Who is the best qb of the Saban era?

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
Should we even include Jalen at this point seeing that he's still playing? His story is still being written. Right now, among former players (QB's), AJ McCarron in my opinion is the best QB under Saban.

Side discussion- Does winning a NC factor into where someone ranks on this list? What if Jalen sets statistical records but never wins a NC? Does this impact your ranking of him?
It impacts mine, at least in Saban era. We should be in Playoff every yr as we have been, we have the talent. The fact as true freshman Jalen got us within 1 play from NC means a lot to me. He did his job.Had defense made one or 2 plays that last drive we would have won that game last yr. They just made a few plays we did not, they deserved the title. But for a true freshman to do what he did speaks volumes, and his play this yr has just shown it more. Right now AJ has the games and titles, but watch out as Jalen is working towards it. His play last yr and this yr makes him #2 in my eyes, but #1 could be gotten if he keeps this play up.

FF4bama

1st Team
Sep 13, 2012
IMO, AJ holds the crown but Jalen is right behind him. Man, we've had some incredible guys behind center during the new Golden Age of Bama Football! Blake and Jake waiting their turn and giving their all, JPW, and GMac are all great Bama qb's to me. I think it speaks volumes about how committed Coach Saban is to players' technical and character development.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
I think the next few gamnes is the one time we will NEED our QB at his best. For a few years we have had such solid play that the QB was not as important as it is right now. We need Jalen and offense to carry us a bit right now. Wih all the defensive injuries I see us giving up more yards and points than we normally have recently. The great thing is we have some major offensive weapons. Add to that jalen has to be the most calm QB out there right now. His ability to focus on the task at hand is his best weapon. And let us be honest kid has a arm and great legs. BUT his ability to stay calm and collected is his best weapon. Nothing seems to rattle this guy. Right now I feel he is our best chance to move forward. he needs all his weapons to step up also. As far as defense they just need to play as best they can and hold AU andUGA to 20-28 points and I feel jalen and company will get us what we need to keep winning. Now is the time to get that 40 plus point offense fired up. They need to control the ball and score, take pressure off the beat up D.

GHoppr

Suspended
Oct 18, 2017
Madison, AL.
Until Jalen wins 3 NCs, he's 2nd behind AJ. But a VERY close second. If he wins 2 NCs, it'll be...

1a) AJ
1b) Jalen

The scary thing is... Tua may pass 'em both...

bamaslaw

All-SEC
Jan 16, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Kid never once won a game for us, he lost 2 for sure for us with fumbles and sacks.
Not one game did he WIN the game, he just quit losing them for us.
2007 vs #21 Tennessee
32/46 for 363 yards, 3 TDs 0 INTs

Your point that the QBs we've had since are better is one I agree with, but I can't see a reason to go out of the way to talk like that about a former player.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Honestly I think Jalen, Blake,and Jake are probably the most talented. AJ is the most accomplished. So I think Jalen is probably the best.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
My point was I let the facts speak, I did not want to give him any credit for just being a bama player. I feel the facts bear out my assessment of him. I was not ragging on him as a person just as a player. I like to be honest not look through crimson glasses. If you go back and watch his play he was by far the worst Saban had so far. He was a servicable QB but is not even close compared to the others.
Surprised you would defend your post after so many of us found it asinine. The OP did not ask "who is the worst QB in the Saban era" so not really sure why you took it in the direction you took it. The fact is JPW took us to a 12-0 reg season record and near SEC championship if we were not Tebowed in the 4th qtr at a very bad time in Alabama football history. You can be honest and not look through crimson glasses but your assessment and criticism is wrong.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Honestly I think Jalen, Blake,and Jake are probably the most talented. AJ is the most accomplished. So I think Jalen is probably the best.
You serious Clark?

AJ was Drafted and is a Legitimate NFL Backup that teams have tried to work out trades for to be their Starter. Two of the guys you listed weren't drafted and aren't even on a roster. I'm not going to make a comment on a current player still developing.

AJ is the most accomplished QB AND the most talented....and it's not even remotely close.

