Rumor: Chip Kelly will be new HC at Florida - Page 4
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Re: Rumor: Chip Kelly will be new HC at Florida

Quote Originally Posted by TomFromBama View Post
    I think this is potentially a Very, Very GOOD hire for UF. I expect he will win a LOT of games, and produce some very exciting offensive teams......
    BUT.... I think its not a "Great" hire for a few reasons.

First off, Kelly is an "odd bird". And as we saw with Denise Fraudchione and Mike Price, you get a LOT more "Space" to BE an "odd bird" in places like the MWC or the PAC-12 North (and Ditto for the NFL) than you do in the SEC. Maybe that will be an issue for him, maybe not.

He'll have excellent resources and good/above-average facilities at UF. But NO ONE has more resources or better facilities than Oregon a/k/a "Nike U". Scott Stricklin won't be handing him the same Blank Checks that Phil Knight was handing him at Oregon.

He also won't have the NZAA "Cover" at UF that he enjoyed (and abused) at Oregon. There is no "Phil Knight" at Florida that can scare the living bee-jeezus out of the NZAA just by making a phone call. If Kelly got busted at Oregon DESPITE being protected by THE Richest and most Powerful booster in all of College Sports... Well...... Lets just say, the NZAA doesn't exactly hand out 18-Month "Show Cause" orders for nothin'......

In the same vein, Kelly's Oregon teams seemed to have a lot of trouble with player misbehavior, discipline, legal issues, suspensions, etc. And that's just what we know about Publicly. Again, the SEC isn't the PAC-12 North. He'll be under a LOT more scrutiny in Gainesville. AND that's not even taking into account the existing "cultural" issues he will inherit at UF - like 10 starters suspended this year for criminal problems.....

As great as his teams were.... for a while... lets not forget - his (arguably) best Oregon team was basically shut down by aub's mercenaries in the 2010/11 BCS NC game. The FEW times in his Oregon career that he faced decent defenses, his teams were usually held under 20 points. And his defenses seldom held good opponents under 20. I suspect that will change at UF - still - "it is what it is".
    I obviously don't follow Kelly or the Oregon program as closely as you do. My point is that Kelly is just about the biggest name coach that is looking for a job right now and the perception of this hire with recruits, fans and media would be big. 4 years and four BCS bowls at Oregon is unprecedented.

2. Advertisement

Wow....this is huge!

We still need a franchise QB, but I suspect now that someone of CCK's background is in charge....that will be near the top of his to-do list.

No official announcement yet so will stop now....fingers and toes crossed!

If this turns out to be true, then it is a fantastic hire by Florida. He will bring them a lot of hope, and a pretty exciting offense. The Gators want a great offense. don't be fooled... there is already plenty of talent at Florida, and a fairly easy place to recruit to.
    Bama 917-318-44 73.4% On the field

26 SEC CHAMPIONSHIPS

FB | BB Moderator

I have my doubts about Chip Kelly. Really depends on the staff he hires and the constraints that being a show-cause'd former coach will bring on the recruiting trail. His punishment may be paid but I'm sure some folks in Indianapolis have their ears perked by this news. Florida doesn't have a cheating reputation but their every move will be scrutinized now. He also didn't seem to like college recruiting so hiring top-flight assistants will be critical because he doesn't seem like to be the closer Saban has been over his career. Also, I wonder if due to his genius in preparation and scheme being well copied in the college game that some of his competitive advantage has been diminished.

Do I think he is unlikely to be successful? No, I think he will win his share in Gainesville and his offensive-minded mentality fits the fanbase's desires so he's more like to be a fan favorite than Muschamp or McElwain. I just don't know if it is a given he will recapture the Oregon magic and become another Spurrier or Meyer.
    I owe it to the people to have a signature...so here goes nothing!

Update: I've been told boosters have sent a plane to pick up Kelly and the formal announcement all be 11-ish Thursday.
    To err is human, to really foul things up requires a computer.

Quote Originally Posted by TomFromBama View Post
    I think this is potentially a Very, Very GOOD hire for UF. I expect he will win a LOT of games, and produce some very exciting offensive teams......
    BUT.... I think its not a "Great" hire for a few reasons.

First off, Kelly is an "odd bird". And as we saw with Denise Fraudchione and Mike Price, you get a LOT more "Space" to BE an "odd bird" in places like the MWC or the PAC-12 North (and Ditto for the NFL) than you do in the SEC. Maybe that will be an issue for him, maybe not.

