Thoughts on scripted plays to start games and if we run them. - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 14 to 26 of 30
  1. #14

    Re: Thoughts on scripted plays to start games and if we run them.

    Many OC will game plan around both halfs. They want to shake things up a little from one half to the next and have something a little different.

    That could be all inside runs one half and more outside runs the next. Or all screens one half and more intermediate or stop and go routes the second.

    May have a lot of motion one half and very limited another. There are many combinations to choose from but most will plan for some fairly substantial differences between halfs.

    All this can change when the gameplan is not working but it is also why you see so many offenses look completely different from one half to the next. Another reason is the defense show them something they were not expecting early in the game or they are winning in an area. An OC has to adjust between halfs to stop the bleeding or find something that works.

    With all that said. I absolutely believe Bama has scripted plays to start the game. Likely 12-15 from what I have seen.

  2. Advertisement
  3. #15
    FB Moderator Bamabuzzard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football
    Posts
    21,823
    Thread Starter

    Re: Thoughts on scripted plays to start games and if we run them.

    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeterpop View Post
    Many OC will game plan around both halfs. They want to shake things up a little from one half to the next and have something a little different.

    That could be all inside runs one half and more outside runs the next. Or all screens one half and more intermediate or stop and go routes the second.

    May have a lot of motion one half and very limited another. There are many combinations to choose from but most will plan for some fairly substantial differences between halfs.

    All this can change when the gameplan is not working but it is also why you see so many offenses look completely different from one half to the next. Another reason is the defense show them something they were not expecting early in the game or they are winning in an area. An OC has to adjust between halfs to stop the bleeding or find something that works.

    With all that said. I absolutely believe Bama has scripted plays to start the game. Likely 12-15 from what I have seen.
    If they do have this many scripted plays, they are too similar, IMO. Part of the scripted plays should have been plays that "tested" or as my dad likes to call it "probe" different parts of the defense. That's what scripted plays are far, or part of the reason, is to test different areas of the defense to find a weakness. I just don't see that happening in the first half of games, and like Earle said, it's quite puzzling.
    Last edited by Bamabuzzard; November 13th, 2017 at 12:37 PM.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

    "It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

    "If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

  4. #16

    Re: Thoughts on scripted plays to start games and if we run them.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    If they do have this many scripted plays, they are too similar, IMO. Part of the scripted plays should have been plays that "tested" or as my dad likes to call it "probe" different parts of the defense. That's what scripted plays are far, or part of the reason, is to test different areas of the defense to find a weakness. I just don't see that happening and like Earle said, it's quite puzzling.
    I guess each OC has his own reason for scripted plays. Some might use them to find weaknesses like you suggest. Others use them to pinpoint the weaknesses found on film. Others use them to setup plays for later in the game.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

    "We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

  5. #17
    BamaNation Hall of Fame trenda's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Hendersonville, TN USA
    Posts
    5,558

    Re: Thoughts on scripted plays to start games and if we run them.

    Quote Originally Posted by tusks_n_raider View Post
    This is what's driving me nuts too.....you are EXACTLY right....that final drive was exactly what we should be doing ALL the time as far as passing.

    The 2nd pass to Ridley was a quick slant that Ridley added lots of YAC to......Then the Pass to Smith was a Bang-8 Skinny Post we used a few weeks ago for a TD as well......Both passes....Jalen threw STRIKES that led the WR's so they could catch and run.

    Why do we fiddle-fart around with Pro Style routes and Pro-Style pocket passing when our OL can't hold up long enough most of the time for longer routes? We need to go fast (on passes) and spread it out and straight up go Air Raid out of the shotgun or delayed from the RPO. Get it out in less than 3 seconds.....

    Pretty much every time we've done it we've been successful as long as the WR's catch the balls.....Jalen's been throwing absolute DIMES for weeks now.

    It's just maddening for me to watch us struggle every week when you know what we could do to work around our barely above average Pass Protection.
    On the third down pass to Ridley - if I remember correctly - I think I saw an interview with Hurts where he said he checked into that route after seeing the defense. Said Ridley initially shook his head no and Hurts still called it anyhow -- and it worked beautifully. Makes me wonder how much liberty Hurts has to change calls at the line of scrimmage. He's basically been the starter for two full years now. The maturity level is there along with the experience and the team seems to follow his lead.

    I get the thought process on scripting plays to open a game; but, hopefully they're giving him the autonomy to make those checks as he sees fit. Worked great in the clutch on Saturday night.
    RTR


  6. #18

    Re: Thoughts on scripted plays to start games and if we run them.

