Y'all ready for some more Gary Danielson? Iron Bowl 2:30 CBS

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
Gary is annoying, but far from being the most annoying. Flip over to Fox Sports One or stay up for some of the late west coast games on ESPN if you want to hear mind numbing, jump off a bride while jabbing your eyes out with a dull butter knife annoying.
This here is a family friendly site, but you can probably get away talking about bride jumping over on the non-sports page! Ha!!! ;)

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
My favorite color guy of all time was Ken Stabler. He knew football and was so relaxed. I hated when he was let go.

Baseball has a lot of really good announcers. Chip Carey and Joe Simpson do a great job with the Braves. They’re on the air almost everyday so if you don’t like the announcers they lose their job. Football commentators should take note.
I don't listen anymore, but Joe Simpson was the best. Sutton drove me crazy, the ongoing game was simply a backdrop for his opinions about "things".

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
The dichotomy of Gary Danielson has been well stated here but just to give one last example he was calling a game recently- not one of ours and I can't recall which one it was.

Anyways, he says "backup player so and so on the defense is collapsing and over pursuing his gaps on the boundary and if I were (team name) I'd target that player."
2 plays later they do just that and get a touchdown.
Gary goes: "I guess coach what's-his-name was listening in to us up here! He did exactly what I said!"

I said out loud, "Yah Gary, you're a genius and won't let anyone forget it."

Knows his football and makes the games interesting but he's only a few steps away from X-rated self gratification on national television. That's the part that grinds on me. It's never supposed to be about the announcers, he should never bring the attention back to himself.

Kirk Herbatreit actually does a good job of not unnecessarily calling attention back to himself. I disagree with his analysis in-game than Gary but I think he has the mechanics of calling a game transparently down better than Gary.

It's an art form guys and it is WAYYYY harder than it looks to do. Still, it is their profession but I do have some grace for them. I always hated listening to Brian Griese call games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree with all of your comments about all 3 guys: Danielson, Herbstreit and Griese. Herbstreit and Fowler are pretty good. I've always like Blackledge, though he sometimes seems a bit cool toward Bama. He once seemed like a fan.

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
its mostly a matter of personal taste. for instance most give Nessler tons of praise. But i dont care for him at all. at times, i wonder if he's even in the booth watching the game. I love Gary though. Everyone will have their own personal favorites

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
You said it, no one called him football ignorant just a total jerk and idiot repeating the same stuff over and over. He is the most annoying announcer on sports TV bar none. he knows football, to bad he has the personality of a cheese grater. The year when Ingram won hiesman every game he did he had to mention multiple times every game about his dad being in prison. OVER AND OVER again, and the little rant about AJ McCarrons girlfriend made me cringe at how creepy he is. With all the sex scandals going on right now I fully expect him to get outed soon. The guy is just a bad announcer, zero talent for on air commentary. Yes he knows football but he really needs someone to teach him how to stick to football and not rattle off every thought that crosses his little mind.
that was musburger who played uncle mccreepy with aj's girlfriend

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
I really don't dislike Danielson so much, but he does something that drives me crazy. When a pass catch is going out of bounds he will look and comment on it forever! He does the same thing when a player fumbles and it's in question whether he is down. The way he comments is almost like one team is trying to get away with something. He does it in every game. I realize the guy is just doing his job, but it just irritates me. RTR!

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
How about a "Bring Back Verne" movement. Just for this game....
I'd love that, but I happen to be a big Verne fan. I think he captures a moment as well as anyone ever has by saying the least amount of words. He allows the viewer to watch and nudges emotions.
Good example would be Eddie Jackson's punt return against Ole Miss last year.
The play by play call was simply....."Eddie Jackson........Eddie Jackson.......Eddie Jackson......."
Most play by play guys would have been, "Jackson takes it the twenty, he's to the 35, the 50, the 40!, the 30!, the 20! the 10! Touchdown!!!!"
Well duh. We're watching the game on television so why make it a radio broadcast??
Regardless, I like Nessler and Danielson as well. Every Ole Miss, MSU or LSU fan I know accuses him of being beyond Pro-Bama.
He certainly doesn't seem to be anti-Tide to me.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Another thing about Danielson and commentators in general is that if they say anything that isn't a 100% homer comment about Bama, then Bama fans here, on WJOX, etc, lost their minds. People need thicker skin. If he says something negative about Bama, and it's true, so what?
Recognizing that Eli is paid to be a homer and that the guys on the networks cannot be is so often overlooked.

