Who is the best qb of the Saban era?

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
JPW, GMac, AJ, Blake, Jake, Jalen?

Or is it Blake Barnett?

How would you rank them? I am not sure I even could. It certainly wouldn't be fair to JPW since so much of a ranking depends upon the guys you are playing with. The fact that John Parker hung around the NFL for a couple of years tells me that he was probably better than we give him credit for, whereas Jacob, who had far better numbers than JPW, didn't make it past camp with the Cardinals. Blake has been with teams from Canada to Australia and has been given a shot at running back with more than one NFL team but couldn't ever stick with anyone.

But we are just talking about college, and if you are just talking about college I guess I have to give it to AJ, whose TD to interception ration and total yardage and touchdowns were unprecedented at the time. But AJ is the winner I would put Jalen just behind him, because Jalen is doing this with Jalen as the primary offensive weapon. That's not been the case before during the Saban era.

So what do you think?

rtr

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
AJ so far, he did more than any other, but who knows what the others could have done starting 3 years. I say Jalen may equal him in wins and NC's before it is over. As of today it is hard to put anyone above AJ and his record.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
As I said above AJ, but the best job this Saban staff ever did was John Parker Wilson. They let him do just enough to win a lot, and lets be honest, he was not that talented. he hung around the NFL for a while but did nothing on the field to write home about. Before Nick JPW stunk it up bad. I like the kid but he had very little talent. he was a servicable QB but his arm was weak and he was not much of a scrambler. YET he won a lot of games his last yr all because of oaching and play calling that hid his weak spots.

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
As I said above AJ, but the best job this Saban staff ever did was John Parker Wilson. They let him do just enough to win a lot, and lets be honest, he was not that talented. he hung around the NFL for a while but did nothing on the field to write home about. Before Nick JPW stunk it up bad. I like the kid but he had very little talent. he was a servicable QB but his arm was weak and he was not much of a scrambler. YET he won a lot of games his last yr all because of oaching and play calling that hid his weak spots.
JPW is one of many Alabama QB's of the past 30 years who might have been something very special but for the coaching the suffered. John Parker DID have great coaching his last two years at UA, but lets don't forget he also went through THREE OC's - Rader and Applewhite (Neither of whom were very good) then Coach Mac. Imagine if he had been under Coach Mac for 4 years????

As for AJ, he's still #1 in my book, though I'd concede that Jalen may well surpass him. But to my thinking, AJ was a big part - a HUGE part - of Two SPECTACULAR NC Routes, and almost certainly would have won a Third but for the poor quality of the OL (and poor OL play at aub) in 2013.

But you could just as easily argue that Jalen leads us to a NC Win as a True Freshman "but for" Lame Kitten screwing us over last year......

FWIW, I think we are ALL pulling for Jalen to finish his career at UA with a record of 44-1, and maybe even a Hypeman Trophy. :)

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
JPW was from birmingham I saw him play in HS, I still cannot figure out why we went after him. The kid had a weak arm, could not make some of the hard throws to the out guy across the field. Scrambled like a one legged dog. Sorry I saw this guy many tyimes in person, he on his best day would be 4th string now. he only started as at the time Saban had not recruited long enough to get a decent QB. Kid never once won a game for us, he lost 2 for sure for us with fumbles and sacks. Sorry I like the kid but am so glad he is no longer our QB. He cost us more games than he ever won us. Not one game did he WIN the game, he just quit losing them for us. I do not want to rag on any player, but the eyes do not lie. I am not goingto make him out to be better than he was just cause he played for Bama.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
JPW was from birmingham I saw him play in HS, I still cannot figure out why we went after him. The kid had a weak arm, could not make some of the hard throws to the out guy across the field. Scrambled like a one legged dog. Sorry I saw this guy many tyimes in person, he on his best day would be 4th string now. he only started as at the time Saban had not recruited long enough to get a decent QB. Kid never once won a game for us, he lost 2 for sure for us with fumbles and sacks. Sorry I like the kid but am so glad he is no longer our QB. He cost us more games than he ever won us. Not one game did he WIN the game, he just quit losing them for us. I do not want to rag on any player, but the eyes do not lie. I am not goingto make him out to be better than he was just cause he played for Bama.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
I gotta go with AJ. You win back to back titles and was in the running for a three peat, that is pretty hard to beat. With that being said, I hope Jalen Hurts surpasses him.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
AJ was one of the best QBs in college anywhere, much less at Alabama, in the last 10 years. But if AJ were swapped with Jalen, the 2013 team goes undefeated. That is to say, AJ was great but needed a great O-line. Jalen is a different kind of great because he can make things happen all by himself.

Imagine Jalen behind the 2011-2012 o-lines? :eek2:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.