Needing to be talked off the ledge here! (he's scared of auburn)

uofaJO1987

1st Team
Oct 25, 2011
Highland Home, AL
I really need you guys to talk me down. After last night’s lackluster performance by the defense I have my doubts we can hang in there with aubie, much less make a playoff and national championship run. Y’all please tell me I’m overreacting!!!

FloridanBlogger

Scout Team
Jul 24, 2011
Fort Benning, GA
Re: Needing to be talked off the edge here!

At the end of the day, it's just a football game played by 18 year old kids.

Don't get me wrong, realistically this is the first game in a very long time I'm not expecting Bama to walk out a winner either. But win or lose, I love UA and wouldn't trade my fandom for any other college. My love for the university is far greater than any win/loss could ever top.

My grandfather always told me as a child "Son, you can't win them all" and although we are programmed to believe we will win them all, sometimes it goes the other way.

danb

All-SEC
Dec 4, 2011
Hazel Green, AL

Relax.... while we have had the injury bug hit us pretty hard on defense, they have usually stepped it up when it counts.

The main thing to think about at the end of the day is this. We have a group of young men that are winners.... Especially the young man behind center. They have shown to everyone they can take a punch and get knocked back, and come right back dishing it out harder. If you remember coach Sabans only undefeated NC team had a few nail biter games on the road to that championship too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

Auburn is most dangerous when they aren’t in the spotlight. They are the darlings at the moment... from a psychological standpoint this is the best we could have hoped for.

People are doubting our team for the first time all year. They are treating a 7 pt win as if it were a 30 point loss. tOSU gets pistol whipped by Iowa. But because they blow out Michigan State I’ve actually heard that they are playing better football “right now” than Bama.

It’s all clutter....

This is where we wanted to be. Something on the line, something to play for, against your rival. Who also has something to play for....

It may not be easy.....but dang, get away from the ledge.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

I really need you guys to talk me down. After last night’s lackluster performance by the defense I have my doubts we can hang in there with aubie, much less make a playoff and national championship run. Y’all please tell me I’m overreacting!!!

Here's how I get you down.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

First, understand that your defensive game plan against MSU was vastly different than the game plan that you will have for AU. You did not attack the offense because you were worried about their QB's rushing game - he was the best RB on their team, and you played "safe" because of that. Against Auburn, you will get back to blitzing and attacking the LOS.

Second, your team was exhausted after the LSU game. It will be well rested for Auburn.

Third, You had only one week to prepare for MSU after losing both ILBs in the LSU game. You will have another 2 weeks to prepare for Auburn without those guys.

Finally, you won't have to worry about any "rat poison" over the next 2 weeks. Everyone will be picking Auburn in that game. That is going to get this Alabama team fired up, and I just can't see you guys losing a game like this when you are totally focused in your preparation.

I think that Alabama will win by 20+ points.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA

Kum Ba Yah. All is well. I am O.K. You are O.K. We are O.K.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL

Here’s the thing about Gus’s AU teams- punch them in the mouth they’ll quit. See the LSU and Clemson games. If we do offensively what we did in the fourth quarter vs. MSU we’ll be fine. The game will be on the shoulders of our offense. And, I’m good with that. Contrary to what is posted here by some, they’ve performed well all year. We’re much improved from a year ago. NOTs masked some of our offensive problems and made it seem we were better than we actually were. We don’t have that this year. The MSU game proved we can win it by scoring if need be. I’m not concerned.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

Lackluster?

State averaged 428 ypg coming in and we held them to 330.

They average 33.9 ppg and we held them to 24.

They average 259 yards rushing and we held them to 172.

They average holding the ball 32 minutes per game so their ball control offense was nothing new.

MSU gives up 124 yards per game rushing, we had 202. They give up 18 ppg, we had 31.

They surrender a total of 289 ypg and we had nearly 450.

Now there are, of course, mirror statistics.

Our defense gives up 9.8 ppg and surrendered 24.
We give up 75 yards per game rushing and surrendered more than twice that.

