Kirby Smart vs the Spread - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    BamaNation All-American bamamc1's Avatar

Re: Kirby Smart vs the Spread

Pruitt came up through the high school ranks at Hoover when all the rage was the spread. He saw it everyday at practice and most Friday nights. His plan against AU in the BCS game really impressed me. This was new territory for Coach Saban and Kirby and it showed. Lots of confusion on getting personnel groupings on and off the field and the fact that you could have lineman 8 yards down the field blocking on pass play drove everyone crazy. Rule changes concerning RPO's as well as the ability to sub when the offense did has helped as well.

I have a really close friend who is a D-coordinator in high school and he said they played a team in the first round last week that ran out of the I-formation and actually used tight ends and it was stuff his kids had never seen in their life lol.
    Last edited by bamamc1; November 14th, 2017 at 11:38 AM.

2. Advertisement

I think it would be better to say that Kirby had a hard time stopping one-a-generation quarterbacks (Tebow, Manziel) or quarterbacks who were having the games of their career against us (the OSU trifecta, Garcia, etc).

BamaNation All-American bamamc1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lowend View Post
    I think it would be better to say that Kirby had a hard time stopping one-a-generation quarterbacks (Tebow, Manziel) or quarterbacks who were having the games of their career against us (the OSU trifecta, Garcia, etc).
    You're exactly right. It usually takes one heck of a performance by a very athletic QB to beat us.

BamaNation First Team TomFromBama's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by snake plissken View Post
    LSU is a spread team now?
    Jet sweep & play-action-pass based offense with lots of motion and "Eye Candy" designed to confuse the defense. Whether its technically "spread" or not, its a style that has (at times) caused us trouble in years past.

And just FWIW, there are "spread" offenses that are not "RPO" based (at least in the sense of a running QB). "Spread" is not synonymous with "air raid" OR "Scrambling QB/RPO". I think we tend to confuse the terms - "for instance" Mike Leach has run "spread" concepts since he was an OC almost 2 decades ago, and he's seldom used "RPO"s extensively.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    "Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses..."
    Dennis of Mercia, British Statesman/Philosopher,
    (895 A.D. - ?).

BamaNation First Team PA Tide Fan's Avatar

It could be argued that for a time Alabama didn't really have the type of personnel that could deal with spread offenses very well. Coach Saban had the defense built with a lot of really big guys who could deal with the smashmouth football teams like LSU. These players were somewhat slower and couldn't keep up with the spreads. I don't think it was all Kirby's fault. Eventually Coach Saban realized that he needed somewhat smaller but quicker players to deal with the spread so he started recruiting a bit different. This is only Kirby's second season at UGA so maybe he hasn't really had enough time to get the type of players that may be needed to deal with the spread. We'll know in a couple more seasons whether or not Kirby can adjust.

Seems to me Kirby still reverts to his old tendency to sub players even when the offense doesn't and change the play at the last minute, which leads to some confusion.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

Quote Originally Posted by snake plissken View Post
    Kirby Smart's defense was never that strong against the spread while at Bama. I believe that is the reason AU was able to expose Georgia on Saturday. With Pruitt calling the plays in 2 weeks, Bama should be a lot stronger shutting down their offense.
    I agree from the past Kirby wasn't as good.But Pruitt seem to better when he was at Ga and Fla st. Hope this holds true. Agree. But the our defense is suffering from injuries. The Ga game I just thought the offensive line sucked more than defense the young Qb had a lot of pressure. First time I have saw Ga play this year though.
    This is the beginning of a new day.God has given me this day to use as I will. I can waste it or or use it for good.What I do today is very important because Im exchanging a day of my life for it.When tommorow comes,this day will be gone forever. Leaving something in its place I have traded for it. I want it to be a gain, not loss - good, not evil. Success, not failure in order that I Shall not forget the price I paid for it.