Y'all ready for some more Gary Danielson? Iron Bowl 2:30 CBS - Page 4
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Re: Y'all ready for some more Gary Danielson? Iron Bowl 2:30 CBS

Another thing about Danielson and commentators in general is that if they say anything that isn't a 100% homer comment about Bama, then Bama fans here, on WJOX, etc, lose their minds. People need thicker skin. If he says something negative about Bama, and it's true, so what?
    Last edited by dayhiker; November 14th, 2017 at 08:46 AM.

2. Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    I tried listening to GMac Saturday night - gag. The second half was muted again.
    /RANT
    I'm usually one to semi-defend Greg....but my goodness he was even getting on MY nerves badly.

I love the guy but by the end of the game I really wanted to punch him.....seriously....and I'm a pretty chill person outside of sports.

When he was complimenting the Refs for calling DPI on us on a Slant route in the 2nd half .....

...and THEN that Hail Mary play that NEVER gets a penalty....

....but NOT saying ANYTHING about the MULTIPLE Offensive Holding pays they were letting MSU get away with and ONE 2 plays earlier that let Fitzgerald complete a pass to SET-UP that Hail-Mary.....

I mean I really wanted to knock some teeth out his mouth....lol.

I just can't defend him anymore......still love the guy all said and done but he's taking it waaaaaaaay too far the other direction.
    Last edited by tusks_n_raider; November 13th, 2017 at 05:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tusks_n_raider View Post
    I'm usually one to semi-defend Greg....but my goodness he was even getting on MY nerves badly.

I love the guy but by the end of the game I really wanted to punch him.....seriously....and I'm a pretty chill person outside of sports.

When he was complimenting the Refs for calling DPI on us on a Slant route in the 2nd half .....

....but NOT saying ANYTHING about the MULTIPLE Offensive Holding pays they letting were MSU get away with and ONE 2 plays earlier that let Fitzgerald complete a pass to SET-UP that Hail-Mary.....

I just can't defend him anymore......still love the guy all said and done but he's taking it waaaaaaaay too far the other direction.
    To quote the various memes that are out there on social media about the state of our country, "Show me on this doll where his words hurt you?" I think you made my point in the post above yours.

BamaNation All-American

I wish they would all just stop talking every now and then. It is not radio. You can shut up for 30 seconds and no one will change the channel.
    Roll Tide

....but NOT saying ANYTHING about the MULTIPLE Offensive Holding pays they were letting MSU get away with and ONE 2 plays earlier that let Fitzgerald complete a pass to SET-UP that Hail-Mary.....

While he rambled about the DPI on the Hail Mary, I might have used some choice words. I can't stand Greg anymore. Used to like the job he was doing, but he's just too much now.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

BamaNation Hall of Fame deliveryman35's Avatar

Having Brad Nessler now in the booth has made Gary more bearable for me. Nessler is the best play-by play-guy in the business.
    "Football is a hard game. These spread coaches forget that. Until good defenses remind them." Gene Stallings

Quote Originally Posted by dayhiker View Post
    To quote the various memes that are out there on social media about the state of our country, "Show me on this doll where his words hurt you?" I think you made my point in the post above yours.
    Well I'm not THAT sensitive about it....I'm saying it all in half-jest. Maybe I should have blue-fonted a few parts.

I've always liked Greg....I've defended his views a lot.

But he was ridiculous the other night. He doesn't need to kiss our behinds on TV but he doesn't have to go out of his way to IGNORE the opponent getting away with calls and laughing about it and then being all righteous about every ticky tack flag called on us being 'them's the rules'.

BamaNation All-American Go Bama's Avatar

My favorite color guy of all time was Ken Stabler. He knew football and was so relaxed. I hated when he was let go.

Baseball has a lot of really good announcers. Chip Carey and Joe Simpson do a great job with the Braves. They’re on the air almost everyday so if you don’t like the announcers they lose their job. Football commentators should take note.

Well I'm not THAT sensitive about it....I'm saying it all in half-jest. Maybe I should have blue-fonted a few parts.

I've always liked Greg....I've defended his views a lot.

But he was ridiculous the other night. He doesn't need to kiss our behinds on TV but he doesn't have to go out of his way to IGNORE the opponent getting away with calls and laughing about it and then being all righteous about every ticky tack flag called on us being 'them's the rules'.
    I'll buy that. He just seems too rigid in that role too.

BamaNation All-American Intl.Aperture's Avatar

The dichotomy of Gary Danielson has been well stated here but just to give one last example he was calling a game recently- not one of ours and I can't recall which one it was.

Anyways, he says "backup player so and so on the defense is collapsing and over pursuing his gaps on the boundary and if I were (team name) I'd target that player."
    2 plays later they do just that and get a touchdown.
    Gary goes: "I guess coach what's-his-name was listening in to us up here! He did exactly what I said!"

I said out loud, "Yah Gary, you're a genius and won't let anyone forget it."

Knows his football and makes the games interesting but he's only a few steps away from X-rated self gratification on national television. That's the part that grinds on me. It's never supposed to be about the announcers, he should never bring the attention back to himself.

Kirk Herbatreit actually does a good job of not unnecessarily calling attention back to himself. I disagree with his analysis in-game than Gary but I think he has the mechanics of calling a game transparently down better than Gary.

It's an art form guys and it is WAYYYY harder than it looks to do. Still, it is their profession but I do have some grace for them. I always hated listening to Brian Griese call games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “And what's strange, what would be marvelous, is not that God should really exist; the marvel is that such an idea, the idea of the necessity of God, could enter the head of such a savage, vicious beast as man.”
    - Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    People call Danielson an idiot and talk about how annoying he is, but the fact of the matter is the guy knows football. Does he have his quirks that get annoying? Yep. But they all do. If I listen to an announcer long enough there will be things that they say or do that are annoying to me. But Gary Danielson knows the game of football. He does it several times a game in every game. He played the game and played it at a very, very high level. So naturally he knows the in's and out's of situational football. Many times he knows what the coaches and players are thinking in a certain situation because he's been in that situation before. He also watches a lot of film before each game he calls and also attends some practices. He gets more understanding of both teams than most college analyst I hear.
    I agree 1000%. Everyone talks about Danielson not being a good broadcaster but he's one of my favorite. Super intelligent when it comes to the Xs & Os of football.

He will get on something and continue to harp on it over and over and over and that can get annoying but I still think he's one of the better announcers in college football.

I haven't seen anyone mention it yet but I think we are very fortunate that this is a 2:30 game. I did not want this game to be a night game at all.

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Skeeterpop View Post
    I haven't seen anyone mention it yet but I think we are very fortunate that this is a 2:30 game. I did not want this game to be a night game at all.
    I feel the same way. I don't believe in luck, but weird stuff happens in that stadium.