Who is the best qb of the Saban era? - Page 4
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Alasippi's Avatar

Re: Who is the best qb of the Saban era?

Of the former QB's I'd say A.J.
    I want to see how Jalen's entire Bama career pans out before including him on the list.

2. Advertisement
    Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

I'm biased but IMO AJ McCarron is the greatest QB Alabama has had to date. I say I'm biased because my 10 year old son LOVES McCarron. He's got two white #10 jersey's and a crimson one. When he and his other brothers are in the front yard playing football. He's ALWAYS "AJ McCarron" and playing quarterback.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

It would have to be AJ, but I'm going to balk at the notion that it's not even close. To give an example, as a redshirt sophomore, AJ had a rating of 147.3. Hurts as a true sophomore has a rating of 149.6. Of course AJ got better as a passer, but this isn't factoring in Hurts rushing either.

If you do that, you see McCarron's best season as a junior with a 84.9 QBR. Hurts this year has a 79.8. Yes, it is AJ, but it is fairly close... If Hurts continues to progress, he will surpass AJ.
    "Everybody that chooses to go to the game should stay there and support the team for the game." - Nick Saban
    "This is how it should be every game, every home game... the fans were just amazing". - Kevin Norwood on 2013 LSU game
    "Four, five-star recruits are in Tuscaloosa, and then they see a stadium start emptying out at halftime"

BamaNation First Team Alabama22's Avatar

AJ for now. Hurts has a shot if he continues to win.

BamaNation All-American

Level a: AJ, Jalen
    Level b: GM, JC, BS, JPW

I put Jalen on same level with AJ because of what he has done to this point. He obviously has not accomplished the same as AJ and may not, but his many responses to Bama being threatened or challenged have been unprecedented at Bama and invaluable. His intangibles are transcendent. He may rise or fall, but this is just an unpopular opinion at this point in his career . Part of this is because the game has changed just in the 4 years since AJ was here. Now more points often have to be scored no matter how good your D is. Jalen has better skill talent to work with, AJ had a better OL - he probably couldn't function with Bama's current OL and the way defenses play them. IMO, now there is more pressure on the Bama QB to perform well to win.

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    I suspect JPW bled and left more on the field for Bama than you ever did, so take it down a notch. I'm not even going to argue your asinine points, but we have several former players who post here on TF.com and we're not going to allow people to run them off with these sorts of silly posts.

I'm not going to delete this as it's the perfect example as to how we don't want people posting on TF.com.
    Sometimes I get a little upset at Greg's observations when he's calling one of our games, but I try not to vent because of this policy. We all liked his winning Saban's first Bama title, even if we still see room for improvement in his new career.

BamaNation All-American Padreruf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KrAzY3 View Post
    It would have to be AJ, but I'm going to balk at the notion that it's not even close. To give an example, as a redshirt sophomore, AJ had a rating of 147.3. Hurts as a true sophomore has a rating of 149.6. Of course AJ got better as a passer, but this isn't factoring in Hurts rushing either.

If you do that, you see McCarron's best season as a junior with a 84.9 QBR. Hurts this year has a 79.8. Yes, it is AJ, but it is fairly close... If Hurts continues to progress, he will surpass AJ.
    Also remember that at these stages AJ is at least one year older than JH. I believe JH will stay 4 years and be the standard for QB for the next decade. But that's just mho...
    "The greatest evil in the world is not 'not knowing;' it is not knowing that you do not know." Alfred North Whitehead

BamaNation All-American CHATTBRIT's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UntouchableCrew View Post
    AJ by a mile, IMO.
    Totally agree. AJ has the advantage as he played for 3 years. After Jalen's junior season may have to reassess. Jalen is so improved in his throwing this year versus last.
    Last edited by CHATTBRIT; November 14th, 2017 at 06:20 PM.
    My basset hound, Henry. 10-14-1998 - 04-09-2012
    Remembering Victor Ellis #9
    I would rather burn an American flag to protect the Constitution than burn the Constitution to protect the American flag

AJ with Jalen closing in. Jake and Blake S. were pleasant surprises. At the beginning of both those seasons, I thought, "This the best Bama has at QB?". Then as both seasons progressed, I was like, "Wow, he's pretty doggone good!".

BamaNation All-American theballguy's Avatar
    Behind is in Colorado Springs, heart in Alabama

Quote Originally Posted by RT27 View Post
    JPW was from birmingham I saw him play in HS, I still cannot figure out why we went after him. The kid had a weak arm, could not make some of the hard throws to the out guy across the field. Scrambled like a one legged dog. Sorry I saw this guy many tyimes in person, he on his best day would be 4th string now. he only started as at the time Saban had not recruited long enough to get a decent QB. Kid never once won a game for us, he lost 2 for sure for us with fumbles and sacks. Sorry I like the kid but am so glad he is no longer our QB. He cost us more games than he ever won us. Not one game did he WIN the game, he just quit losing them for us. I do not want to rag on any player, but the eyes do not lie. I am not goingto make him out to be better than he was just cause he played for Bama.
    Quote Originally Posted by RT27 View Post

"Sorry I like the kid"

"I do not want to rag on any player..."
    Eh, what???
    I know what it takes to win. If I can sell them on what it takes to win, then we are not going to lose too many football games. - Coach Paul Bryant and I can see Coach Nick Saban agreeing completely.

BamaNation All-American theballguy's Avatar
    Behind is in Colorado Springs, heart in Alabama

Quote Originally Posted by TideMan09 View Post
    Exactly..The rest of college football can get tired of Bama being on top all they want..The NC Game against The Irish put on display in one play what separates Bama from any one school & shows what it looks like to simply "Want It" more..

Man that was the most oddball thing I've ever seen but totally made sense knowing this team and CNS' influence lol.
    I know what it takes to win. If I can sell them on what it takes to win, then we are not going to lose too many football games. - Coach Paul Bryant and I can see Coach Nick Saban agreeing completely.

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

Kid never once won a game for us
    Guess you don't remember him leading a last minute drive against Arkansas in CNS's first season. I do because I stood 10 feet from a HS Senior who was there on a visit at the field level as JPW threw the winning TD pass. You may have heard of him...his name is Julio. But, yeah, I'd say JPW won that game for us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4dvvzaFyUQ

Quote Originally Posted by Padreruf View Post
    Based on winning championships -- AJ.

Based on performance given circumstances, etc....JH.

Based on one year coming out of nowhere -- Jake Coker.
    Based on being an all around swell guy -- GMac