My father passed away today

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I am so sorry to hear. I have been there. I lost my dad in 1998. He was only 50. I was in my first year of architecture school (22). I miss him every single day. I have no idea if it is harder to watch someone suffer or have them die suddenly like my dad. I don't think it matters, if you love them it is hard no matter what.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
so sorry to hear it NT. My own Dad turned 80 this year and is fighting cancer for the 2nd time, halfway through chemo tomorrow actually. Going to take him to see Thor if he is up to it tomorrow night
It's a good movie. I had taken my youngest to see it Sunday when the call came that I may need to come home during the cell phone PSA at the beginning. My sister's call came through with Yea Alabama blaring because she is on my emergency list right in the middle of the whole "put your phone on silence" thing. My people have a way with timing. We went ahead with the movie since booking tickets would take time.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I am so sorry to hear. I have been there. I lost my dad in 1998. He was only 50. I was in my first year of architecture school (22). I miss him every single day. I have no idea if it is harder to watch someone suffer or have them die suddenly like my dad. I don't think it matters, if you love them it is hard no matter what.
I've told this before, but my dad passed in February, 1958, after a year of disability from a series of heart attacks. He was an ardent Bama fan and a fan of Coach Bryant and lived long enough to find out that Coach was returning to Bama. Literally the last words he said to my mother were "Alabama's going to be all right. Coach Bryant is coming back." It still gives me a case of damp eyes when I recall it...

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007
Sorry for you loss NT. My dad is 84 and I have begged him into eating with us every night. I see the end coming and am not ready for it. I will pray for you and your family.

danb

All-SEC
Dec 4, 2011
Hazel Green, AL
I’m so very sorry for your loss of your father. I pray that the Good Lord gives your family the strength to overcome the grief, and helps you and your family get through this tough time.

It’s been a little over 8 years since I lost my dad, and a little over 10 since I lost my mom. To this day, it still feels strange that they’re not around even after so long.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
So very sorry for the loss of your father, NT. Those of us who have lost our fathers feel your grief. Time will make it better but the loss is never completely healed. My sincest condolences to your mom and sister. May he rest in peace.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I’m so sorry to hear of your loss. Losing your father is especially tough. I lost mine in 2002 but 15 years later I hear his voice, advice, and wisdom everyday. I really think I’m closer to my father’s spirit now than I was when he was alive.

God bless you and your family. He certainly hit the mark in raising you.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
So sorry for your loss. I still have my father and a mom who accepted me as her own. I lost my mother over twelve years ago and the loss smudges your soul. You're just different after that. It is for certain as line of demarcation in a person's life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your dad. I really miss my dad and I've thought of a thousand things I wish I could talk to him about.
I pray you and your family will find peace and healing. I hate cancer.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
I am sorry for your loss NT. I know it is never easy to lose someone, even if it ends a long battle of suffering.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Thanks to everyone for the kind words, thoughts, and prayers.

Yesterday we celebrated my father's life and mourned his passing. The minister was a long time friend of my dad. Several old stories were told.

A common refrain was that he always worked hard, always took care of his family, and always treated others with kindness.

It was remarked several times that no one had ever heard a bad word spoken about him. No one knew of a single person he had wronged.

He had several nicknames, including Moses and Bullhead.

He was laid to rest in a crimson Alabama coach's polo shirt with a script A - just the thing he would have wanted and worn were he still alive. He also had a Bama hat (not wearing it) and a few other Bama trinkets. Red and white roses adorned the casket.

My youngest placed a pack of Doublemint gum in with him (perfect for my dad) and later remarked he wants to be a good person like his Poppa. I told him there was no better way to make his Poppa - or me - proud.

His grave lies just next to his mother. He'd like that.

He has no surviving brothers or sisters.

We miss him and mourn him, but we know he is no longer in pain and that comforts us.

I wish I could talk college football with him today.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
^^^ Haertwarming, NT. Thanks for sharing this with us. I suspect there are many here who can relate to losing a parent or two. We all have special emotions about our parents.

My Mom is 93 and still going. Living on her own - still driving. I was over to visit with her yesterday morning (she lives on mainland here) and to drop off some food I made (lentil soup, pulled pork, etc.) and pick up some food she made for me (pot roast). Primarily I was there to re-program her irrigation timer because of the time change we are only allowed to water once a week and Mom's a stickler for being compliant (God bless her!) I also put up her Gator flag while I was there (swapping out her Seahawks flag). :)

But she surprised me by giving me one of my Dad's dog tags from his days in the Navy. She is going to give the other tag to my next oldest brother. I had never even thought of where my Dad's dog tags were. Just that one gesture brought back a flood of memories.

I know you will hold your Dad's memories close to your heart and cherish them forever. It's quite a gift to have those. It really is.

All the best to you and yours going forward and thanks again for sharing with us, sir.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.