Who is the best qb of the Saban era?

Crimson White

1st Team
Jun 17, 2014
AJ is easily the best QB under Saban at this point... but Jalen and Tua look to have the talent to push him..
Yes, I do know that Tagovailoa has only come in when the games were in hand, and I know this is a topic of contention, but he looks to be at least as good all around as any qb in the conference. I don't think he'll sit 3 years to play 1, but who knows. These comments after he committed don't make me feel all warm and fuzzy, situation being such as it is............

“It gets me excited that Coach Saban does stick with his claim that the best will play in every situation,” Tagovailoa said...

“In a year, in a perfect world I still believe I’ll be at Alabama if everything works out the right way.”

http://usatodayhss.com/2016/tua-tag...ocus-after-us-army-all-american-bowl-ceremony

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Amen to that, and we'd probably have had a legitimate and effective downfield game. I also think we'd have won the Clemson game because I think McCarron would have been good for more than 2 series of more than 5 plays, saving the defense from having to be on the field for 99 plays against a good offense.

I also think we could have scored more than 3 points from the 2 turnovers the defense forced on Clemson's side of the field. I saw enough roll out and throw out of bounds passes in that game to last me a lifetime. But he was a true freshman last year and he played well most of the season considering he was a high school student a few months before. I think the hype in the off season about how much he had improved did him no favors.
To be fair I only brought that scenario up because it's so ridiculous to play what-if games.

I absolutely LOVE Jalen Hurts as our QB. I've supported and defended him all year. I can see immense improvements in his passing game this year over last year even though it's not showing up on the stats sheet. He's passing the eyeball test bigtime now.

There have been a bunch of HUGE drops by WR's this year and our Offensive play-calling and route tree designs along with poor OL pass protection have ALL hindered his statistical production.

I'm not trying to talk out both sides of my mouth. I'm just saying Jalen continues to get better every game. After a 3 or 4 year career he may very well pass AJ in a lot of categories and hopefully match his NC ring count. It's easily possible.

But RIGHT NOW....at this snapshot in time AJ is the BEST QB we have EVER had (not just under CNS) and RIGHT NOW it's not even remotely close.

This is an asinine topic at this point in the season anyway imho. This is Feb-March and/or May-July type thread discussion.

Last edited:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
We can play these what-if's all day. But AJ actually WAS the Heisman runner-up behind the 2013 line. He also had 2 VERY conservative and unimaginative OC's he played for and still shattered the Alabama record books PASSING.

He would have PILED up ridiculous stats under Kiffin. I could also just as easily say.... put McCarron on last year's team and we win the National Championship in a BLOWOUT. He would have shredded Clemson in 2015 or 2016.

Put him on this year's team and he'd have a lot more passing yards and TD's than we currently have because of his ability to read defenses, call audibles, and make quick throws consistently..... and because he knew how to walk a fine line between Gunslinger and Game Manager.

This thread (I thought) was about who's the best QUARTERBACK not the best Athlete. Any answer other than AJ is just flat wrong at this point in time.

Some folks are just STILL salty because AJ made a few post career comments that he probably shouldn't have. But it doesn't change the fact that he has 3 NC rings....2 as a starter....and almost had a shot a 3 in a row and 4 overall. He owns all the career passing categories....and again that's under 2 restrictive OC's.
When talking about talent, too many times we simply look at the physical and completely ignore the mental talent of a player. The ability to process information at a rapid speed and make the right decision. The ability to look at a defense pre-snap and to already know where the ball needs to go or the ability to get out of a "bad" play and into a "better" play. AJ was excellent at doing these things. I love Jalen Hurts to death, and he has definitely improved his passing skills from last year. But currently he's not even in the same league as McCarron when talking about the ability to read defenses, make adjustments pre snap, throwing wr's open (which I used to love McCarron to Norwood on this) and having a superior command of directing the offense.

I agree, if McCarron would have been QB in the 2015 and/or 2016 games against Clemson. They both would have been blowouts.