How is this even a topic right now? It's not even the off-season yet.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
You serious Clark?

AJ was Drafted and is a Legitimate NFL Backup that teams have tried to work out trades for to be their Starter. Two of the guys you listed weren't drafted and aren't even on a roster. I'm not going to make a comment on a current player still developing.

AJ is the most accomplished QB AND the most talented....and it's not even remotely close.

How is this even a topic right now? It's not even the off-season yet.
Athletic talent is different from who is the better qb . Coker and Sims had a lot more arm strength and mobility than AJ and it isn’t debatable. Jalen is clearly more TALENTED than AJ. Put it this way “who is more talented as an athlete ? Brady or Cam ?” It’s obvious Cam is, but change the question “ who is better at qb? Brady or Cam?” It is obvious that is Brady.

So yes I’m serious Clark. ;)

Crimson White

1st Team
Jun 17, 2014
Jalen is a more mobile qb, but McCarron was better in about every other facet. He could read the defense before and after the snap, he was better checking down to secondary receivers, he had better touch on the ball and he was more consistently accurate.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Jalen is a more mobile qb, but McCarron was better in about every other facet. He could read the defense before and after the snap, he was better checking down to secondary receivers, he had better touch on the ball and he was more consistently accurate.
And he had the advantage of playing behind possibly the best offensive line in the history of college football.
Give Jalen that O-Line and let's see who's more "Talented"

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
And he had the advantage of playing behind possibly the best offensive line in the history of college football.
Give Jalen that O-Line and let's see who's more "Talented"
Can you imagine Hurts behind that 2012 OL?

Goodness!

He would have won the Heisman last year and would be the leading candidate this year. Not joking.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
We can play these what-if's all day. But AJ actually WAS the Heisman runner-up behind the 2013 line. He also had 2 VERY conservative and unimaginative OC's he played for and still shattered the Alabama record books PASSING.

He would have PILED up ridiculous stats under Kiffin. I could also just as easily say.... put McCarron on last year's team and we win the National Championship in a BLOWOUT. He would have shredded Clemson in 2015 or 2016.

Put him on this year's team and he'd have a lot more passing yards and TD's than we currently have because of his ability to read defenses, call audibles, and make quick throws consistently..... and because he knew how to walk a fine line between Gunslinger and Game Manager.

This thread (I thought) was about who's the best QUARTERBACK not the best Athlete. Any answer other than AJ is just flat wrong at this point in time.

Some folks are just STILL salty because AJ made a few post career comments that he probably shouldn't have. But it doesn't change the fact that he has 3 NC rings....2 as a starter....and almost had a shot a 3 in a row and 4 overall. He owns all the career passing categories....and again that's under 2 restrictive OC's.

Crimson White

1st Team
Jun 17, 2014
We can play these what-if's all day. But AJ actually WAS the Heisman runner-up behind the 2013 line. He also had 2 VERY conservative and unimaginative OC's he played for and still shattered the Alabama record books PASSING.

He would have PILED up ridiculous stats under Kiffin. I could also just as easily say.... put McCarron on last year's team and we win the National Championship
Amen to that, and we'd probably have had a legitimate and effective downfield game. I also think we'd have won the Clemson game because I think McCarron would have been good for more than 2 series of more than 5 plays, saving the defense from having to be on the field for 99 plays against a good offense. I also think we could have scored more than 3 points from the 2 turnovers the defense forced on Clemson's side of the field. I saw enough roll out and throw out of bounds passes in that game to last me a lifetime. But he was a true freshman last year and he played well most of the season considering he was a high school student a few months before. I think the hype in the off season about how much he had improved did him no favors.

Last edited:

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
AJ is easily the best QB under Saban at this point but I'm not sure how much longer he will hold that title. Depends on how long Saban coaches but Jalen and Tua look to have the talent to push him. Not to mention the young talent we have at the skill positions on offense right now is absurd. I've said this before but with the talent we have at WR we could be about to see an offensive explosion in a year or 2 that we haven't seen under Saban.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.