Who is the best qb of the Saban era?

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Again, the NFL has nothing to do with this. Examples are all over the place - countless. College QB talent does not always translate to NFL talent, or even being drafted by the NFL.

When trying to decide who Alabama's best QB is/was, the only fair way to do it is based only on what they did at Alabama. Who has accomplished more that AJ at Alabama?
No one!!! Can we go on to another subject?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
AJ didn’t have to navigate the playoff. Not saying he couldn’t but it makes something that is hard to achieve even harder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2012 was kinda like the playoffs. GA in the SECCG - that game was insane.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)

When trying to decide who Alabama's best QB is/was, the only fair way to do it is based only on what they did at Alabama. Who has accomplished more that AJ at Alabama?
Not by my rules; it is not a simple math equation. If I had to pick between Namath or McCarron as seniors to quarterback my team, I would pick Namath.

twflys

Suspended
Dec 31, 2016
Honestly, Alabama has NEVER had a truly spectacular quarterback in 20+ years. It's been the rest of the team that has made Alabama so awesome. We have never had a top 20 quarterback.. ever.

We have never had a Manziel, Newton, Mariota, Leinhart, Bradford..

But, we have one now...

TUA

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
The poster said A.J. was Bama's best ever including, not just in the saban era...I simply addressed that sentence.
My bad I missed that. I still say with BACAK TO BACK titles and almost a 3rd he has to be ONE of , if not the best ever.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
Honestly, Alabama has NEVER had a truly spectacular quarterback in 20+ years. It's been the rest of the team that has made Alabama so awesome. We have never had a top 20 quarterback.. ever.

We have never had a Manziel, Newton, Mariota, Leinhart, Bradford..

But, we have one now...

TUA
SMH...

Just...seriously?

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
SMH...

Just...seriously?
No way this an Alabama fan.... I mean....

AJ McCarron Individual Awards/Accolades Nationally:

2013 Heisman Runner-Up

2013 Maxwell Award Winner (Best All Around Player in the Country)....psss...Newton and Mariota won this award while Manziel, Leinhart and Bradford didn't.

2013 Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Winner (Most Outstanding Junior/Senior QB)....psss Mariota and Leinert won.....Bradford and Newton were both eligible and didn't. Manziel didn't meet qualifications.

2012 CFPA Quarterback Trophy

2013 1st-Team All-American
(AFCA, WCFF)
2013 3rd-Team All-American (AP)
2012 3rd-Team All-American (AP)

Oh and in 2012:
He led the entire NCAA in Adjusted Passing Yards per Att (10.8 ADYPA)
He led the entire NCAA in Passer Efficiency Rating (175.3)

But nah bruh that's nothing spectacular or anything right?

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
JPW was from birmingham I saw him play in HS, I still cannot figure out why we went after him. The kid had a weak arm, could not make some of the hard throws to the out guy across the field. Scrambled like a one legged dog. Sorry I saw this guy many tyimes in person, he on his best day would be 4th string now. he only started as at the time Saban had not recruited long enough to get a decent QB. Kid never once won a game for us, he lost 2 for sure for us with fumbles and sacks. Sorry I like the kid but am so glad he is no longer our QB. He cost us more games than he ever won us. Not one game did he WIN the game, he just quit losing them for us. I do not want to rag on any player, but the eyes do not lie. I am not goingto make him out to be better than he was just cause he played for Bama.

So I assuming you will not be getting the Wilson Family Christmas card.

Wilson would be hard press to even get an offer at Alabama if he was coming into college today but he was a tough son of a biscuit-eater who never missed a snap as a starter despite playing behind a mediocre to poor OL most of his career. Greg McElroy is basically the same type of quarterback as John Parker Wilson but McElroy was blessed to lead that '08 class in their Sophomore and Junior seasons.

marcusroby

1st Team
Jan 7, 2004
auburn,al usa
What has really impressed me is the leadership and growth that Jalen has displayed early. McCarran has to be #1 now lets see how Jalen finishes.

AJ had the advantage of sitting a year and learning Jalen did not but has improved as a passer by leaps and bounds.

Overthrows early in the season mixed with blowouts and drops as of late have hurt his numbers.

Jalen won't have AJ type passing numbers but I believe as a leader of men and skill to beat you in multiple ways Jalen will be #1 when he finishes up.

M2J

All-American
Jan 28, 2007
WHEN Jalen wins it all, we can discuss it between he and AJ.

For now it's AJ for sure

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.