    Quote Originally Posted by tusks_n_raider View Post
    This is what's driving me nuts too.....you are EXACTLY right....that final drive was exactly what we should be doing ALL the time as far as passing.

    The 2nd pass to Ridley was a quick slant that Ridley added lots of YAC to......Then the Pass to Smith was a Bang-8 Skinny Post we used a few weeks ago for a TD as well......Both passes....Jalen threw STRIKES that led the WR's so they could catch and run.

    Why do we fiddle-fart around with Pro Style routes and Pro-Style pocket passing when our OL can't hold up long enough most of the time for longer routes? We need to go fast (on passes) and spread it out and straight up go Air Raid out of the shotgun or delayed from the RPO. Get it out in less than 3 seconds.....

    Pretty much every time we've done it we've been successful as long as the WR's catch the balls.....Jalen's been throwing absolute DIMES for weeks now.

    It's just maddening for me to watch us struggle every week when you know what we could do to work around our barely above average Pass Protection.
    we don't really have to worry about pass pro on the the two plays mentioned above. the ball is out so quick on those plays. the middle of the field should be open.

  7. #19

    Re: Thoughts on scripted plays to start games and if we run them.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    If they do have this many scripted plays, they are too similar, IMO. Part of the scripted plays should have been plays that "tested" or as my dad likes to call it "probe" different parts of the defense. That's what scripted plays are far, or part of the reason, is to test different areas of the defense to find a weakness. I just don't see that happening in the first half of games, and like Earle said, it's quite puzzling.
    What can happen is a team will see some weaknesses or areas they feel they can exploit and they will select some plays to run at that. Many times they will run similar plays to make sure they give the offense a good opportunity to execute and be successful. Defenses also make changes from week to week with their in game philosophy. So this can mean several ineffective plays early in the game until the offense decides to get off script or continue doing more of the same.

    A good OC thinks his gameplan is the best for success. Many times he feels the offense did not execute properly if they play fails so he calls again and again to prove it will work. Some are more hard headed than others and take too long to accept for whatever reason its not working and they may be wrong and need to try something different.

    I have been both a Defensive Coordinator and an Asst Offensive Coordinator at the HS level and seen OC be very hard headed. I would guess at the college level that mindset would be very similar.

  8. #20

    Re: Thoughts on scripted plays to start games and if we run them.

    Quote Originally Posted by runtheoption22 View Post
    we don't really have to worry about pass pro on the the two plays mentioned above. the ball is out so quick on those plays. the middle of the field should be open.
    Yes I agree..... and well.... that's my main point ultimately.

    That and for some reason we try to 'test' just about everything that could possibly make sledding tougher instead of easier.

    For example......I can't for the life of me understand why Damien continues to be sidelined for LONG stretches of time. The run blocking hasn't been the best either but he's the ONE guy who continually thrives despite that.

    Going into the game he was 5th in the NCAA in YPC.....He's now 4th....

    He had 8......EIGHT carries in the game.....Nobody really had a 'Bad' game this week but here's the YPC just for the Miss St game:

    Runner #1 - 2.11 YPC
    Runner #2 - 11.63 YPC
    Runner #3 - 6.00 YPC
    Runner #4 - 6.60 YPC

    Which Runner would you guess was Damien??

    I'm no genius but...

    1) When we RUN... I'd feed the guy who consistently runs for almost TWICE the YPC of the other RB's.

    2) When we PASS....I'd run plays that get the ball out fast to nullify the OL breakdowns.

    We EVENTUALLY get around to both of those.....but it takes a lot of 3 and outs and stalled drives to do it. Really.... REALLY frustrating to watch.

  9. #21

    Re: Thoughts on scripted plays to start games and if we run them.

    Quote Originally Posted by tusks_n_raider View Post
    Yes I agree..... and well.... that's my main point ultimately.

    That and for some reason we try to 'test' just about everything that could possibly make sledding tougher instead of easier.

    For example......I can't for the life of me understand why Damien continues to be sidelined for LONG stretches of time. The run blocking hasn't been the best either but he's the ONE guy who continually thrives despite that.

    Going into the game he was 5th in the NCAA in YPC.....He's now 4th....

    He had 8......EIGHT carries in the game.....Nobody really had a 'Bad' game this week but here's the YPC just for the Miss St game:

    Runner #1 - 2.11 YPC
    Runner #2 - 11.63 YPC
    Runner #3 - 6.00 YPC
    Runner #4 - 6.60 YPC

    Which Runner would you guess was Damien??

    I'm no genius but...

    1) When we RUN... I'd feed the guy who consistently runs for almost TWICE the YPC of the other RB's.

