Tidbit on the MSU game - pressuring the QB - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

Re: Tidbit on the MSU game - pressuring the QB

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    Stidham's lack of mobility should remove the actual and perceived threat of running. With QB's like Fitzgerald, he impacts the defense whether he actually runs or not. Just the threat of him running forces the defense to slow down and be more conservative. That will not be the case in the IB.
    I think that is a huge factor. We couldn't press the point of attack near as often in the QB/RB exchange. While Stidham's passing ability has to be respected, his running threat will not test our defense as much. We should be able to attack the point of exchange more against Auburn.

I don't know if it's true but some have said we used a little more of the bend but don't break style against MSU because of the QB. I do know we have up a lot more 3-5 yard runs than normal.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American

I think B1G has it right. The Barn's o-line is better at run blocking (and they are pretty good) than pass blocking (meh). And one or more good running backs can make an o-line look better than it is. And a not very mobile quarterback can make one look worse. Our issue is finding someone in the middle of the field besides 32 that can fill a gap and at least stop a RB at the point of attack till help arrives (much less be driven backwards).

I'll also agree with the LoS assessment the other way. Our offensive line must play well. Auburn's front, especially the down linemen, is its strength. If you can get past the front seven (or maybe 8, in our game) either by opening holes with strength or scheme and/or passes over them, they get decidedly pedestrian.

After the game, I'll bet you can look at average yards gained by them on first down and have a pretty fair idea of how things turned out.
    Roll Tide

BamaNation All-American Snuffy Smith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post
    I think that is a huge factor. We couldn't press the point of attack near as often in the QB/RB exchange. While Stidham's passing ability has to be respected, his running threat will not test our defense as much. We should be able to attack the point of exchange more against Auburn.

I don't know if it's true but some have said we used a little more of the bend but don't break style against MSU because of the QB. I do know we have up a lot more 3-5 yard runs than normal.
    Put another way - I don't think Stidham will be blowing up our corners or safeties and pushing them backwards 3-5 yards.

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

Quote Originally Posted by Tideflyer View Post
    I`d say that qualifies as " good coaching " (?).
    Yeah, but the problem is it's not until he's lost two or three games before hand. The great coaches find ways to still win games when their teams may not be where they need to be.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

Quote Originally Posted by 92tide View Post
    a lot of our issues this past saturday came from poor tackling, at all 3 levels of our defense. i don't know if we were just having an off day or what, but we were not tackling very consistently most of the night. that is not usually the case.
    When they lined up that big TE at WR several times and threw it out to him. For whatever reason Tony Brown and the other guys were trying to tackle him high rather than hitting him below the waist. I'm not sure how many times it happened, but everytime they did that he "drug'em" another five to six yards. But overall I agree. Bad tackling all night.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation First Team Saban4Ever's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tideflyer View Post
    I`d say that qualifies as " good coaching " (?).
    Maybe we should play the Iron Bowl at the beginning of each season while Gus is still figuring things out. He does seem to get better mid season. Saban is much more prepared before and during the season. 😀

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saban4Ever View Post
    Maybe we should play the Iron Bowl at the beginning of each season while Gus is still figuring things out. He does seem to get better mid season. Saban is much more prepared before and during the season. ��
    I said the same thing in another thread. If we played the Barn each year in September they'd rarely, if ever, beat us. This is especially true the last several years and it's not just with Gus as coach.

When Cheese Dip had sCam Newton they almost got beat by MSU in September because he hadn't figured out what he had yet. But by November each year, they typically are playing better by the time we meet 'em. Granted, they usually have lost 2 or 3 games by then so they usually only have the motivation to beat Bama and declare the season a success.

This year, unfortunately, there's a little more riding on it.

BamaNation All-American

Yeah, but the problem is it's not until he's lost two or three games before hand. The great coaches find ways to still win games when their teams may not be where they need to be.
    That`s a point well taken.

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

When they lined up that big TE at WR several times and threw it out to him. For whatever reason Tony Brown and the other guys were trying to tackle him high rather than hitting him below the waist. I'm not sure how many times it happened, but everytime they did that he "drug'em" another five to six yards. But overall I agree. Bad tackling all night.
    They were also tackling the RB and QB high the entire game. Really bad form. They had almost all of their yards after contact in that game.

BamaNation All-American Snuffy Smith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    They were also tackling the RB and QB high the entire game. Really bad form. They had almost all of their yards after contact in that game.
    I kept saying all night to the group we were watching with “I don’t think I have EVER seen a Saban coached Alabama team tackle this poorly”. I think part of that was poor position hence poor leverage. I suspect we will see a lot of that cleaned up in 2 weeks.

BamaNation All-American

Limiting their success on first down will be key as well. That killed us against MSU. They were gaining 4-6 yards on first down which kept their playbook wide open all through third and fourth downs. Regarding the Clemson game, it's hard to use that game as an example because since that game, development and adjustments have been made by the players and staff. So it's not really the same team. Gus does this about every year. His teams start out looking like they may not win five games all year. Then as the year goes on they get better each week and by the end of the year they are a very different team.
    Sometimes yea: '13, '17, sometimes nay: '14, '15, '16. If there is a common thread to the yeas or nays, I don't know what it is.

BamaNation First Team

Big A Re: Tidbit on the MSU game - pressuring the QB

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snuffy Smith View Post
    I kept saying all night to the group we were watching with “I don’t think I have EVER seen a Saban coached Alabama team tackle this poorly”. I think part of that was poor position hence poor leverage. I suspect we will see a lot of that cleaned up in 2 weeks.
    RE: Tackling

It's been a lament of mine for the last few years about the "new" way of tackling, ie, trying to strip the ball instead of taking them to the ground. I seem to notice it more with the DB's than others. I personally don't think the first person to engage the ball carrier should try to strip the ball - that should be secondary, after the carrier is "in the grasp" of the first person.

One of the reasons I was so impressed with Anthony Averett, was his "text-book" tackling technique - or "old school" - depending on who you talk to

We've all noticed, I'm sure, what Bamabuzzard mentioned, about a ball carrier "dragging" or "carrying" a defender for additional yardage. Sometimes a lot more than 5 or 6 yards. That seems to be happening with more and more frequency.

Think I read somewhere a while back that we don't tackle in practice anymore - just wrap-up. I understand that is for safety reasons, but Saturday night's game caused me to wonder if that practice protocol is not affecting our tackling to some degree.

Just some thoughts
    Bama's Back

BamaNation All-SEC alwayshavebeen's Avatar

Count me as one that thought we could reload at LB and everything would be okay. What I saw Saturday night were LB's slow to get to the ball and poor tackling at that level. IMO we now have a good defense, not a great one, and will have to rely heavily on our Offense to win these games down the stretch.
    This isn't a criticism but scoring 31 points down the stretch probably will not be enough. On the bright side I firmly believe our offense is capable of "carrying" us.
    Last edited by alwayshavebeen; November 13th, 2017 at 08:39 PM.