Y'all ready for some more Gary Danielson? Iron Bowl 2:30 CBS

bamaslaw

All-SEC
Jan 16, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I like Gary overall when you hear him vs. some other commentators. He generally does his homework and is intelligent when speaking about the game.

His main flaw is that he likes to point out something... and stay with it the whole game.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
I am surprised ESPN has not hired him, they seem to love idiots on that network these days. he would fit right in until he does another "AJ McCarron girlfriend rant" then he will be fired like the rest of the folks who cannot just stop talking sometimes.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
I kind of agree but (and maybe this is nostalgia) I don't think I ever got tired of Keith Jackson. He just had 'IT' and almost elevated the prestige of any game he called.

Fowler is pretty good with Herbstreit but they can be annoying in blowout games when they are trying to find something to talk about.

Danielson though.....I mean I agree he knows his X's and O's....he's not dumb....but he is SOOOO insufferable at times with the way he goes ON and ON about the same things.

I really don't think he's fully unbiased either. He really seems to relish seeing us in a dogfight/upsets and it never feels like it's because he just 'wants a good game'.

He also NEVER turns down an opportunity to rub our noses in past miscues. If he can find a way to bring up Tebow, Garcia, Cam, Manziel, Bo Wallace, The 1 second play, Trevor Knight, Chad Kelly etc etc.....you better believe he'll do it.

He's man crush on Tebow was beyond nauseating. I don't really remember him being very excited about us being competitive in the 2008 SECCG or taking the Gators dreams away in 2009 either.

But Maybe I just don't flat like him though. That's possible.
Keith Jackson was the best ever, he stuck to the game he was covering. He only talked about relevant info to the game he was doing. And he knew when to let go of something, and not beat it to death. There is no one on any network even close to Jackson. Sad that in this day and the money they pay, they cannot find good commentators. My opinion is they need to quit hiring ex players and hire professional communication grads who have worked in radio and TV for years. Just cause you know a sport does not make you a good announcer. You need good personalities with skill and let some ex jock feed them stats on the sport, or be side kick to explain plays. Many of the old gaurd like Jaqckson had done it so long they were also students of the game, but they were TV and Radio personalities and professionals. Not some washed up ex QB talking like uncle bob at the house on saturday reliving his glory days as a player.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I kind of agree but (and maybe this is nostalgia) I don't think I ever got tired of Keith Jackson. He just had 'IT' and almost elevated the prestige of any game he called.

Fowler is pretty good with Herbstreit but they can be annoying in blowout games when they are trying to find something to talk about.

Danielson though.....I mean I agree he knows his X's and O's....he's not dumb....but he is SOOOO insufferable at times with the way he goes ON and ON about the same things.

I really don't think he's fully unbiased either. He really seems to relish seeing us in a dogfight/upset and it never feels like it's because he just 'want's a good game'.

He also NEVER turns down an opportunity to rub our noses in past miscues. If he can find a way to bring up Tebow, Garcia, Cam, Manziel, Bo Wallace, The 1 second play, Trevor Knight, Chad Kelly etc etc.....you better believe he'll do it.

He's man crush on Tebow was beyond nauseating. I don't really remember him being very excited about us being competitive in the 2008 SECCG or taking the Gators dreams away in 2009 either.

But Maybe I just don't flat like him though. That's possible.

He's just not your flavor of ice cream. That's why there's so many flavors. :biggrin2:

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I've come to the conclusion that I'm about the only person the planet that likes Gary Danielson.
If he would mention the ending of the 2013 game once (hopefully early in the broadcast) and not mention it again, he would less get on my nerves.
I swear, he'll mention that one play half a dozen times at the Iron Bowl.
If he mentioned Coach Saban in 2008 telling the offense "Don't you know how much I hate these guys!?!" once for every mention of the 2013 game, it would grate a little less.
Or the other games under Coach Saban's tenure that were such curb-stompings of the Booger-eaters that a missed field goal returned for a TD would simply be an oddity or the one bright spot in a very dismal day for the Barn, "You know Brad in 2008, it would have taken five kick-sixes for Auburn to win, because Alabama was crushing Auburn so badly that year. And in 2012, it would have taken eight kick-sixes for Auburn to win! What a Auburn beat-down that was."
If he said something like that, I'd be a little more forgiving of the constant "You know, Brad, back in 2013..."

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
He's just not your flavor of ice cream. That's why there's so many flavors. :biggrin2:
Yes but some flavors are so horrible they should be discontinued, He is the equavilent of anchoive with hot sauce and spinach flavored ice cream. JUST bad period.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I like Gary pretty well when he is calling a close game. Fortunately, we don't play in a lot of close games, so Gary has to ramble to try to keep things interesting. When he is just talking about the game, he is a solid analyst. When he rambles, he becomes annoying.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
I like Gary pretty well when he is calling a close game. Fortunately, we don't play in a lot of close games, so Gary has to ramble to try to keep things interesting. When he is just talking about the game, he is a solid analyst. When he rambles, he becomes annoying.
It's not uncommon for announcers to ramble and chase rabbits when filling space. Anybody remember the "What about Britney Spears?!" comment from Mike Patrick that ultimately got him demoted, never to return to anything prime time. It caught Todd Blackledge so off guard it was pathetic.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I like Danielson until he starts taking delight in the possibility that Bama might get beat. It won't just be the kick 6, we’ll get to see Greg Grant footage from 1972 and Mark Ingram’s fumble in the Cam game.