Last edited:

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
I love both of the top two guys being discussed. But comparing them is apples to oranges. Would AJ have been more effective passing in some of those games where Jalen wasn't? Almost certainly. But would AJ have been able to save plays, drives, and sometimes games with his legs the way Jalen has? Almost certainly not. Both are great to me. They are just too different about how they get it done.

On a similar note, AJ was a bit fiery at times, such as the little spat with Barrett Jones during the NC game versus the Dome. Jalen seems to never have his demeanor change, regardless of anything else happening around him. I think both are right, for those particular individuals.

Let's wait until Jalen's time here is over, then compare achievements, and by that I mean the only ones that matter. Rings, wins, losses. Until then, this is just wasted thought.

Roll Tide!

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
I love both of the top two guys being discussed. But comparing them is apples to oranges. Would AJ have been more effective passing in some of those games where Jalen wasn't? Almost certainly. But would AJ have been able to save plays, drives, and sometimes games with his legs the way Jalen has? Almost certainly not. Both are great to me. They are just too different about how they get it done.
I totally agree, Jalen started as true frehman and has been on an amazing learning curve. AJ was great but he had a full yr to learn the gameplans before stepping on the field. Apples and Oranges, not to mention different players around him, different coordinators etc. Right now I think Jalen is on a track to match AJ in wins and titles, maybe exceed them. Jalen got us to the championship game and a few plays from title as true freshman. Remember he put us up with hardly any time left, that loss falls fully on wore out defense and Clemsons QB being dang good. They are not anything alike in play or demeanor. Both dang good, and as said above, when Jalen is done we can compare it better. Jalen is not done yet, lets hope he has a few NC rings of his own when he is done.

Last edited by a moderator:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
When talking about talent, too many times we simply look at the physical and completely ignore the mental talent of a player. The ability to process information at a rapid speed and make the right decision. The ability to look at a defense pre-snap and to already know where the ball needs to go or the ability to get out of a "bad" play and into a "better" play. AJ was excellent at doing these things. I love Jalen Hurts to death, and he has definitely improved his passing skills from last year. But currently he's not even in the same league as McCarron when talking about the ability to read defenses, make adjustments pre snap, throwing wr's open (which I used to love McCarron to Norwood on this) and having a superior command of directing the offense.

I agree, if McCarron would have been QB in the 2015 and/or 2016 games against Clemson. They both would have been blowouts.
Love it! I think if someone gives him an opportunity that mental aspect will show up. Wish the Bengals would play him or trade him.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
The best QB at Alabama?......................... Simple, the one who is playing NOW. It is always that way, Nick puts the best he has on the field. Comparing the latest with [revious is hard to do, not the same teams or the same staffs or same opponents. To many factors change week to week, year to year. Just happy we have what we have, it seems to me since 2008 we do dang good whoever is playing. As long as we are in contention for SEC andf NC I do not care if Big Al is QB, Nick will get him playing to Bama standard LOL

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I totally agree, Jalen started as true frehman and has been on an amazing learning curve. AJ was great but he had a full yr to learn the gameplans before stepping on the field. Apples and Oranges, not to mention different players around him, different coordinators etc. Right now I think Jalen is on a track to match AJ in wins and titles, maybe exceed them. Jalen got us to the championship game and a few plays from title as true freshman. Remember he put us up with hardly any time left, that loss falls fully on wore out defense and Clemsons QB being dang good. They are not anything alike in play or demeanor. Both dang good, and as said above, when Jalen is done we can compare it better. Jalen is not done yet, lets hope he has a few NC rings of his own when he is done.
I get the you apparently are a huge JH fan (and I am too). He's made remarkable strides.

But you do realize AJ has 3 NC rings. JH CAN'T pass him in this regard. And to tie him he'd need to win the title 3 straight years. I'll give you this, if he does that I'd be first in line to put him at the top of the all time Bama QB list, especially since that would make him 1 play short of winning 4 in a row and coupled with the fact AJ only started for 2 of the 3 he owns.

But, right now, it would be crazy to believe he could do that no matter how good we might be in the next couple of years.

So, there's no way to say JH is the best over AJ until he finishes his career and then we can talk about it.