If I had time to sit down and cut out the 'fuzzy stats' that skew data (e.g. cupcake games with skewed stats), I would arrive at what I call the "corrected average performance." But let's just for time's sake look at the UNCORRECTED AVERAGE, because it's usually more slanted against performance.

Mississippi State averages 38 ppg and we give up 9.8 so and UNCORRECTED AVERAGE performance would suggest MSU would score 24.35 points per game, meaning an AVERAGE performance by BOTH the MSU offense and the Tide defense would give State 24.35 points. In fact, they scored 24 points. These data
are slightly skewed by the 106 points MSU got in their first two games against nobodies, so just guesstimating I'd say an AVERAGE performance corrected
would probably net 20 points.

MSU gives up 18 ppg, also slightly skewed by the first two games, so I'll deduct those because one is a shutout, which just means I have to divide by a lower number. MSU's CORRECTED average then would be they give up 23.5 ppg in an AVERAGE performance. We average 40.9 ppg (seriously, we have the #8 offense in the country) and they give up 23.5, so an AVERAGE performance would net 32.2 points in a game. (It's kind of pointless to take out the cupcakes for us because we average almost 41 ppg and had 41 ppg in both the CSU and Fresno games - plus, to what degree are they cupcakes compared to State's opener?)

So this would mean an AVERAGE performance by BOTH teams would give us this final score:
Alabama 32
Miss St 24

What was the final score of the game again?

Now keep in mind that I had no idea when I began this post what the numbers would show. But the NUMBERS (and yes, they CAN be misleading sometimes before anyone argues that) show that both teams basically played the sum total expected average for BOTH teams and the results bear that out.

Of course, statistics DON'T show problems. State got seven points because of the leaping penalty, a circumstance that also likely elevated State's overall performance on offense for the game while lowering our D's performance.

On average, your average performances are going to be average.

Average WAS, in fact, good enough to beat Miss State. We didn't hold them well below par, but we didn't give up a lot above it, either. The reason our numbers are so low (9.8 ppg) is because MOST OF THE TIME we play WELL ABOVE AVERAGE.

So Saturday was not lackluster, it was the expected norm based on the combined data of both teams thus far this year. This data is meaningless in September as teams find their rhythm; it becomes more useful over the course of a season.

BradtheImpaler

All-American
Nov 16, 2010
Sugar Hill, GA

First of all, the game we "lost" on Saturday... we actually won. At the end of the game, we held an advantage in yards passing, yards rushing, and most importantly, points scored. Yes, they dominated time of possession, but they also patiently bled the clock, until they got nervous at the end, in an effort to shorten the game. Gus Malzahn's DNA won't allow him to do that. Stidham is a bit of a statue, so we don't have to worry about him gashing us like Fitzgerald.

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN

First, understand that your defensive game plan against MSU was vastly different than the game plan that you will have for AU. You did not attack the offense because you were worried about their QB's rushing game - he was the best RB on their team, and you played "safe" because of that. Against Auburn, you will get back to blitzing and attacking the LOS.

Second, your team was exhausted after the LSU game. It will be well rested for Auburn.

Third, You had only one week to prepare for MSU after losing both ILBs in the LSU game. You will have another 2 weeks to prepare for Auburn without those guys.

Finally, you won't have to worry about any "rat poison" over the next 2 weeks. Everyone will be picking Auburn in that game. That is going to get this Alabama team fired up, and I just can't see you guys losing a game like this when you are totally focused in your preparation.

I think that Alabama will win by 20+ points.
Very good analysis B1GTide

bamapuppy

1st Team
Mar 28, 2008
Hillsborough, NC

The one thing that I do not understand about the Auburn fan base is that they have two losses? If you read the stuff that they are spewing, they are the best team in the nation. What have they done? They beat an overrated Georgia team, and BAMA struggles with Miss. State. Well, Auburn lost to LSU, and Clempson. ANd BAMA did win at MSU. I understand that they try to spin the LSU loss as somehting other than a loss, but the last time I checked the standings, it was a loss. Even if they somehow beat BAMA in a close game, I cannot see them being in the playoff? Especially if Georgia got their revenge in the SEC Championship game. That is what could get two SEC teams in the final four. BAMA drop a close game to Auburn, maybe from a really bad call from the refs, and Auburn looses to Georgia on neutral site rematch.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

I've been here long enough that nobody suspects me of being a Barn double agent but I have this thing about consistency, too........(check out NS for some examples)

The one thing that I do not understand about the Auburn fan base is that they have two losses? If you read the stuff that they are spewing, they are the best team in the nation.

