Y'all ready for some more Gary Danielson? Iron Bowl 2:30 CBS - Page 7
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame RammerJammer14's Avatar

Re: Y'all ready for some more Gary Danielson? Iron Bowl 2:30 CBS

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    It's not uncommon for announcers to ramble and chase rabbits when filling space. Anybody remember the "What about Britney Spears?!" comment from Mike Patrick that ultimately got him demoted, never to return to anything prime time. It caught Todd Blackledge so off guard it was pathetic.
    I think Blackledge actually asked him what the heck he was talking about, there is a game going on, lol.

I can't remember if that was before or after they interviewed some player on the US Women's soccer team for 5 solid minutes about the upcoming World Cup qualifiers in half a year, all the while the game was being played in the background.
    -Why's it us Sergeant? Why us?
    -Because we're here lad. Nobody else. Just us.

-"I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
    -"So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame RammerJammer14's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    I don't really like any national broadcasters when watching Alabama or Ohio State play. I am too emotionally involved in those games to be interested in someone who is trying to keep your standard college football viewers interested in the game. I don't want interesting "color" or odd factoids. What I want is someone telling me what is happening in the game that may not be obvious to me at the time, but without spin to make it seem "more interesting" or to make me want to stay tuned, because "you never know". And without talking to me as if I had never watched or played the game before.

Guys like Eli Gold tell the story of the game without all of that garbage. They describe the game without trying to turn it into some dramatic battle from ancient times gone by.

And these guys don't every just let the game speak for itself. The older generation knew that sometimes you just needed to shut up and let the viewers experience the game. This generation of analysts really think that we have tuned in to hear their voices or that we cannot possibly understand what is happening on the field if they don't explain it for us (and half the time they get it wrong, so).

The mute button usually works best for me. If something odd happens, I turn on the sound until I am sure that I understand what is happening, then I mute again.

I tried listening to GMac Saturday night - gag. The second half was muted again.

/RANT
    I was trying to stream a game once and it was weird because it had all the crowd noise but it only showed the game, including timeouts- there were no cutaways or commentary at all. I thought they had screwed up the feed or something but it turns out ESPN actually streams an alternative broadcast with zero production other than the cameras and crowd noise. It was actually really enjoyable and I found that the game seemed much less stressful.
    -Why's it us Sergeant? Why us?
    -Because we're here lad. Nobody else. Just us.

-"I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
    -"So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Quote Originally Posted by RammerJammer14 View Post
    I think Blackledge actually asked him what the heck he was talking about, there is a game going on, lol.
    Yah, he did - IIRC it was overtime, not like a blowout that people weren't interested in...
    To err is human, to really foul things up requires a computer.

BamaNation All-American Go Bama's Avatar

Here’s the clip. It’s funny now.

Hmm ... not sure why that didn’t embed.
    Last edited by RTR91; November 14th, 2017 at 10:35 AM.

BamaNation First Team

I am ready for some Gary Danielson....................... retirement LOL

BamaNation First Team TomFromBama's Avatar

I can't remember if that was before or after they interviewed some player on the US Women's soccer team for 5 solid minutes about the upcoming World Cup qualifiers in half a year, all the while the game was being played in the background.
    LOL!! You could read a novel during most soccer games without missing anything meaningful on the field!
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    "Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses..."
    Dennis of Mercia, British Statesman/Philosopher,
    (895 A.D. - ?).

I'll take a CBS 3:30 eastern time game over a night game every Saturday especially when I have tickets to the game and it is in Tuscaloosa. That 82 drive back to Prattville is not fun at night, usually closest hotel I can find.

BamaNation First Team Alabama22's Avatar

Ugh!

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideMom2Boys's Avatar

I was trying to stream a game once and it was weird because it had all the crowd noise but it only showed the game, including timeouts- there were no cutaways or commentary at all. I thought they had screwed up the feed or something but it turns out ESPN actually streams an alternative broadcast with zero production other than the cameras and crowd noise. It was actually really enjoyable and I found that the game seemed much less stressful.
    Yes, it is the control center version I think. I remember watching one of the National championships that way. It was really nice.
    Roll Tide

BamaNation First Team TomFromBama's Avatar

As much as people fuss about Danielson, I actually think he's one of the best - at least among those currently working.

I don't particularly care that he usually cheers some for our opponents, but my sense is that he just wants to see a good game, not that he has any particular bias against us. A very DIFFERENT "Sense" than I got from Herbstreit during his three hour Clempson Love-Fest during the NC game last January.

Danielson probably has a broader and deeper knowledge of the game than anyone else announcing these days.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    "Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses..."
    Dennis of Mercia, British Statesman/Philosopher,
    (895 A.D. - ?).

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

To add fuel to the Danielson Hate fire. He was on a CBS Sports talk radio show this morning and made the following statement:

"If Alabama UPSETS Auburn and wins out they are automatically in the playoff."

Last edited by Bamabuzzard; Yesterday at 05:01 PM.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation Hall of Fame Tidewater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    To add fuel to the Danielson Hate fire he was on a CBS Sports talk radio show this morning and made the following statement:

"If Alabama UPSETS Auburn and wins out they are automatically in the playoff."

What's the spread for the Iron Bowl?
    I can't imagine Bama or the Barn losing this weekend, so I doubt there will be much movement on the spread between now and game time.
    Challenge your preconceptions, or they will surely challenge you.

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tidewater View Post
    What's the spread for the Iron Bowl?
    I can't imagine Bama or the Barn losing this weekend, so I doubt there will be much movement on the spread between now and game time.
    Alabama -3.5, but almost every analyst is picking Auburn. Alabama has been declared dead and buried by the media once again.