to work on our linebackers. I feel good about this season. BAMA is number one, and undefeated right now. Roll Tide
    Just jumping in here, but replying to several: Yes, we really SHOULD "THANK" aub for blowing out UGa, for the reasons stated above, AND because it GUARANTEES complete focus from our players, Fights any chance of "Complacency" and virtually insures good practices - all of which are vital.

AND, at least raises the POTENTIAL for some "Rat Poison" effect to hit the boog team, as they have to be Sky High right now and REALLY liking their chances of repeating the fluke of 2013.

Likewise, we should "THANK" MSU for playing their best game (by far) of the season - which also should prevent any hint of complacency, esp. by the Defense.

Reasons to be concerned - aub DOES have a good enough team to beat us IF they outperform us.

Reasons NOT to be concerned - (believe it or not) Half of the SEC teams we've played this year ALSO have a "good enough" team to beat us, IF they had outperformed us. So far?. . . .

A couple other random thoughts (and forgive me as some of these have been touched on) -
    BUT -
    We seem to forget that Alabama had developed a pattern of SLUMPING the week after the LSux game, at least in the past decade when UA and LSux have (usually) been the best two teams in the West.

It was JUST this sort of slump that cost us the 2012 aTm game - when our guys came out flat and lethargic, thinking they were facing a "typical" mediocre aggy squad. And as we all know, the first quarter of that game is what won the Hypeman Trophy for Johnny Sleazeball.

I think it was Selma that mentioned tabulating averages to predict scores? I've been doing this for years, using "uncorrected" numbers for Scoring O and Scoring D as reported by the NZAA official stats, and taking simple averages - UA's Scoring O vs. the Opponent's Scoring D to get our score, and vice versa to get the opponent's score.

For LSux, I got 31.5 - 18.6 (-12.9) - overshot by just over One TD for each team, but the margin was pretty close - actual score - 24-10 (-14)
    For MSU, I got 29.5 - 21.9 (-7.6) - obviously, this crude metric doesn't account for injuries; Still, not so far off when the actual score was 31 -24. (-7)

Just "FWIW", as the numbers stack up today - the same very crude, very "Rough" average yields the following:
    UA - aub: UA 28.4 - aub 24.2 (~UA -4)
    UA - UGa: UA 27.2 - UGa 22.9 (~UA -4)
    UA -Clem: UA 27.5 - Clm 22.0 (~UA -5)
    UA - Mia: UA 28.3 - MIA 21.9 (~UA -6)
    UA - OU: UA 33.7 - OU 27.8 (~UA -6)

Again, just a crude calculation for "fun" only: No Waging, Please!
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    "Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses..."
    Dennis of Mercia, British Statesman/Philosopher,
    (895 A.D. - ?).

Lets not make this barn team something they are not. don't forget this team only had a 17-10 lead with less than minutes to go in the game against mercer. they also gave up a 20 point lead against lsu who, also, is NOT all of a sudden a top 5 team. let's just take a deep breath and give our coaches a chance to do what they always do and the players to do what they always do. DOMINATE that team on the other side of the state! RTR!!!!
    Roll Tide

BamaNation Hall of Fame DzynKingRTR's Avatar

I work with 4 Auburn grads. 3 of them say the same thing. Blowing out UGA and Alabama getting by the skin of their teeth was the worst thing to happen to Auburn. They think Auburn/Gus will come in too confident. (the 4th is from South Korea and doesn’t really care or know enough about football).
    Architects do it with models.

Roll Tide Roll

BamaNation Hall of Fame Redwood Forrest's Avatar

I notice we dived into basically three camps.

1. Pot-banger camp: We will be lucky to win another game.

2. Concerned camp: We better bring our A-game.

3. Sunshine Pumper camp: No worry, no problem, no concern.
    I do not believe in atheists, therefore they do not exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Redwood Forrest View Post

2 sounds reasonable
    11011001 11010110 11010011 11010011 01000000 11100011 11001001 11000100 11000101

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

Glad I don't live in Alabama for the next two weeks. This is SO Auburn. They are Schizophrenic! A few weeks ago they can barely beat Mercer and then they turn around a play a great game and upset Georgia (who we agree was likely overated).

It runs in their fans too. A few weeks ago they want to fire Gus and they are openly talking about who the next coach might be. Now, Gus is driving the bus like a boss because of ONE game.

Here's a little thing to remember. Auburn not only played their best game of the year, they probably got Georgia's worst. Rarely, if ever can you follow up a great game with a similar one...and they will not get the "help" Georgia gave them against us.

And don't forget this....Nick Saban is still our coach and DC Pruitt is pretty good too!

BamaNation All-SEC CrimsonTheory's Avatar

Here is what I will admit to:

1. Auburn has a good team, good enough to beat Alabama.
    2. Playing at Jordan-Hare is always a challenge.
    3. Gus Malzahn is still a HS caliber coach disguise as a college HC.
    4. Bama has Nick Saban, Auburn does not.
    5. Even with the injuries, Alabama is still a dang good team in their own right.
    6. All this "eeyoring" is because Auburn played their best game in years, while Alabama had to win a tough fought against a vastly underrated MSU team.

But what really separate Alabama from Auburn? Alabama has a JALEN HURTS, Auburn does not. Jalen will make Auburn's defense miserable.

What annoys me the most that despite dominating CFB for nearly a decade, there are still Bama fans that are "scared" by any team in CFB. Really? Bama boys will be ready to play against Auburn, just like Burner babies will be against Bama. It will be a dogfight. "Scared"? Not even.
    the former CrimsonBleedRed.

The 'we'll beat 'em by 100' camp (#3) is annoying, but not as much as the 'we're going to lose this game' camp (#1) when Bama is down by 3 in the first quarter.

#2 is where I am most weeks.
    To err is human, to really foul things up requires a computer.

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

You mean the super Eeyores, the standard Eeyores, and the fans who have been paying attention during Alabama games over the last 10 years?

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonTheory View Post
    Here is what I will admit to:

1. Auburn has a good team, good enough to beat Alabama.
    2. Playing at Jordan-Hare is always a challenge.
    3. Gus Malzahn is still a HS caliber coach disguise as a college HC.
    4. Bama has Nick Saban, Auburn does not.
    5. Even with the injuries, Alabama is still a dang good team in their own right.
    6. All this "eeyoring" is because Auburn played their best game in years, while Alabama had to win a tough fought against a vastly underrated MSU team.

But what really separate Alabama from Auburn? Alabama has a JALEN HURTS, Auburn does not. Jalen will make Auburn's defense miserable.

What annoys me the most that despite dominating CFB for nearly a decade, there are still Bama fans that are "scared" by any team in CFB. Really? Bama boys will be ready to play against Auburn, just like Burner babies will be against Bama. It will be a dogfight. "Scared"? Not even.
    Totally agree about Hurts, he's the x-factor for sure, especially if our injuries continue to cause defensive struggles. Look, Auburn might have beaten UGA no matter what, but they dominated because they made them 1-dimensional. And that was a lot easier to do because Fromm is a statue compared to Hurts. I really think there will be 2 very key issues that will determine how the Iron Bowl goes:
    1. How gap sound we are on defense - which of course is greatly affected by how well we deal with the ILB injuries. If have good run fits in the box, I'm fairly comfortable our OLBs can keep the edges contained.
    2. The performance of Hurts, and especially on 3rd down. If we can control TOP and be efficient on O - i.e. score on a good percentage of drives and avoid 3 and outs - we're going to make AU very uncomfortable.
    I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.