Kirby Smart vs the Spread - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BamaNation All-American

Re: Kirby Smart vs the Spread

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    The MSU game is really the only game in the last two years where you had this problem. The Smart defenses were terrible on 3rd and long the entire time he was your DC. Pruitt's blitz packages have changed that in a big way.
    Smart would blitz some, which by nature I was happy to see, but they rarely "got there". And it was easy to tell when and from where it was coming. This was so bad, that even we aggressive types wanted him to stop because the opposing team would easily take advantage of vacated areas. The '14 Ark game was the most maddening.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame 230kv_barehand's Avatar

That was my only knock on Kirby, he couldn't stop a spread offense for some reason. I'm thinking he overthinks what he is doing, Pruitt has been much better against those teams until this week and I'm not so worried. Yes we looked like crap against MSU but the LB's were playing in their first game without our big dogs so to speak and no depth what so ever. I think by the time we head to the cow pasture the LB's will have more time played and will be better.
    "I just want you to know you've hired a horse---- football coach, but nobody will out-recruit me."

---Coach Saban to Mal Moore on the flight to Tuscaloosa after being hired

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by snake plissken View Post
    Kirby Smart's defense was never that strong against the spread while at Bama. I believe that is the reason AU was able to expose Georgia on Saturday. With Pruitt calling the plays in 2 weeks, Bama should be a lot stronger shutting down their offense.

Really?

I may be not recalling correctly here, but I'm pretty sure Auburn and Florida both ran the spread in 2009, and Smart beat both teams in back to back weeks.

UGA loses a game and all of a sudden the narrative shifts to "well, he was never that good in the first place and X was always his vulnerability."

Georgia had a whopping 230 TOTAL YARDS on offense. That has nothing at all to do with Smart's defense.

Georgia made stupid penalties. Georgia was 3 of 14 on third down. Georgia had a turnover, Auburn didn't. And Kerryon Johnson ran over, through, and around the Dawg defense, too.

In 2009, Florida only rushed for 88 yards (although they had over 300 yards total offense in what was basically a blowout loss).

Auburn won - once again - because they did what teams that win games usually do: they ran the ball (237 yards - Auburn had more rushing yards than UGA had total yards), they stopped the run (46 yards rushing for UGA), and they won the turnover battle (1-0).

Those three things right there will win 98% of football games unless your team gets flagged for substantially more penalty yardage than the opponent.

Look, Auburn was clearly better than UGA on Saturday. Both teams made mistakes early - Auburn overcame theirs and UGA didn't.

But let's not start pushing the "Kirby was never good against X" narrative because at this point that's as ridiculous as the "UGA is number one because they beat a good Notre Dame" narrative.
    The first rule of Tidefans interactions - Selma does not use Google; Google uses Selma

what Selma said.... truth

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

BamaNation All-American Mystical's Avatar

I am with Selma. Kirby helped us win a lot of games and kept his focus for us even when he had a new job.
    WHERE EVER YOU GO, YOU TAKE YOURSELF WITH YOU

Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    But let's not start pushing the "Kirby was never good against X" narrative because at this point that's as ridiculous as the "UGA is number one because they beat a good Notre Dame" narrative.
    I've not gone back to look at the specific game numbers (yet, not sure I will), but I do recall the defenses under Kirby struggling against good spread-options teams. So far, based on his time here and at UGA and FSU, Pruitt seems to be better at shutting those defenses down. No one is perfect, they each have strengths and weaknesses, and there's zero question CKS is a fantastic defensive mind. I just think that Pruitt is better suited to face these modern option offenses - he seems to keep them on their heals more.
    To err is human, to really foul things up requires a computer.

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    The MSU game is really the only game in the last two years where you had this problem. The Smart defenses were terrible on 3rd and long the entire time he was your DC. Pruitt's blitz packages have changed that in a big way.
    The term "third and Kirby" exists for a reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    I've not gone back to look at the specific game numbers (yet, not sure I will), but I do recall the defenses under Kirby struggling against good spread-options teams. So far, based on his time here and at UGA and FSU, Pruitt seems to be better at shutting those defenses down. No one is perfect, they each have strengths and weaknesses, and there's zero question CKS is a fantastic defensive mind. I just think that Pruitt is better suited to face these modern option offenses - he seems to keep them on their heals more.
    The numbers may or may not prove it, but the perception is just as you mention.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    I literally cannot disagree with anything you said here.

(One of the problems in evaluating the very argument comes down to 'what is the definition of the spread offense' because there are different types of spread attacks. Now - maybe I'm wrong as I'm no Xs and Os genius, but how much has the base offense Malzahn is running actually changed over the years? Because if it hasn't changed much then it's difficult to say Smart ever had much trouble with AUBURN'S particular version save perhaps 2014. Not that we didn't lose some games but the hits far outweigh the misses).

There is much that can be said - credibly critical - of Smart's performance on Saturday and leading up to it. On the flip side, Smart is a second-year head coach in his first job as a head coach and hasn't fully gotten ALL of his parts in place yet via recruiting, either. Georgia made some unforced errors and undisciplined errors as well. Smart's overall essence as a coach can be evaluated in the coming years as to how he responds to what happened Saturday. Let's not forget, folks, while it hasn't happened here at Alabama, Nick Saban has been on the receiving end of his share of blowouts, too, during his earlier years as a head coach. His responses to those defeats has been to treat them as learning experiences and make changes as need be.
    The first rule of Tidefans interactions - Selma does not use Google; Google uses Selma

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    The term "third and Kirby" exists for a reason.

The numbers may or may not prove it, but the perception is just as you mention.
    And I have no qualm with this point, either.

BamaNation All-American Go Bama's Avatar

Lol, I thought from the title this was about Georgia vs. the betting line therefore I didn’t bother to open the thread.

Good discussion ... carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by JustNeedMe81 View Post
    We have?
    After both the LSU and MSU games, CNS commented that we couldn't get off the field on third down.

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tidetwin View Post
    After both the LSU and MSU games, CNS commented that we couldn't get off the field on third down.
    You had a problems in the first half against LSU, but you dominated them on 3rd down (and every other down) in the second half.

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by Go Bama View Post
    Lol, I thought from the title this was about Georgia vs. the betting line therefore I didn’t bother to open the thread.

Good discussion ... carry on.
    I thought the same when first reading title of thread, I knew he did not cover the spread in aub game LOL