Y'all ready for some more Gary Danielson? Iron Bowl 2:30 CBS

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
That is annoying, but Danielson has a knack for saying, "You know Alabama has a tendency to run [this play] in these situations, " then Alabama runs exactly that play on the next snap. Sometimes it's uncanny.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
That is annoying, but Danielson has a knack for saying, "You know Alabama has a tendency to run [this play] in these situations, " then Alabama runs exactly that play on the next snap. Sometimes it's uncanny.
He knows his stuff, but it can be annoying when you hear about Branden Smith pulling around right end to open up a hole for Kerryon Davis.

To him and Nessler's credit, they nailed Noah Igbinoghene's name.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
If you play the 2013 game reference drinking game, you may die of alcohol poisoning.

I think the stupid nickname for that 2013 game should be illegal on Tidefans and automatic suspension.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Tell me AGAIN Gary, what kind of QB does it take to beat Bama?
Haha...well we know he'll say something about a "hot" qb having a Stephen Garcia game, but the good news for us is Stidham is not Cam Newton or even Nick Marshall in that he won't be as big of a threat with his feet.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
People call Danielson an idiot and talk about how annoying he is, but the fact of the matter is the guy knows football. Does he have his quirks that get annoying? Yep. But they all do. If I listen to an announcer long enough there will be things that they say or do that are annoying to me. But Gary Danielson knows the game of football. He does it several times a game in every game. He played the game and played it at a very, very high level. So naturally he knows the in's and out's of situational football. Many times he knows what the coaches and players are thinking in a certain situation because he's been in that situation before. He also watches a lot of film before each game he calls and also attends some practices. He gets more understanding of both teams than most college analyst I hear.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
People call Danielson an idiot and talk about how annoying he is, but the fact of the matter is the guy knows football. Does he have his quirks that get annoying? Yep. But they all do. If I listen to an announcer long enough there will be things that they say or do that are annoying to me. But Gary Danielson knows the game of football. He does it several times a game in every game. He played the game and played it at a very, very high level. So naturally he knows the in's and out's of situational football. Many times he knows what the coaches and players are thinking in a certain situation because he's been in that situation before. He also watches a lot of film before each game he calls and also attends some practices. He gets more understanding of both teams than most college analyst I hear.
You said it, no one called him football ignorant just a total jerk and idiot repeating the same stuff over and over. He is the most annoying announcer on sports TV bar none. he knows football, to bad he has the personality of a cheese grater. The year when Ingram won hiesman every game he did he had to mention multiple times every game about his dad being in prison. OVER AND OVER again, and the little rant about AJ McCarrons girlfriend made me cringe at how creepy he is. With all the sex scandals going on right now I fully expect him to get outed soon. The guy is just a bad announcer, zero talent for on air commentary. Yes he knows football but he really needs someone to teach him how to stick to football and not rattle off every thought that crosses his little mind.

FThomas

1st Team
Oct 18, 2011
If you play the 2013 game reference drinking game, you may die of alcohol poisoning.
I think the stupid nickname for that 2013 game should be illegal on Tidefans and automatic suspension.
I wonder if the announcers have a similar game they play while web surfing fan sites.

...First person to find a compliment on Gary (or Verne or whoever) wins the round; but for every complaint you read online, you have to drink.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I think he's the best in the business for knowledge of the game and being able to translate it in the form of a broadcast.

Look forward to the game with BOTH Gary and Ness! :p

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
You said it, no one called him football ignorant just a total jerk and idiot repeating the same stuff over and over. He is the most annoying announcer on sports TV bar none. he knows football, to bad he has the personality of a cheese grater. The year when Ingram won hiesman every game he did he had to mention multiple times every game about his dad being in prison. OVER AND OVER again, and the little rant about AL McCarrons girlfriend made me cringe at how creepy he is. With all the sex scandals going on right now I fully expect him to get outed soon. The guy is just a bad announcer, zero talent for on air commentary. Yes he knows football but he really needs someone to teach him how to stick to football and not rattle off every thought that crosses his little mind.
That was Verne, not Gary. I remember it very well. Verne (maybe at the instruction of the producers, who knows?) continued to push that story line throughout the entire game. Gary is annoying, but far from being the most annoying. Flip over to Fox Sports One or stay up for some of the late west coast games on ESPN if you want to hear mind numbing, jump off a bride while jabbing your eyes out with a dull butter knife annoying.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
I've come to the conclusion that I'm about the only person the planet that likes Gary Danielson.
You're not. I like him as well. There's not one announcer that doesn't do something that (if I listen to them long enough) will irritate me. Maybe that's just something being wrong with me. LOL! Gary's no different, but he's one heck of a game analyst.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
I've come to the conclusion that I'm about the only person the planet that likes Gary Danielson.
I'm there with you. As others discussed, his knack for nailing what is about to happen is impressive. Sure, he's annoying, but I find myself overlooking it. I enjoy the CBS broadcast much more with Nessler by his side.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
People call Danielson an idiot and talk about how annoying he is, but the fact of the matter is the guy knows football. Does he have his quirks that get annoying? Yep. But they all do. If I listen to an announcer long enough there will be things that they say or do that are annoying to me.
I kind of agree but (and maybe this is nostalgia) I don't think I ever got tired of Keith Jackson. He just had 'IT' and almost elevated the prestige of any game he called.

Fowler is pretty good with Herbstreit but they can be annoying in blowout games when they are trying to find something to talk about.

Danielson though.....I mean I agree he knows his X's and O's....he's not dumb....but he is SOOOO insufferable at times with the way he goes ON and ON about the same things.

I really don't think he's fully unbiased either. He really seems to relish seeing us in a dogfight/upsets and it never feels like it's because he just 'wants a good game'.

He also NEVER turns down an opportunity to rub our noses in past miscues. If he can find a way to bring up Tebow, Garcia, Cam, Manziel, Bo Wallace, The 1 second play, Trevor Knight, Chad Kelly etc etc.....you better believe he'll do it.

He's man crush on Tebow was beyond nauseating. I don't really remember him being very excited about us being competitive in the 2008 SECCG or taking the Gators dreams away in 2009 either.

But Maybe I just don't flat like him though. That's possible.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.