Even with Greg, though he might be trying too hard not to be a homer, I listened to the same game as everyone else and if you listened to hear Greg talk about how much he loves Bama and how great Bama is the whole game then you were not going to hear what you wanted to hear.

As well, these guys aren't paid to talk about the game for Bama fans, but for college football fans. So, of course when Gary talks about the kick six we get sick of it, but the average fan doesn't hear it the same way we do.

And we can remember how great Keith Jackson was, but that's comparing apples to oranges. We only got a few games a year in those days and I always thought he was very "pro-Bama" as much as he could be...probably because he respected coach Bryant so much.

Basically, these guys aren't paid to tell us how great we are especially in games when we are stinking in up the way we've done the last couples of games.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I'd love that, but I happen to be a big Verne fan. I think he captures a moment as well as anyone ever has by saying the least amount of words. He allows the viewer to watch and nudges emotions.
Good example would be Eddie Jackson's punt return against Ole Miss last year.
The play by play call was simply....."Eddie Jackson........Eddie Jackson.......Eddie Jackson......."
Most play by play guys would have been, "Jackson takes it the twenty, he's to the 35, the 50, the 40!, the 30!, the 20! the 10! Touchdown!!!!"
Well duh. We're watching the game on television so why make it a radio broadcast??
Regardless, I like Nessler and Danielson as well. Every Ole Miss, MSU or LSU fan I know accuses him of being beyond Pro-Bama.
He certainly doesn't seem to be anti-Tide to me.
I think his call on the AJ to TJ screen pass was one of the most exciting I've ever heard!!! I loved Verne.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKb6AaFgzWY

Last edited:

dadleyblane5

All-SEC
Apr 19, 2011
DeFuniak Springs Fl.
Yes, Gary is really annoying. He used to have really nothing good to say about Bama when he would call one of our games. But I've noticed the last 2 seasons or so, Gary has actually complimented us, and has gotten better at not "Bama hating". I don't know why, but he has. The first time I heard him compliment us, I told my wife to go get me an aspirin, I was going to have a heart attack. He mentions things in games sometimes that we would all like him NOT to mention and he does it over and over again, but, and that's a relatively big "but"... I gotta admit as annoying as the man is at times, he knows the game of football. I've heard him, as I'm sure you have before , call a play before we do it, and BAM we run it. So, I agree he's annoying at times, but his football IQ is right up there with the best.

Last edited:

bamatex82

All-SEC
Oct 5, 2001
Greenville, TX
You're not. I like him as well. There's not one announcer that doesn't do something that (if I listen to them long enough) will irritate me. Maybe that's just something being wrong with me. LOL! Gary's no different, but he's one heck of a game analyst.
agree

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
It's not uncommon for announcers to ramble and chase rabbits when filling space. Anybody remember the "What about Britney Spears?!" comment from Mike Patrick that ultimately got him demoted, never to return to anything prime time. It caught Todd Blackledge so off guard it was pathetic.
I think Blackledge actually asked him what the heck he was talking about, there is a game going on, lol.

I can't remember if that was before or after they interviewed some player on the US Women's soccer team for 5 solid minutes about the upcoming World Cup qualifiers in half a year, all the while the game was being played in the background.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
I don't really like any national broadcasters when watching Alabama or Ohio State play. I am too emotionally involved in those games to be interested in someone who is trying to keep your standard college football viewers interested in the game. I don't want interesting "color" or odd factoids. What I want is someone telling me what is happening in the game that may not be obvious to me at the time, but without spin to make it seem "more interesting" or to make me want to stay tuned, because "you never know". And without talking to me as if I had never watched or played the game before.

Guys like Eli Gold tell the story of the game without all of that garbage. They describe the game without trying to turn it into some dramatic battle from ancient times gone by.

And these guys don't every just let the game speak for itself. The older generation knew that sometimes you just needed to shut up and let the viewers experience the game. This generation of analysts really think that we have tuned in to hear their voices or that we cannot possibly understand what is happening on the field if they don't explain it for us (and half the time they get it wrong, so).

The mute button usually works best for me. If something odd happens, I turn on the sound until I am sure that I understand what is happening, then I mute again.

I tried listening to GMac Saturday night - gag. The second half was muted again.

/RANT
I was trying to stream a game once and it was weird because it had all the crowd noise but it only showed the game, including timeouts- there were no cutaways or commentary at all. I thought they had screwed up the feed or something but it turns out ESPN actually streams an alternative broadcast with zero production other than the cameras and crowd noise. It was actually really enjoyable and I found that the game seemed much less stressful.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.