Rumor: Chip Kelly will be new HC at Florida (Update: Going to UCLA)

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
Re: Rumor: Chip Kelly will be new HC at Florida

I'm not going to link the page from bleeding green nation due to language, but if you want, google "Chip Kelly Was Not Who We Thought He Was"

Here are some parting thought when CCK left the Eagles.

The fact of the matter is, we were fooled by a false prophet, hoodwinked by the promise of a revolution. Chip Kelly swashbuckled into town with an earned reputation for being aggressive and ballsy, for pushing the limits and demanding a breakneck, exciting brand of football.
Throughout everything, Chip never even tried to adjust, never even tried to change, never even tried to so much as tweak his philosophies. This was a guy who was supposed to have a system that maximized the talents of his players, that conformed to their skill sets and exhibited flexibility. Instead, Kelly cloaked his rigidity and tyrannical nature in a Jim Jonesian devotion to "culture" that proved to be nothing more than empty lip service
So, in the end, what did I learn from Chip, aside from the reinforcement of substance over style? Uh, I guess that it's OK to be an unfeeling, socially maladjusted drone who treats people -- players and organization employees alike -- like _ as long as you're winning. Although once you start losing, it all goes to hell fast and there's no leash.
Chip thinks he the smartest guy in football and has the ego that goes with that. His character traits will come to the surface and the folks in Gainesville will be looking to dump him in three years.

bamaslaw

All-SEC
Jan 16, 2005
Atlanta, GA

Chip thinks he the smartest guy in football and has the ego that goes with that. His character traits will come to the surface and the folks in Gainesville will be looking to dump him in three years.
So - I'd argue everything they quoted works, and works very well in college. The comments aren't very different to outside perception of Coach Saban - if you don't think so, talk to someone from South Florida about Nick Saban.

Talent acquisition is just so different in the NFL than college it really can't be compared, and "system" guys don't really work. In college, you can focus on a group of guys that fit EXACTLY what you want to do, and you can bring in 25 of them every year. In the NFL, you get 7. More potentially if you trade away pieces, and you might not be able to get who you want. Chip was also GM in Philly, and to me, THAT was his undoing. He needed someone who thought like he did to work like hell to get the guys who would fit. Chip didn't have the time to do both and had to settle for pretty lopsidedly poor deals for Philly in trades.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL

His great run in the Pac 12 came when USC and UCLA were crap. Right place, right time. I also seem to remember him coaching a team against AU in the BCS game that had a less than stellar D that year that didn't have much of an issue stopping him most of the night.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw

His great run in the Pac 12 came when USC and UCLA were crap. Right place, right time. I also seem to remember him coaching a team against AU in the BCS game that had a less than stellar D that year that didn't have much of an issue stopping him most of the night.
He is 1-2 against the SEC and his only win was against an unranked 11RC team. The ducks could put up some crazy basketball scores in the PAtheiC 12. But when his HUNH offense goes three and out multiple times and they only use a minute of play clock, their D is ends up on the field way to much. We have seen his magic show and learned all of his tricks.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012

So was Spurrier asked to help with the search for a new HC and the first place he looked was in the mirror?
Savior Superior Part Deux, Swamp renaming on his behalf imminent, the Bill Snyder of the SEC without the thin white receding hair - a wondrous* turn of events were it to transpire.

* Universal CFB wonderment, actually.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL

Savior Superior Part Deux, Swamp renaming on his behalf imminent, the Bill Snyder of the SEC without the thin white receding hair - a wondrous* turn of events were it to transpire.

* Universal CFB wonderment, actually.
This will be a really good hire - for the 6 other teams in the SEC east.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017

Spurrier is past his prime in my opinion. They need to find a good solid coach who is not past retirement age. BUT hey let em hire who they want. As long as we have Saban I am not worried about any hires anywhere else.

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama

I obviously don't follow Kelly or the Oregon program as closely as you do. My point is that Kelly is just about the biggest name coach that is looking for a job right now and the perception of this hire with recruits, fans and media would be big. 4 years and four BCS bowls at Oregon is unprecedented.
Oh, I agree!!! Kelly is a BIG "Name" - and the "Optics" here (if it happens) will be GREAT for Florida. No question!

All I'm saying is, the guy has a LOT of baggage.

Sometimes that matters in college sports, sometimes it doesn't. Kentucky BB, aub BB, Louisville BB & FB, Mich FB, (among others) - all hired coaches with "Baggage". Some of them have done just Fine.......

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL

Spurrier is past his prime in my opinion. They need to find a good solid coach who is not past retirement age. BUT hey let em hire who they want. As long as we have Saban I am not worried about any hires anywhere else.
He has never got what he deserved from the media for quitting on his team in the middle of the year. If CNS pulled that he would never hear the end of it.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007

I read that Spurrier interview as him saying that the coach they're bringing in still has to coach through the rest of the season, not that it's himself.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

I read that Spurrier interview as him saying that the coach they're bringing in still has to coach through the rest of the season, not that it's himself.
Yah, it's not Spurrier - talked to my bud this AM and he's still rock solid that it's Kelly. Be interesting too see if he's correct.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

If Spurrier is correct and the next coach is "with his team" could it be a different Kelly?
No, he claims it's obfuscation - he's solid that it's Chip Kelly.

He's been on point with UF tips in the past, so I tend to believe him, but maybe he's been told wrongly. We'll see.

B

BamaJ

It's probably Coach Saban guys. LOL!!!

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

He's been on point with UF tips in the past, so I tend to believe him, but maybe he's been told wrongly. We'll see.
Wonder if the new regime in Gainesville is putting up a serious smokescreen to see who they can trust and who they can't.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere

Spurrier is trying to fool people with his statements. Classic misdirection from the Ole Ball Coach.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.