Y'all ready for some more Gary Danielson? Iron Bowl 2:30 CBS - Page 5
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Re: Y'all ready for some more Gary Danielson? Iron Bowl 2:30 CBS

Quote Originally Posted by Skeeterpop View Post
    I haven't seen anyone mention it yet but I think we are very fortunate that this is a 2:30 game. I did not want this game to be a night game at all.
    2013 was a 2:30 kick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    2013 was a 2:30 kick.

Gary?

There was a period of time when Keith Jackson and Frank Broyles were the best, maybe ever. Then Keith became a total west coast homer and from then on he was hard to take. Don't why know other than the fact that he had moved to the west coast and spent the last years of his life there. If I remember correctly, he grew up in south Georgia, NW Florida. I guess he just caught the west coast bug.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeeterpop View Post
    I haven't seen anyone mention it yet but I think we are very fortunate that this is a 2:30 game. I did not want this game to be a night game at all.
    The final 3rd of the game (20 mins or so) will be night-time. So crunch time will still have a night game feel.

But good news for us is that Jalen plays his best in Prime-time under bright lights.

Plus even as crazy as that place is it won't even remotely phase him. I like our chances in a 4th quarter fight no matter the atmosphere.

Quote Originally Posted by Redwood Forrest View Post
    Tell me AGAIN Gary, what kind of QB does it take to beat Bama?
    Ol' Gar will pull a fast one, watch - It isn't dual-threat QBs anymore, it'll be that Stidham can throw a deep ball

Quote Originally Posted by Tideflyer View Post
    God, I wish I could figure out some way to sync Eli with my TV.
    If you have a way to pause live TV, there is. Eli is usually 5-10sec ahead of the TV broadcast. You just pause the TV until the snap and voila.

This game has, more often than not, been a 2:30 kick. I've always liked it because as it gets later in the game, it starts getting darker... the ultimate "hurry up, time's running out" feel to it.

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    That was Verne, not Gary. I remember it very well. Verne (maybe at the instruction of the producers, who knows?) continued to push that story line throughout the entire game. Gary is annoying, but far from being the most annoying. Flip over to Fox Sports One or stay up for some of the late west coast games on ESPN if you want to hear mind numbing, jump off a bride while jabbing your eyes out with a dull butter knife annoying.
    You are right - almost certainly at their production meeting or specific instructions during the game. They are all at the command of their producer. Gary even admitted recently that he has the final say on nothing regarding themes and even some phrasing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    Gary is annoying, but far from being the most annoying. Flip over to Fox Sports One or stay up for some of the late west coast games on ESPN if you want to hear mind numbing, jump off a bride while jabbing your eyes out with a dull butter knife annoying.
    This here is a family friendly site, but you can probably get away talking about bride jumping over on the non-sports page! Ha!!!
    Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Go Bama View Post
    My favorite color guy of all time was Ken Stabler. He knew football and was so relaxed. I hated when he was let go.

Baseball has a lot of really good announcers. Chip Carey and Joe Simpson do a great job with the Braves. Theyíre on the air almost everyday so if you donít like the announcers they lose their job. Football commentators should take note.
    I don't listen anymore, but Joe Simpson was the best. Sutton drove me crazy, the ongoing game was simply a backdrop for his opinions about "things".

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Intl.Aperture View Post
    The dichotomy of Gary Danielson has been well stated here but just to give one last example he was calling a game recently- not one of ours and I can't recall which one it was.

Anyways, he says "backup player so and so on the defense is collapsing and over pursuing his gaps on the boundary and if I were (team name) I'd target that player."
    2 plays later they do just that and get a touchdown.
    Gary goes: "I guess coach what's-his-name was listening in to us up here! He did exactly what I said!"

I said out loud, "Yah Gary, you're a genius and won't let anyone forget it."

Knows his football and makes the games interesting but he's only a few steps away from X-rated self gratification on national television. That's the part that grinds on me. It's never supposed to be about the announcers, he should never bring the attention back to himself.

Kirk Herbatreit actually does a good job of not unnecessarily calling attention back to himself. I disagree with his analysis in-game than Gary but I think he has the mechanics of calling a game transparently down better than Gary.

It's an art form guys and it is WAYYYY harder than it looks to do. Still, it is their profession but I do have some grace for them. I always hated listening to Brian Griese call games.

I agree with all of your comments about all 3 guys: Danielson, Herbstreit and Griese. Herbstreit and Fowler are pretty good. I've always like Blackledge, though he sometimes seems a bit cool toward Bama. He once seemed like a fan.

BamaNation All-American

its mostly a matter of personal taste. for instance most give Nessler tons of praise. But i dont care for him at all. at times, i wonder if he's even in the booth watching the game. I love Gary though. Everyone will have their own personal favorites

Quote Originally Posted by RT27 View Post
    You said it, no one called him football ignorant just a total jerk and idiot repeating the same stuff over and over. He is the most annoying announcer on sports TV bar none. he knows football, to bad he has the personality of a cheese grater. The year when Ingram won hiesman every game he did he had to mention multiple times every game about his dad being in prison. OVER AND OVER again, and the little rant about AJ McCarrons girlfriend made me cringe at how creepy he is. With all the sex scandals going on right now I fully expect him to get outed soon. The guy is just a bad announcer, zero talent for on air commentary. Yes he knows football but he really needs someone to teach him how to stick to football and not rattle off every thought that crosses his little mind.
    that was musburger who played uncle mccreepy with aj's girlfriend
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon