Thoughts on scripted plays to start games and if we run them.

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
Yes I agree..... and well.... that's my main point ultimately.

That and for some reason we try to 'test' just about everything that could possibly make sledding tougher instead of easier.

For example......I can't for the life of me understand why Damien continues to be sidelined for LONG stretches of time. The run blocking hasn't been the best either but he's the ONE guy who continually thrives despite that.

Going into the game he was 5th in the NCAA in YPC.....He's now 4th....

He had 8......EIGHT carries in the game.....Nobody really had a 'Bad' game this week but here's the YPC just for the Miss St game:

Runner #1 - 2.11 YPC
Runner #2 - 11.63 YPC
Runner #3 - 6.00 YPC
Runner #4 - 6.60 YPC

Which Runner would you guess was Damien??

I'm no genius but...

1) When we RUN... I'd feed the guy who consistently runs for almost TWICE the YPC of the other RB's.

2) When we PASS....I'd run plays that get the ball out fast to nullify the OL breakdowns.

We EVENTUALLY get around to both of those.....but it takes a lot of 3 and outs and stalled drives to do it. Really.... REALLY frustrating to watch.
This this this this this and this!!

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
Correct me if I am wrong but are not all players scripted? I get we have a few ready to run at beginning of game and second half, as a probe or just to see how teams react. But from what I have read over the years most every play is scripted for a certin down and distance and time of game spot. Most go in with a real hard plan on how to pick a part a team.Now yes they adjust to changes and to what seems to work. But most all plays from the first to the last are scripted in one way or another. Either to find weak spots or to set up plays for later. IE run run run run, to suck up line backers for a pass play. Or pass pass pass, to drop them back to open up the run. OR misdirection and delays to hurt over pursuing defenses. I like second guessing coaches, but lets be honest they make millions for a reason, the usually know 100 times more than those watching.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I guess each OC has his own reason for scripted plays. Some might use them to find weaknesses like you suggest. Others use them to pinpoint the weaknesses found on film. Others use them to setup plays for later in the game.
I think it's usually a combination of the three...

78Alum

All-American
Aug 1, 2007
Alabaster, AL
On the third down pass to Ridley - if I remember correctly - I think I saw an interview with Hurts where he said he checked into that route after seeing the defense. Said Ridley initially shook his head no and Hurts still called it anyhow -- and it worked beautifully. Makes me wonder how much liberty Hurts has to change calls at the line of scrimmage. He's basically been the starter for two full years now. The maturity level is there along with the experience and the team seems to follow his lead.

I get the thought process on scripting plays to open a game; but, hopefully they're giving him the autonomy to make those checks as he sees fit. Worked great in the clutch on Saturday night.
Yes, you do remember correctly. I loved this. This tells a lot about Jalen's growth. Here is a link: https://alabama.rivals.com/news/how-one-late-decision-led-to-alabama-s-game-winning-drive

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
Yes I agree..... and well.... that's my main point ultimately.

That and for some reason we try to 'test' just about everything that could possibly make sledding tougher instead of easier.

For example......I can't for the life of me understand why Damien continues to be sidelined for LONG stretches of time. The run blocking hasn't been the best either but he's the ONE guy who continually thrives despite that.

Going into the game he was 5th in the NCAA in YPC.....He's now 4th....

He had 8......EIGHT carries in the game.....Nobody really had a 'Bad' game this week but here's the YPC just for the Miss St game:

Runner #1 - 2.11 YPC
Runner #2 - 11.63 YPC
Runner #3 - 6.00 YPC
Runner #4 - 6.60 YPC

Which Runner would you guess was Damien??

I'm no genius but...

1) When we RUN... I'd feed the guy who consistently runs for almost TWICE the YPC of the other RB's.

2) When we PASS....I'd run plays that get the ball out fast to nullify the OL breakdowns.

We EVENTUALLY get around to both of those.....but it takes a lot of 3 and outs and stalled drives to do it. Really.... REALLY frustrating to watch.
I cannot recall the name of the system, but Alabama uses a system to determine number of plays in a given week each player can play and still be healthy at the end of the season. I think it's used by some pro teams. Basically, I think the system may say that Damien Harris needs rest to maintain his effectiveness at some point and they chose the past few weeks to rely on Bo and just put Damien in when needed.

OreBama

All-American
Sep 26, 2005
Portland, OR
It seems to me that we often have too many long-developing pass plays. We outclass 90% of the teams we play in the regular season and just simple, quick routes would be devastating.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
I cannot recall the name of the system, but Alabama uses a system to determine number of plays in a given week each player can play and still be healthy at the end of the season. I think it's used by some pro teams. Basically, I think the system may say that Damien Harris needs rest to maintain his effectiveness at some point and they chose the past few weeks to rely on Bo and just put Damien in when needed.
Coach Saban was asked a question about this system a couple of weeks ago at the press conference and he even made a comment about how good of a question it was from the reporter. Coach spoke about the question for a little bit. I have been wondering if D. Harris was not at his optimal numbers is the reason he is not getting more of a load. It makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
I believe all teams, college and pro, run a scripted number of plays, the number depending on the OC. Kiffin ran far more than most, but his offense was predicated more than most on setting up the defense for a kill. What puzzled me most was not probing their edges in the first half at all. Then in the second half, when it showed that it was their weakness, partially because of personnel and partially because they were so committed to the middle, we would gash them on the edges and then go right back to between tackles, where they were waiting. Sometimes, it's just puzzling to me...
My question as well...they were so tired they could not get to the edge in any reasonable shape to make a tackle. So we run back inside where they don't have to move...and where we could not run most of the day. Sometimes we outsmart ourselves.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Catapault System

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.