Who is the best qb of the Saban era? - Page 5
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    BamaNation Second Team TraskiTideFan's Avatar

Re: Who is the best qb of the Saban era?

AJ is tops of the current group because he was a 3 year starter with 2 NC on top of that.

But Jake Coker during the 2015 season was probably the most fun to watch when the light kicked on in the 2nd half of the Ol'Miss game. The man played practically the whole season with a broken toe with a screw in it and still figured out a way to scramble and plant to throw the long ball throughout that season.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American rolltide_21's Avatar

AJ
    Jalen
    Gmac
    Coker
    Sims
    JPW

Best deep ball? Blake Sims

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar

AJ McCarron, and it isn't even close.
    The first rule of Tidefans interactions - Selma does not use Google; Google uses Selma

BamaNation All-American CaliforniaTide's Avatar

My standard is what did the QB do while at Alabama. Thus, it is AJ McCarron. Jalen is definitely on track to be considered the best in the Saban era or even ever in Alabama history. I would even say Jalen would be the best if he won only 1 title but added in a Heisman trophy.

If I had to rank them:

1) AJ McCarron
    2) Jake Coker
    3) Greg McElroy
    4) Jalen Hurts
    5) Blake Sims
    6) John Parker Wilson
    Last edited by CaliforniaTide; November 15th, 2017 at 09:08 AM. Reason: Added rankings
    It's the edge of the world
    And all of Western civilization
    The sun may rise in the East
    At least it settles in its final location
    It's understood that Hollywood
    Sells Californication - Red Hot Chili Peppers in Californication

Look at that dude go all Dareus on that colt...

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by theballguy View Post
    Eh, what???
    My point was I let the facts speak, I did not want to give him any credit for just being a bama player. I feel the facts bear out my assessment of him. I was not ragging on him as a person just as a player. I like to be honest not look through crimson glasses. If you go back and watch his play he was by far the worst Saban had so far. He was a servicable QB but is not even close compared to the others.

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideMan09's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by theballguy View Post
    Man that was the most oddball thing I've ever seen but totally made sense knowing this team and CNS' influence lol.
    Yup..Even though the game was already won..It did my Crimson Tide beating heart good watching AJ playing with the intensity, like the game was tied up or we were losing, same goes for Barret Jones & how upset Coach Saban got cause he didn't get the timeout called..

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

Should we even include Jalen at this point seeing that he's still playing? His story is still being written. Right now, among former players (QB's), AJ McCarron in my opinion is the best QB under Saban.

Side discussion- Does winning a NC factor into where someone ranks on this list? What if Jalen sets statistical records but never wins a NC? Does this impact your ranking of him?
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by lowend View Post
    Based on being an all around swell guy -- GMac
    Based on hairstyle - Jalen

Based on tattoo volume - AJ

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    Should we even include Jalen at this point seeing that he's still playing? His story is still being written. Right now, among former players (QB's), AJ McCarron in my opinion is the best QB under Saban.

Side discussion- Does winning a NC factor into where someone ranks on this list? What if Jalen sets statistical records but never wins a NC? Does this impact your ranking of him?
    It impacts mine, at least in Saban era. We should be in Playoff every yr as we have been, we have the talent. The fact as true freshman Jalen got us within 1 play from NC means a lot to me. He did his job.Had defense made one or 2 plays that last drive we would have won that game last yr. They just made a few plays we did not, they deserved the title. But for a true freshman to do what he did speaks volumes, and his play this yr has just shown it more. Right now AJ has the games and titles, but watch out as Jalen is working towards it. His play last yr and this yr makes him #2 in my eyes, but #1 could be gotten if he keeps this play up.

IMO, AJ holds the crown but Jalen is right behind him. Man, we've had some incredible guys behind center during the new Golden Age of Bama Football! Blake and Jake waiting their turn and giving their all, JPW, and GMac are all great Bama qb's to me. I think it speaks volumes about how committed Coach Saban is to players' technical and character development.

BamaNation First Team

I think the next few gamnes is the one time we will NEED our QB at his best. For a few years we have had such solid play that the QB was not as important as it is right now. We need Jalen and offense to carry us a bit right now. Wih all the defensive injuries I see us giving up more yards and points than we normally have recently. The great thing is we have some major offensive weapons. Add to that jalen has to be the most calm QB out there right now. His ability to focus on the task at hand is his best weapon. And let us be honest kid has a arm and great legs. BUT his ability to stay calm and collected is his best weapon. Nothing seems to rattle this guy. Right now I feel he is our best chance to move forward. he needs all his weapons to step up also. As far as defense they just need to play as best they can and hold AU andUGA to 20-28 points and I feel jalen and company will get us what we need to keep winning. Now is the time to get that 40 plus point offense fired up. They need to control the ball and score, take pressure off the beat up D.

As others have said, AJ for now. And it's not close.

Until Jalen wins 3 NCs, he's 2nd behind AJ. But a VERY close second. If he wins 2 NCs, it'll be...

1a) AJ
    1b) Jalen

The scary thing is... Tua may pass 'em both...