Who is the best qb of the Saban era?

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
It's not close. AJ's on the field results may never be topped if NCs is the measurement.

JH would have to stay 4 years and win 3 in a row to tie him for rings (I realize he only quarterbacked 2 of those 3 teams) but CNS was prepared to play him against Texas if GMAC would have gone down, or so we heard.

I will say that I don't think I ever enjoyed watching somebody play the position as much as I did with AJ. His performance (with the whole team) against ND in 2012 is probably the highlight of my Bama memories which go back to the mid 1970's.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
JPW was from birmingham I saw him play in HS, I still cannot figure out why we went after him. The kid had a weak arm, could not make some of the hard throws to the out guy across the field. Scrambled like a one legged dog. Sorry I saw this guy many tyimes in person, he on his best day would be 4th string now. he only started as at the time Saban had not recruited long enough to get a decent QB. Kid never once won a game for us, he lost 2 for sure for us with fumbles and sacks. Sorry I like the kid but am so glad he is no longer our QB. He cost us more games than he ever won us. Not one game did he WIN the game, he just quit losing them for us. I do not want to rag on any player, but the eyes do not lie. I am not goingto make him out to be better than he was just cause he played for Bama.
What are you talking about? JPW was a three year starter for us and played three years in the NFL. Ridiculous post.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
What are you talking about? JPW was a three year starter for us and played three years in the NFL. Ridiculous post.
His arm must have gotten stronger, if it was ever considered weak. I do remember him having poor mechanics and throwing off his back foot a lot early on when our Oline was terrible.

I was at a game when some former qbs participated in a competition a few years ago. By far, JPW's arm was the strongest of those that day. That day, his throws looked like a Freddy Kitchens fast ball.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
Based on winning championships -- AJ.

Based on performance given circumstances, etc....JH.

Based on one year coming out of nowhere -- Jake Coker.
Probably of all of these guys, Jake is my personal favorite. He traveled a hard road to get to start a national championship game. A lot of guys, good players, would have just quit when he didn't get the start his first year at Bama, but he didn't complain, hung in there, and wound up turning in great performances over his last three games in college when it meant the most. To me he is what 'heart' is all about.

jmo rtr

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
Probably of all of these guys, Jake is my personal favorite. He traveled a hard road to get to start a national championship game. A lot of guys, good players, would have just quit when he didn't get the start his first year at Bama, but he didn't complain, hung in there, and wound up turning in great performances over his last three games in college when it meant the most. To me he is what 'heart' is all about.

jmo rtr
Same thing could be said about Blake Sims honestly ... says a lot about the guys we recruited

Here's my ranking
1. AJ
2. JH
3. JC
4. BS
5. JM
6. JPW

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
Has to be AJ. Two NC's and one bad FG play from possibly playing for another? Hard to go with anyone else, just based on results.

But I am really starting to believe that Jalen could be the best by the time he is done here.

TiderMan

All-SEC
Feb 5, 2005
Moody, AL.
JPW was from birmingham I saw him play in HS, I still cannot figure out why we went after him. The kid had a weak arm, could not make some of the hard throws to the out guy across the field. Scrambled like a one legged dog. Sorry I saw this guy many tyimes in person, he on his best day would be 4th string now. he only started as at the time Saban had not recruited long enough to get a decent QB. Kid never once won a game for us, he lost 2 for sure for us with fumbles and sacks. Sorry I like the kid but am so glad he is no longer our QB. He cost us more games than he ever won us. Not one game did he WIN the game, he just quit losing them for us. I do not want to rag on any player, but the eyes do not lie. I am not goingto make him out to be better than he was just cause he played for Bama.
Probably the worst and most asinine comment that I have ever read on TideFans. Nobody on here is claiming that JPW was the best QB we have had in the Saban era but to rip into a player that gave it all and still bleeds Crimson to this day is totally uncalled for.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
You are new here, but FYI, don't dog players, former or current. That is uncalled for.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I suspect JPW bled and left more on the field for Bama than you ever did, so take it down a notch. I'm not even going to argue your asinine points, but we have several former players who post here on TF.com and we're not going to allow people to run them off with these sorts of silly posts.

I'm not going to delete this as it's the perfect example as to how we don't want people posting on TF.com.

dirkg

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 12, 2014
www.facebook.com
I’m going with
1. AJ
2. Jalen
3. GMac
4. Jake
5. Blake Sims
6. JPW
7. All other back up QBs of Saban era
8. Blake Barnett

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007

jmo rtr
Thank you, his 2nd half of season performance was terrific. His contributions to that team are very undervalued.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
It's not close. AJ's on the field results may never be topped if NCs is the measurement.

JH would have to stay 4 years and win 3 in a row to tie him for rings (I realize he only quarterbacked 2 of those 3 teams) but CNS was prepared to play him against Texas if GMAC would have gone down, or so we heard.

I will say that I don't think I ever enjoyed watching somebody play the position as much as I did with AJ. His performance (with the whole team) against ND in 2012 is probably the highlight of my Bama memories which go back to the mid 1970's.
Exactly..The rest of college football can get tired of Bama being on top all they want..The NC Game against The Irish put on display in one play what separates Bama from any one school & shows what it looks like to simply "Want It" more..

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Probably the worst and most asinine comment that I have ever read on TideFans. Nobody on here is claiming that JPW was the best QB we have had in the Saban era but to rip into a player that gave it all and still bleeds Crimson to this day is totally uncalled for.
Agree. And it is quite inaccurate. He performed very well all of 2008. He seemed to take over the team from the 2nd half of the UT game that year. The Utah game was not his fault - the OL collapsed and CJM never adjusted by rolling him out or simply moving his launch point - he had no chance. He had some great performances in 07 too: UT, LSU. He always played with great heart and was fearless.

The 07 LSU game was a great performance by the whole team - it's the greatest performance I've ever seen from a Bama team playing over its head against a massively superior opponent who was playing well. JPW was 15-40 - 250, but it was a great and gutty performance on his part. Bama came within a 4th and 4 stop with a few minutes left of winning the West with the 5th best talent. LSU was the eventual NC - Bama didn't have 3 players who could make LSU's starting 22. An epic game. It cemented the anticipation that Saban would exceed all expectations, despite the collapse at the end of the 1st half against MSU. JPW played an incredible game - he was a warrior full of "grit and pluck". He began Bama's rise from the ashes and is an important part of what Bama was becoming.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.