Well, they did beat number one.......

What have they done? They beat an overrated Georgia team,
It's not Auburn's fault that the media overrated UGA now, is it?

It was one of the most impressive wins in history against a team ranked number one. I'm still researching it, but I think it would have been the biggest blowout
loss by a #1 in history had UGA not gotten that late TD.

and BAMA struggles with Miss. State.
Auburn beat MSU by 39 points.

Well, Auburn lost to LSU, and Clempson.
Yes, they did.

They also beat ATM by more points than we did, Arky by the same number of points (32), and Ole Miss by fewer.

Losing to Clemson is no shame by any means. The blowing a 20-0 lead at LSU is going to haunt Auburn for years if they miss the playoff by a nose.

ANd BAMA did win at MSU. I understand that they try to spin the LSU loss as somehting other than a loss, but the last time I checked the standings, it was a loss.
Not really any different than Tide fans in 2012 saying we lost to ATM because of (take your pick):
a) the emotion from the LSU game the week before
b) Nussmeier's idiocy
c) all of the above

Even if they somehow beat BAMA in a close game, I cannot see them being in the playoff?
It literally depends on a bunch of other games.

Especially if Georgia got their revenge in the SEC Championship game.
Of course not, Auburn would then have three losses.

That is what could get two SEC teams in the final four. BAMA drop a close game to Auburn, maybe from a really bad call from the refs, and Auburn looses to Georgia on neutral site rematch.
I agree, but let's take it out of their hands, how about that?

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina

This was the absolutely worst team we could play given what happened with our ILB's. They were going to be tested from the start because that is where MSU puts the pressure with their QB.

That being said, we are slight underdogs against AU, no doubt...but that is not all bad.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007

Head on down the road to It Don't Matter, grab a bite to eat, and remember that this is a game. A game in which the team we are fans of has spoiled us with a long run of our team doing well. Even if we were to lose to Auburn there's zero need to be near any edges in the grand scheme of things. The world would not end with that event. Auburn would just get uglier with toilet paper and the state of Alabama would get uglier with a rise in orange/blue fair weather clothing being worn but it won't be long before it goes right back on the clearance rack and they can't give the stuff away.

bamapuppy

1st Team
Mar 28, 2008
Hillsborough, NC

I agree, but let's take it out of their hands, how about that?

I agree 100%. Was just making a hypothetical point there. And, for the record, I believe that BAMA will beat Auburn by double digits. I also believe that MSU caught BAMA at a tough time. And, winning that game shows how tough that BAMA can be. Jalen Hurts never gave up, and I feel that was a big factor that will follow this team. I believe that Hurts could be the X factor with this team. I believe that his leadership is his greatest asset. JMHO

Well, they did beat number one.......

It's not Auburn's fault that the media overrated UGA now, is it?

It was one of the most impressive wins in history against a team ranked number one. I'm still researching it, but I think it would have been the biggest blowout
loss by a #1 in history had UGA not gotten that late TD.

Auburn beat MSU by 39 points.

Yes, they did.

They also beat ATM by more points than we did, Arky by the same number of points (32), and Ole Miss by fewer.

Losing to Clemson is no shame by any means. The blowing a 20-0 lead at LSU is going to haunt Auburn for years if they miss the playoff by a nose.

Not really any different than Tide fans in 2012 saying we lost to ATM because of (take your pick):
a) the emotion from the LSU game the week before
b) Nussmeier's idiocy
c) all of the above

It literally depends on a bunch of other games.

Of course not, Auburn would then have three losses.

I agree, but let's take it out of their hands, how about that?[/QUOTE]

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

LOL, I've never seen so much hand-wringing over a 10-0 team that's likely going to be ranked #1 in the CFP this week...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.