He'll have excellent resources and good/above-average facilities at UF. But NO ONE has more resources or better facilities than Oregon a/k/a "Nike U". Scott Stricklin won't be handing him the same Blank Checks that Phil Knight was handing him at Oregon.

He also won't have the NZAA "Cover" at UF that he enjoyed (and abused) at Oregon. There is no "Phil Knight" at Florida that can scare the living bee-jeezus out of the NZAA just by making a phone call. If Kelly got busted at Oregon DESPITE being protected by THE Richest and most Powerful booster in all of College Sports... Well...... Lets just say, the NZAA doesn't exactly hand out 18-Month "Show Cause" orders for nothin'......

In the same vein, Kelly's Oregon teams seemed to have a lot of trouble with player misbehavior, discipline, legal issues, suspensions, etc. And that's just what we know about Publicly. Again, the SEC isn't the PAC-12 North. He'll be under a LOT more scrutiny in Gainesville. AND that's not even taking into account the existing "cultural" issues he will inherit at UF - like 10 starters suspended this year for criminal problems.....

As great as his teams were.... for a while... lets not forget - his (arguably) best Oregon team was basically shut down by aub's mercenaries in the 2010/11 BCS NC game. The FEW times in his Oregon career that he faced decent defenses, his teams were usually held under 20 points. And his defenses seldom held good opponents under 20. I suspect that will change at UF - still - "it is what it is".
    Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    I have my doubts about Chip Kelly. Really depends on the staff he hires and the constraints that being a show-cause'd former coach will bring on the recruiting trail. His punishment may be paid but I'm sure some folks in Indianapolis have their ears perked by this news. Florida doesn't have a cheating reputation but their every move will be scrutinized now. He also didn't seem to like college recruiting so hiring top-flight assistants will be critical because he doesn't seem like to be the closer Saban has been over his career. Also, I wonder if due to his genius in preparation and scheme being well copied in the college game that some of his competitive advantage has been diminished.

Do I think he is unlikely to be successful? No, I think he will win his share in Gainesville and his offensive-minded mentality fits the fanbase's desires so he's more like to be a fan favorite than Muschamp or McElwain. I just don't know if it is a given he will recapture the Oregon magic and become another Spurrier or Meyer.
    Two good posts. I think his hiring would have just as much potential to be a train wreck as a success. It will be fun to watch though.

Biggest concern for me would be how long would he stay before he leaves for another NFL job?

BamaNation Hall of Fame DzynKingRTR's Avatar

He needs to find a QB that fits his system.
    Architects do it with models.

Roll Tide Roll

BamaNation All-SEC RollinTider1335's Avatar

UT was too late.....lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaNation First Team LSUgrad2BamaDad's Avatar

He will be much better than the last guy, but I don’t expect him to establish dominance.
    "(The Campus Catholic Sudent Center) is going to be our legacy, Terry and I's legacy, that we're going to be as proud of as anything we've ever accomplished," -Nick Saban
    " I come in peace" -WSIV70 (my old user name)

BamaNation Hall of Fame DzynKingRTR's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LSUgrad2BamaDad View Post
    He will be much better than the last guy, but I don’t expect him to establish dominance.
    He always seemed to manage to lose a game he shouldn't while at Oregon.
    Architects do it with models.

Roll Tide Roll

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    We have been talking about the weak coaching in the SEC for the last few years. Looks like the pendulum is about to start swinging in the other direction. Good for the SEC - not so good for Alabama. Not that these guys are necessarily better than Saban (they are not), but recruiting in the south is about to get a lot harder.
    Saban had no problem dominating CUM in the SEC. Is Chip Kelly a better recruiter than Meyer?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

FB | BB Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by DzynKingRTR View Post
    He always seemed to manage to lose a game he shouldn't while at Oregon.
    Tended to lose big openers and post-season games against quality defensive units. Basically only lost mid-season if they got outscored or ran into Stanford.
    I owe it to the people to have a signature...so here goes nothing!

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MobileCrimson View Post
    Saban had no problem dominating CUM in the SEC. Is Chip Kelly a better recruiter than Meyer?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    The more top coaches there are in an area, the more the top talent will spread out. Saban has no real competition in recruiting down there lately. That may be changing. We will know soon enough.