It's AJ miles in front of whoever is #2 right now.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
I get the you apparently are a huge JH fan (and I am too). He's made remarkable strides.

But you do realize AJ has 3 NC rings. JH CAN'T pass him in this regard. And to tie him he'd need to win the title 3 straight years. I'll give you this, if he does that I'd be first in line to put him at the top of the all time Bama QB list, especially since that would make him 1 play short of winning 4 in a row and coupled with the fact AJ only started for 2 of the 3 he owns.

But, right now, it would be crazy to believe he could do that no matter how good we might be in the next couple of years.

So, there's no way to say JH is the best over AJ until he finishes his career and then we can talk about it.

It's AJ miles in front of whoever is #2 right now.
Don’t see JH winning the NC 3 straight years. If he wins it 2 straight chances are strong that he is gone after that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
To be fair I only brought that scenario up because it's so ridiculous to play what-if games.

I absolutely LOVE Jalen Hurts as our QB. I've supported and defended him all year. I can see immense improvements in his passing game this year over last year even though it's not showing up on the stats sheet. He's passing the eyeball test bigtime now.

There have been a bunch of HUGE drops by WR's this year and our Offensive play-calling and route tree designs along with poor OL pass protection have ALL hindered his statistical production.

I'm not trying to talk out both sides of my mouth. I'm just saying Jalen continues to get better every game. After a 3 or 4 year career he may very well pass AJ in a lot of categories and hopefully match his NC ring count. It's easily possible.

But RIGHT NOW....at this snapshot in time AJ is the BEST QB we have EVER had (not just under CNS) and RIGHT NOW it's not even remotely close.

This is an asinine topic at this point in the season anyway imho. This is Feb-March and/or May-July type thread discussion.
Joe Willie Namath
Kenny Stabler

Both starting NFL Quarterbacks who won Super Bowls and are both in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.
At Bama Namath also won a national title and Stabler Quarterbacked the undefeated missing ring team.
Both had stronger arms than A.J.. Both were more athletic.
A.J. was an outstanding quarterback and leader but he's not the best nor most talented Bama's ever had in my opinion.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Joe Willie Namath
Kenny Stabler

Both starting NFL Quarterbacks who won Super Bowls and are both in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.
At Bama Namath also won a national title and Stabler Quarterbacked the undefeated missing ring team.
Both had stronger arms than A.J.. Both were more athletic.
A.J. was an outstanding quarterback and leader but he's not the best nor most talented Bama's ever had in my opinion.
I am cool with your opinion, but NFL stats and accomplishments have nothing to do with Alabama stats and accomplishments. As an Alabama QB, AJ has done more than any other QB, and it's not close.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
Namath and Stabler while great were not in SABAN ERA as original question asked.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
AJ and it's not even close for the moment...We'll see in 2 years if the answer will be different.
Back to back NC's and 1 game from a third, no bama QB ever in our history did that so AJ by far is the best EVER at bama, but agin original questions was in SABAN ERA so that limits it to JPW, G MAC,Blake AJ , COKER,or JALEN

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I would have to vote for A.J.
He was a winner, a leader, and was willing to do whatever it took to win.

BTW: While at Bama, AJs girlfriend wasn't bad either. ;)
A lot of fun was poked at a certain announcer, but he was right... :)

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
I am cool with your opinion, but NFL stats and accomplishments have nothing to do with Alabama stats and accomplishments. As an Alabama QB, AJ has done more than any other QB, and it's not close.
AJ may have done more but he is not "the best QB we [Bama] have ever had".

Namath did not have great numbers but the rules were different then. He was a first round NFL pick and No.1 AFL pick for a reason.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
AJ may have done more but he is not "the best QB we [Bama] have ever had".

Namath did not have great numbers but the rules were different then. He was a first round NFL pick and No.1 AFL pick for a reason.
Again, the NFL has nothing to do with this. Examples are all over the place - countless. College QB talent does not always translate to NFL talent, or even being drafted by the NFL.

When trying to decide who Alabama's best QB is/was, the only fair way to do it is based only on what they did at Alabama. Who has accomplished more that AJ at Alabama?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.