Playing the boogs is a nightmare. Danielson delights in making it worse.

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
I've come to the conclusion that I'm about the only person the planet that likes Gary Danielson.
nah, you're not alone. I think he's probably my favorite color guy. What others said is true, he hangs onto a point too long sometimes.

He is GMac's role model. :biggrin:
i think he's okay, but GMc has a long way to go. He is still too reliant on cliché and hyperbole, at least for my taste.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
It's not uncommon for announcers to ramble and chase rabbits when filling space. Anybody remember the "What about Britney Spears?!" comment from Mike Patrick that ultimately got him demoted, never to return to anything prime time. It caught Todd Blackledge so off guard it was pathetic.
I had no heard of that before and just looked it on YouTube. Gave me a good laugh..

FThomas

1st Team
Oct 18, 2011
I find it interesting people comparing Danielson to Keith Jackson. Keith Jackson was the best play by play man all time. Danielson is a color commentator. They have completely different roles. It may be better to compare Danielson to Jackson's color commentator partners, including Jackie Jensen (1966–1967), Lee Grosscup (1972–1973), Bud Wilkinson (1969–1975), Ara Parseghian (1975–1980), Frank Broyles (1978–1985), Lynn Swann (1984–1985), Tim Brant (1986, 2001–2002), Bob Griese (1987–1999), and Dan Fouts(2002–2005).

Also, I am not surprised Danielson repeats himself. With TV coverage at nearly every Bama game combined with Bama's dominance, I bet Danielson has covered more Alabama games in the past decade than Keith Jackson did in a 50 year college football commentating career.

At times he annoys me, but I also think we are hypersensitive because he has covered Alabama so many times over the past decade. Familiarity breeds contempt.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I don't really like any national broadcasters when watching Alabama or Ohio State play. I am too emotionally involved in those games to be interested in someone who is trying to keep your standard college football viewers interested in the game. I don't want interesting "color" or odd factoids. What I want is someone telling me what is happening in the game that may not be obvious to me at the time, but without spin to make it seem "more interesting" or to make me want to stay tuned, because "you never know". And without talking to me as if I had never watched or played the game before.

Guys like Eli Gold tell the story of the game without all of that garbage. They describe the game without trying to turn it into some dramatic battle from ancient times gone by.

And these guys don't every just let the game speak for itself. The older generation knew that sometimes you just needed to shut up and let the viewers experience the game. This generation of analysts really think that we have tuned in to hear their voices or that we cannot possibly understand what is happening on the field if they don't explain it for us (and half the time they get it wrong, so).

The mute button usually works best for me. If something odd happens, I turn on the sound until I am sure that I understand what is happening, then I mute again.

I tried listening to GMac Saturday night - gag. The second half was muted again.

/RANT

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
I had no heard of that before and just looked it on YouTube. Gave me a good laugh..
LOL! Yeah, I was watching that live when it happened. I really didn't see the big "offense" in it. I got what he was trying to say and if anyone at that time was in anyway plugged into to pop culture/current events would have "gotten it". But I guess Blackledge and the decision makers at ESPN didn't.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
That is annoying, but Danielson has a knack for saying, "You know Alabama has a tendency to run [this play] in these situations, " then Alabama runs exactly that play on the next snap. Sometimes it's uncanny.
Yeah, like him or not he knows his stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
I don't really like any national broadcasters when watching Alabama or Ohio State play. I am too emotionally involved in those games to be interested in someone who is trying to keep your standard college football viewers interested in the game. I don't want interesting "color" or odd factoids. What I want is someone telling me what is happening in the game that may not be obvious to me at the time, but without spin to make it seem "more interesting" or to make me want to stay tuned, because "you never know". And without talking to me as if I had never watched or played the game before.

Guys like Eli Gold tell the story of the game without all of that garbage. They describe the game without trying to turn it into some dramatic battle from ancient times gone by.

And these guys don't every just let the game speak for itself. The older generation knew that sometimes you just needed to shut up and let the viewers experience the game. This generation of analysts really think that we have tuned in to hear their voices or that we cannot possibly understand what is happening on the field if they don't explain it for us (and half the time they get it wrong, so).

The mute button usually works best for me. If something odd happens, I turn on the sound until I am sure that I understand what is happening, then I mute again.

I tried listening to GMac Saturday night - gag. The second half was muted again.

/RANT
I will take Phil’s analysis any day over Gary’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
Another thing about Danielson and commentators in general is that if they say anything that isn't a 100% homer comment about Bama, then Bama fans here, on WJOX, etc, lose their minds. People need thicker skin. If he says something negative about Bama, and it's true, so what?

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.