Y'all ready for some more Gary Danielson? Iron Bowl 2:30 CBS

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I tried listening to GMac Saturday night - gag. The second half was muted again.
/RANT
I'm usually one to semi-defend Greg....but my goodness he was even getting on MY nerves badly.

I love the guy but by the end of the game I really wanted to punch him.....seriously....and I'm a pretty chill person outside of sports.

When he was complimenting the Refs for calling DPI on us on a Slant route in the 2nd half .....

...and THEN that Hail Mary play that NEVER gets a penalty....

....but NOT saying ANYTHING about the MULTIPLE Offensive Holding pays they were letting MSU get away with and ONE 2 plays earlier that let Fitzgerald complete a pass to SET-UP that Hail-Mary.....

I mean I really wanted to knock some teeth out his mouth....lol.

I just can't defend him anymore......still love the guy all said and done but he's taking it waaaaaaaay too far the other direction.

Last edited:

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
I'm usually one to semi-defend Greg....but my goodness he was even getting on MY nerves badly.

I love the guy but by the end of the game I really wanted to punch him.....seriously....and I'm a pretty chill person outside of sports.

When he was complimenting the Refs for calling DPI on us on a Slant route in the 2nd half .....

....but NOT saying ANYTHING about the MULTIPLE Offensive Holding pays they letting were MSU get away with and ONE 2 plays earlier that let Fitzgerald complete a pass to SET-UP that Hail-Mary.....

I just can't defend him anymore......still love the guy all said and done but he's taking it waaaaaaaay too far the other direction.
To quote the various memes that are out there on social media about the state of our country, "Show me on this doll where his words hurt you?" I think you made my point in the post above yours.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

....but NOT saying ANYTHING about the MULTIPLE Offensive Holding pays they were letting MSU get away with and ONE 2 plays earlier that let Fitzgerald complete a pass to SET-UP that Hail-Mary.....

While he rambled about the DPI on the Hail Mary, I might have used some choice words. I can't stand Greg anymore. Used to like the job he was doing, but he's just too much now.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
To quote the various memes that are out there on social media about the state of our country, "Show me on this doll where his words hurt you?" I think you made my point in the post above yours.
Well I'm not THAT sensitive about it....I'm saying it all in half-jest. Maybe I should have blue-fonted a few parts.

I've always liked Greg....I've defended his views a lot.

But he was ridiculous the other night. He doesn't need to kiss our behinds on TV but he doesn't have to go out of his way to IGNORE the opponent getting away with calls and laughing about it and then being all righteous about every ticky tack flag called on us being 'them's the rules'.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
My favorite color guy of all time was Ken Stabler. He knew football and was so relaxed. I hated when he was let go.

Baseball has a lot of really good announcers. Chip Carey and Joe Simpson do a great job with the Braves. They’re on the air almost everyday so if you don’t like the announcers they lose their job. Football commentators should take note.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
Well I'm not THAT sensitive about it....I'm saying it all in half-jest. Maybe I should have blue-fonted a few parts.

I've always liked Greg....I've defended his views a lot.

But he was ridiculous the other night. He doesn't need to kiss our behinds on TV but he doesn't have to go out of his way to IGNORE the opponent getting away with calls and laughing about it and then being all righteous about every ticky tack flag called on us being 'them's the rules'.
I'll buy that. He just seems too rigid in that role too.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
The dichotomy of Gary Danielson has been well stated here but just to give one last example he was calling a game recently- not one of ours and I can't recall which one it was.

Anyways, he says "backup player so and so on the defense is collapsing and over pursuing his gaps on the boundary and if I were (team name) I'd target that player."
2 plays later they do just that and get a touchdown.
Gary goes: "I guess coach what's-his-name was listening in to us up here! He did exactly what I said!"

I said out loud, "Yah Gary, you're a genius and won't let anyone forget it."

Knows his football and makes the games interesting but he's only a few steps away from X-rated self gratification on national television. That's the part that grinds on me. It's never supposed to be about the announcers, he should never bring the attention back to himself.

Kirk Herbatreit actually does a good job of not unnecessarily calling attention back to himself. I disagree with his analysis in-game than Gary but I think he has the mechanics of calling a game transparently down better than Gary.

It's an art form guys and it is WAYYYY harder than it looks to do. Still, it is their profession but I do have some grace for them. I always hated listening to Brian Griese call games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
People call Danielson an idiot and talk about how annoying he is, but the fact of the matter is the guy knows football. Does he have his quirks that get annoying? Yep. But they all do. If I listen to an announcer long enough there will be things that they say or do that are annoying to me. But Gary Danielson knows the game of football. He does it several times a game in every game. He played the game and played it at a very, very high level. So naturally he knows the in's and out's of situational football. Many times he knows what the coaches and players are thinking in a certain situation because he's been in that situation before. He also watches a lot of film before each game he calls and also attends some practices. He gets more understanding of both teams than most college analyst I hear.
I agree 1000%. Everyone talks about Danielson not being a good broadcaster but he's one of my favorite. Super intelligent when it comes to the Xs & Os of football.

He will get on something and continue to harp on it over and over and over and that can get annoying but I still think he's one of the better announcers in college football.

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
I haven't seen anyone mention it yet but I think we are very fortunate that this is a 2:30 game. I did not want this game to be a night game at all.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I haven't seen anyone mention it yet but I think we are very fortunate that this is a 2:30 game. I did not want this game to be a night game at all.
I feel the same way. I don't believe in luck, but weird stuff happens in that stadium.

bodiddle

All-SEC
May 14, 2006
There was a period of time when Keith Jackson and Frank Broyles were the best, maybe ever. Then Keith became a total west coast homer and from then on he was hard to take. Don't why know other than the fact that he had moved to the west coast and spent the last years of his life there. If I remember correctly, he grew up in south Georgia, NW Florida. I guess he just caught the west coast bug.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
The final 3rd of the game (20 mins or so) will be night-time. So crunch time will still have a night game feel.

But good news for us is that Jalen plays his best in Prime-time under bright lights.

Plus even as crazy as that place is it won't even remotely phase him. I like our chances in a 4th quarter fight no matter the atmosphere.

GHoppr

Suspended
Oct 18, 2017
Madison, AL.
This game has, more often than not, been a 2:30 kick. I've always liked it because as it gets later in the game, it starts getting darker... the ultimate "hurry up, time's running out" feel to it.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
That was Verne, not Gary. I remember it very well. Verne (maybe at the instruction of the producers, who knows?) continued to push that story line throughout the entire game. Gary is annoying, but far from being the most annoying. Flip over to Fox Sports One or stay up for some of the late west coast games on ESPN if you want to hear mind numbing, jump off a bride while jabbing your eyes out with a dull butter knife annoying.
You are right - almost certainly at their production meeting or specific instructions during the game. They are all at the command of their producer. Gary even admitted recently that he has the final say on nothing regarding themes and even some phrasing.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.