    2) When we PASS....I'd run plays that get the ball out fast to nullify the OL breakdowns.

    We EVENTUALLY get around to both of those.....but it takes a lot of 3 and outs and stalled drives to do it. Really.... REALLY frustrating to watch.
    This this this this this and this!!

  10. #22
    BamaNation All-SEC Tug Tide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Redneck Riviera, Panama City Beach, FL
    Posts
    1,066

    Re: Thoughts on scripted plays to start games and if we run them.

    Quote Originally Posted by tusks_n_raider View Post
    We EVENTUALLY get around to both of those.....but it takes a lot of 3 and outs and stalled drives to do it. Really.... REALLY frustrating to watch.
    I think your main point about DH is very valid.
    BIGTIDE did a good analysis of our drives in another thread, there really weren't that many bad/stalled drives in the game.

  11. #23
    BamaNation First Team
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    970

    Re: Thoughts on scripted plays to start games and if we run them.

    Correct me if I am wrong but are not all players scripted? I get we have a few ready to run at beginning of game and second half, as a probe or just to see how teams react. But from what I have read over the years most every play is scripted for a certin down and distance and time of game spot. Most go in with a real hard plan on how to pick a part a team.Now yes they adjust to changes and to what seems to work. But most all plays from the first to the last are scripted in one way or another. Either to find weak spots or to set up plays for later. IE run run run run, to suck up line backers for a pass play. Or pass pass pass, to drop them back to open up the run. OR misdirection and delays to hurt over pursuing defenses. I like second guessing coaches, but lets be honest they make millions for a reason, the usually know 100 times more than those watching.

  12. #24
    Senior Administrator TIDE-HSV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    Huntsville, AL,USA
    Posts
    56,351

    Re: Thoughts on scripted plays to start games and if we run them.

    Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    I guess each OC has his own reason for scripted plays. Some might use them to find weaknesses like you suggest. Others use them to pinpoint the weaknesses found on film. Others use them to setup plays for later in the game.
    I think it's usually a combination of the three...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

    'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

    I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

  13. #25
    BamaNation First Team 78Alum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Alabaster, AL
    Posts
    630

    Re: Thoughts on scripted plays to start games and if we run them.

    Quote Originally Posted by trenda View Post
    On the third down pass to Ridley - if I remember correctly - I think I saw an interview with Hurts where he said he checked into that route after seeing the defense. Said Ridley initially shook his head no and Hurts still called it anyhow -- and it worked beautifully. Makes me wonder how much liberty Hurts has to change calls at the line of scrimmage. He's basically been the starter for two full years now. The maturity level is there along with the experience and the team seems to follow his lead.

    I get the thought process on scripting plays to open a game; but, hopefully they're giving him the autonomy to make those checks as he sees fit. Worked great in the clutch on Saturday night.
    Yes, you do remember correctly. I loved this. This tells a lot about Jalen's growth. Here is a link: https://alabama.rivals.com/news/how-...-winning-drive

  14. #26

    Re: Thoughts on scripted plays to start games and if we run them.

    Quote Originally Posted by tusks_n_raider View Post
    Yes I agree..... and well.... that's my main point ultimately.

    That and for some reason we try to 'test' just about everything that could possibly make sledding tougher instead of easier.

    For example......I can't for the life of me understand why Damien continues to be sidelined for LONG stretches of time. The run blocking hasn't been the best either but he's the ONE guy who continually thrives despite that.

    Going into the game he was 5th in the NCAA in YPC.....He's now 4th....

    He had 8......EIGHT carries in the game.....Nobody really had a 'Bad' game this week but here's the YPC just for the Miss St game:

    Runner #1 - 2.11 YPC
    Runner #2 - 11.63 YPC
    Runner #3 - 6.00 YPC
    Runner #4 - 6.60 YPC

    Which Runner would you guess was Damien??

    I'm no genius but...

    1) When we RUN... I'd feed the guy who consistently runs for almost TWICE the YPC of the other RB's.

    2) When we PASS....I'd run plays that get the ball out fast to nullify the OL breakdowns.

    We EVENTUALLY get around to both of those.....but it takes a lot of 3 and outs and stalled drives to do it. Really.... REALLY frustrating to watch.
    I cannot recall the name of the system, but Alabama uses a system to determine number of plays in a given week each player can play and still be healthy at the end of the season. I think it's used by some pro teams. Basically, I think the system may say that Damien Harris needs rest to maintain his effectiveness at some point and they chose the past few weeks to rely on Bo and just put Damien in when needed.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

 

TideFansStore.com: Get YOUR gear!