Who is the best qb of the Saban era? - Page 3
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 27 to 39 of 106
  1. #27
    Thread Starter

    Re: Who is the best qb of the Saban era?

    Quote Originally Posted by Padreruf View Post
    Based on winning championships -- AJ.

    Based on performance given circumstances, etc....JH.

    Based on one year coming out of nowhere -- Jake Coker.
    Probably of all of these guys, Jake is my personal favorite. He traveled a hard road to get to start a national championship game. A lot of guys, good players, would have just quit when he didn't get the start his first year at Bama, but he didn't complain, hung in there, and wound up turning in great performances over his last three games in college when it meant the most. To me he is what 'heart' is all about.

    jmo rtr

  2. Advertisement
  3. #28

    Re: Who is the best qb of the Saban era?

    Quote Originally Posted by bamamick View Post
    Probably of all of these guys, Jake is my personal favorite. He traveled a hard road to get to start a national championship game. A lot of guys, good players, would have just quit when he didn't get the start his first year at Bama, but he didn't complain, hung in there, and wound up turning in great performances over his last three games in college when it meant the most. To me he is what 'heart' is all about.

    jmo rtr
    Same thing could be said about Blake Sims honestly ... says a lot about the guys we recruited

    Here's my ranking
    1. AJ
    2. JH
    3. JC
    4. BS
    5. JM
    6. JPW

  4. #29
    BamaNation First Team
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Fort Oglethorpe, Ga
    Posts
    572

    Re: Who is the best qb of the Saban era?

    Has to be AJ. Two NC's and one bad FG play from possibly playing for another? Hard to go with anyone else, just based on results.

    But I am really starting to believe that Jalen could be the best by the time he is done here.

  5. #30
    BamaNation All-SEC TiderMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Moody, AL.
    Posts
    1,252

    Re: Who is the best qb of the Saban era?

    Quote Originally Posted by RT27 View Post
    JPW was from birmingham I saw him play in HS, I still cannot figure out why we went after him. The kid had a weak arm, could not make some of the hard throws to the out guy across the field. Scrambled like a one legged dog. Sorry I saw this guy many tyimes in person, he on his best day would be 4th string now. he only started as at the time Saban had not recruited long enough to get a decent QB. Kid never once won a game for us, he lost 2 for sure for us with fumbles and sacks. Sorry I like the kid but am so glad he is no longer our QB. He cost us more games than he ever won us. Not one game did he WIN the game, he just quit losing them for us. I do not want to rag on any player, but the eyes do not lie. I am not goingto make him out to be better than he was just cause he played for Bama.
    Probably the worst and most asinine comment that I have ever read on TideFans. Nobody on here is claiming that JPW was the best QB we have had in the Saban era but to rip into a player that gave it all and still bleeds Crimson to this day is totally uncalled for.

  6. #31
    BamaNation First Team
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Fort Oglethorpe, Ga
    Posts
    572

    Re: Who is the best qb of the Saban era?

    Quote Originally Posted by BAMAVILLE View Post
    Same thing could be said about Blake Sims honestly ... says a lot about the guys we recruited

    Here's my ranking
    1. AJ
    2. JH
    3. JC
    4. BS
    5. JM
    6. JPW
    #5 - Do you mean GMac? I would put him ahead of Sims.

  7. #32
    BamaNation Hall of Fame RammerJammer14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    UA
    Posts
    7,302

    Re: Who is the best qb of the Saban era?

    Quote Originally Posted by RT27 View Post
    JPW was from birmingham I saw him play in HS, I still cannot figure out why we went after him. The kid had a weak arm, could not make some of the hard throws to the out guy across the field. Scrambled like a one legged dog. Sorry I saw this guy many tyimes in person, he on his best day would be 4th string now. he only started as at the time Saban had not recruited long enough to get a decent QB. Kid never once won a game for us, he lost 2 for sure for us with fumbles and sacks. Sorry I like the kid but am so glad he is no longer our QB. He cost us more games than he ever won us. Not one game did he WIN the game, he just quit losing them for us. I do not want to rag on any player, but the eyes do not lie. I am not goingto make him out to be better than he was just cause he played for Bama.
    You are new here, but FYI, don't dog players, former or current. That is uncalled for.
    -Why's it us Sergeant? Why us?
    -Because we're here lad. Nobody else. Just us.

    -"I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
    -"So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

  8. #33

    Re: Who is the best qb of the Saban era?

    Quote Originally Posted by RedWave View Post
    #5 - Do you mean GMac? I would put him ahead of Sims.
    Good catch, yes I meant GMac

  9. #34
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Bamaro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Jacksonville, Md USA
    Posts
    19,412

    Re: Who is the best qb of the Saban era?

