2017 Week 12 Gameweek Thread (Practice Reports, Pressers, etc.)

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Well it’s looks like we might see Ben Davis soon.
looks like he is still at the back of the line, behind Jennings, Mosley, Allen and Mcmillion, at OLB though. I don't get it but really hope he can get back on track...

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
The yard per carry stats from LSU and MSU game are kind of surprising given the feel that there was in the game. Certainly felt like they both had several positive runs. It also seemed like our guys were getting pushed back after contact which is a very rare sight to see. Gives me room for optimisim as the defensive communciation should get better as we get further away from the injuries of the LSU game.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Maybe for now but much can change. LB’s need all the help they can get.
Completely agree they need all the help they can get. That's why it's puzzling that he's practicing at OLB and we moved an OLB (cowan) over to a 2nd line spot with the ILBs and would look at mosley and McMillion as ILB options instead of Davis.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Completely agree they need all the help they can get. That's why it's puzzling that he's practicing at OLB and we moved an OLB (cowan) over to a 2nd line spot with the ILBs and would look at mosley and McMillion as ILB options instead of Davis.
Perhaps a slight change of scheme for the defense???

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
The yard per carry stats from LSU and MSU game are kind of surprising given the feel that there was in the game. Certainly felt like they both had several positive runs. It also seemed like our guys were getting pushed back after contact which is a very rare sight to see. Gives me room for optimisim as the defensive communciation should get better as we get further away from the injuries of the LSU game.
Yeah, seeing the stats doesn't look as bad as watching the game.

I think we had grown accustomed to seeing little to no gains on most rushing attemps so a 2 or 3 yard gain looks "bad" to us. A 5-7 yard run looks like our defense is in shambles.

That's the way the post game analysis sounded by many here.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Anything in that 3.5 range is still bad though. Get 3.5 APC and that's a long, steady, beat your defense down drive that creates a LOT of first downs.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Anything in that 3.5 range is still bad though. Get 3.5 APC and that's a long, steady, beat your defense down drive that creates a LOT of first downs.
I don't disagree...Injuries are at play. LSU and MSU are probably the two best teams we've played...especially after the initial injuries from game 1 at linebacker. After suffering more injuries against LSU I guess we shouldn't be shocked.

The LSU injuries and the way we had to defend MSU with their QB contributed, I'm sure.

The big question is, "Will Auburn be able to do the same?"

I think we've got a few things going for us:

1. As someone on the ranking show said last night, "Auburn was on fire" against Georgia. They obviously are peaking at the right time in the year, but is it possible they peaked too soon? Is it possible that the Georgia offense was the "perfect storm" for their defense to expose? Can they "peak" again against a much more balanced offensive Bama team that can pass it and run it?

2. Auburn has a different type of QB than MSU and we should be able to provide more pressure to the point of their attack than we could against MSU. Stidham is a good athlete, but Fitzpatrick was more like defending Tim Tebow and when you are 6'5" you fall forward almost everytime for a 2-3 yard gain.

3. And of course, we have CNS and CJP who get two weeks to analyze their rushing/passing attack they put on display against Georgia.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
I don't disagree...Injuries are at play. LSU and MSU are probably the two best teams we've played...especially after the initial injuries from game 1 at linebacker. After suffering more injuries against LSU I guess we shouldn't be shocked.

The LSU injuries and the way we had to defend MSU with their QB contributed, I'm sure.

1. As someone on the ranking show said last night, "Auburn was on fire" against Georgia. They obviously are peaking at the right time in the year, but is it possible they peaked too soon? Is it possible that the Georgia offense was the "perfect storm" for their defense to expose? Can they "peak" again against a much more balanced offensive Bama team that can pass it and run it?

2. Auburn has a different type of QB than MSU and we should be able to provide more pressure to the point of their attack than we could against MSU. Stidham is a good athlete, but Fitzpatrick was more like defending Tim Tebow and when you are 6'5" you fall forward almost everytime for a 2-3 yard gain.

3. And of course, we have CNS and CJP who get two weeks to analyze their rushing/passing attack they put on display against Georgia.
one more thing going for us. two more weeks of practice for Holcombe and moses, plus what I think we all predict to be a LOT of game reps against a relatively similar offense.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
one more thing going for us. two more weeks of practice for Holcombe and moses, plus what I think we all predict to be a LOT of game reps against a relatively similar offense.
Good...I asked this yesterday. I was hoping Mercer ran a similar offensive as Auburn. Glad we aren't playing an option team this week. Anybody remember the Georgia Southern game when they ran all over us the week before the Auburn game?

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
CNS does...
Good...I asked this yesterday. I was hoping Mercer ran a similar offensive as Auburn. Glad we aren't playing an option team this week. Anybody remember the Georgia Southern game when they ran all over us the week before the Auburn game?

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa

Good points. And Stidham is a good athlete, but my guess is he's a couple of inches shorter and maybe 40 or so pounds lighter than Fitzgerald. And a bit slower. I wouldn't expect to see regular plays called for him to slam into the line. Even with Fitzgerald's size and toughness I think he pretty beat up by the end of Saturday night.

I expect API to run hard at us most of the afternoon, but not with their quarterback. Which makes it easier to account for the ball carrier. We had a few too many solid hits Saturday night on the guy without the ball.

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
I expect the barn to pull guys and pound the defense with Johnson early...then, they'll try going over the top when our safeties start cheating up. Pressure on stickman is going to be paramount.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.