Who in your opinion is the best player on the field so far this year?

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
I'd say Harris.....

I'd also say we should consider SDH.....as I've not seen us lose a player and it have that much of an impact in a very long time.
love SDH, but it wouldn't have been quite as big of a loss had we not lost Wilson also.

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
love SDH, but it wouldn't have been quite as big of a loss had we not lost Wilson also.
A great defense is like a stack of Jenga blocks. All the blocks matter. But you can still have a stable tower if you pull out (almost) any One of the blocks.

Things start to get dicey (and increasingly so) as each successive block is removed.....

THAT is what we saw early on against Fresno and Colo.Stat after the "Blood letting" in the FRU game - and again vs. MSU after the second "purge" of the Defense in the LSux game.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
That is a great, great question. Hard to imagine with all of the flack he catches that it would be Jalen, but Jalen it is. His shoulders seem to grow more broad the tougher the situation. On defense I would say Evans is the biggest playmaker we have, but it is so obvious the loss of leadership when Hamilton goes out.

I was impressed with his calm cool demeanor last year. In a game some big lineman put him down after he threw a pass, guy laid on him and kept pushing him down long after play was over. jalen did not get upset or mad. Just waited until he got off him and went back to huddle . One of our linemen took exception and got in the guys grill. Jalen just went back to work. Any other player would have gotten mad and started a shoving match. Not jalen, the kid stays cool at all times. That is something no one can coach, but is a great asset to a QB. Kid just does not respond to pressure like most players, and that makes him a great QB.he has skills, but his best asset is his calm demeanor. You cannot rattle that guy, or at least no one has yet.

Last edited by a moderator:

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
IMO, Ridley is probably the best player, maybe Minkah, but because position and above all, transcendent intangibles, Jalen is the most important player and it's probably not close, though Calvin is a big help to Jalen.

O: Jalen, Ridley, D. Harris/Jacobs
D: Minkah, Payne, Evans (Payne is probably the most undervalued player on the team by the fans).

Changing the subject: what are Bama's plans for NT next year ? Da'Ron and Frazier will be gone. Who is in the wings or coming in ? Johnny Dwight ? Will they address it by scheme ?

peariver

1st Team
Jan 31, 2009
SW Georgia
The way I answer the question as posed is who on this team will be drafted the highest when they enter the draft. In my mind that is a close call between between Calvin and Minkah. Some of the younger players may end up as a higher draft pick but that will come from development after this season and qualifies the so far this year part of the question.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
1. Minkah
2. Jalen
3. Damien
4. Ridley

It's a heck of a note when the best WR in the country is your fourth best player on the team.
Figuring that all four may well end up being 1st round picks -- that's not too far fetched ;)

Damien deserves it -- he will be a great NFL back

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
Definitely Jalen, he has the "it" factor.

Most underappreciated player, Damien. He should be getting more touches.

Last edited:

Wilson Monroe

1st Team
Jul 19, 2016
Best player? If the question is framed in the context that we look back in a decade and consider his pro career as well I have to say Minkah. He'll play on Sunday for a long time and will be at the Pro Bowl most years.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Just to throw a wrench into things -- is this about the player who has performed the best at his position...or the player who is most valuable to the team?
That's a good point. It almost has to be categorized in order to choose.
To me, Jalen is without question our most valuable player.
The best "football player" though, at least to me is Rashaan Evans.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Got to be Scott. He forces an offense to drive the length of the field against our defense. That is still a daunting task to undertake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.