    AJ but I expect (and hope) that it changes over the next 2 years.
    11011001 11010110 11010011 11010011 01000000 11100011 11001001 11000100 11000101

  10. #35

    Re: Who is the best qb of the Saban era?

    Quote Originally Posted by RT27 View Post
    JPW was from birmingham I saw him play in HS, I still cannot figure out why we went after him. The kid had a weak arm, could not make some of the hard throws to the out guy across the field. Scrambled like a one legged dog. Sorry I saw this guy many tyimes in person, he on his best day would be 4th string now. he only started as at the time Saban had not recruited long enough to get a decent QB. Kid never once won a game for us, he lost 2 for sure for us with fumbles and sacks. Sorry I like the kid but am so glad he is no longer our QB. He cost us more games than he ever won us. Not one game did he WIN the game, he just quit losing them for us. I do not want to rag on any player, but the eyes do not lie. I am not goingto make him out to be better than he was just cause he played for Bama.
    I suspect JPW bled and left more on the field for Bama than you ever did, so take it down a notch. I'm not even going to argue your asinine points, but we have several former players who post here on TF.com and we're not going to allow people to run them off with these sorts of silly posts.

    I'm not going to delete this as it's the perfect example as to how we don't want people posting on TF.com.
    To err is human, to really foul things up requires a computer.

  11. #36

    Re: Who is the best qb of the Saban era?

    Iím going with
    1. AJ
    2. Jalen
    3. GMac
    4. Jake
    5. Blake Sims
    6. JPW
    7. All other back up QBs of Saban era
    8. Blake Barnett


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. #37
    BamaNation All-American
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,136

    Re: Who is the best qb of the Saban era?

    Quote Originally Posted by bamamick View Post
    Probably of all of these guys, Jake is my personal favorite. He traveled a hard road to get to start a national championship game. A lot of guys, good players, would have just quit when he didn't get the start his first year at Bama, but he didn't complain, hung in there, and wound up turning in great performances over his last three games in college when it meant the most. To me he is what 'heart' is all about.

    jmo rtr
    Thank you, his 2nd half of season performance was terrific. His contributions to that team are very undervalued.

  13. #38
    BamaNation Hall of Fame TideMan09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Anniston, Alabama
    Posts
    11,334

    Re: Who is the best qb of the Saban era?

    Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post
    It's not close. AJ's on the field results may never be topped if NCs is the measurement.

    JH would have to stay 4 years and win 3 in a row to tie him for rings (I realize he only quarterbacked 2 of those 3 teams) but CNS was prepared to play him against Texas if GMAC would have gone down, or so we heard.

    I will say that I don't think I ever enjoyed watching somebody play the position as much as I did with AJ. His performance (with the whole team) against ND in 2012 is probably the highlight of my Bama memories which go back to the mid 1970's.
    Exactly..The rest of college football can get tired of Bama being on top all they want..The NC Game against The Irish put on display in one play what separates Bama from any one school & shows what it looks like to simply "Want It" more..



  14. #39
    BamaNation All-American
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,136

    Re: Who is the best qb of the Saban era?

    Quote Originally Posted by TiderMan View Post
    Probably the worst and most asinine comment that I have ever read on TideFans. Nobody on here is claiming that JPW was the best QB we have had in the Saban era but to rip into a player that gave it all and still bleeds Crimson to this day is totally uncalled for.
    Agree. And it is quite inaccurate. He performed very well all of 2008. He seemed to take over the team from the 2nd half of the UT game that year. The Utah game was not his fault - the OL collapsed and CJM never adjusted by rolling him out or simply moving his launch point - he had no chance. He had some great performances in 07 too: UT, LSU. He always played with great heart and was fearless.

    The 07 LSU game was a great performance by the whole team - it's the greatest performance I've ever seen from a Bama team playing over its head against a massively superior opponent who was playing well. JPW was 15-40 - 250, but it was a great and gutty performance on his part. Bama came within a 4th and 4 stop with a few minutes left of winning the West with the 5th best talent. LSU was the eventual NC - Bama didn't have 3 players who could make LSU's starting 22. An epic game. It cemented the anticipation that Saban would exceed all expectations, despite the collapse at the end of the 1st half against MSU. JPW played an incredible game - he was a warrior full of "grit and pluck". He began Bama's rise from the ashes and is an important part of what Bama was becoming.
    Last edited by BamaInBham; November 14th, 2017 at 04:59 PM.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

 

TideFansStore.com: Get YOUR gear!