Rumor: Chip Kelly will be new HC at Florida (Update: Going to UCLA)

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Re: Rumor: Chip Kelly will be new HC at Florida

So, Spurrier meddling everywhere. I would run in the other direction. :biggrin:

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

If the above is true and your Stricklin then you have to tell Spurrier to stand down. TBH, if I was Chip or any other coach, the UF job loses a lot of the attractiveness and allure considering Spurrier looks like he's going to be the modern day Pat Dye. Chip doesn't seem like a coach who would put up with Spurrier's antics and input and that's probably why Spurrier would rather have a coach who he can influence and have some control over. Like I said modern day Pat Dye..

alabama mike1

All-American
Jul 12, 2013
Ohio

If UF wants to move quick, they can hire Chip today. Why are they waiting? IMO, they are looking at other options and I dont think Kelly is the first choice.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

I don't think Spurrier's gut is wrong. Hell, you bring the ol' head ball coach on to make decisions like this so you (the AD) can worry about the bean counting.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

I don't think Spurrier's gut is wrong. Hell, you bring the ol' head ball coach on to make decisions like this so you (the AD) can worry about the bean counting.
Spurrier is a meddling fool who can't keep his mouth shut. Think Kiffin, but older.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007

If I'm Chip Kelly and I sense that they're shopping around still I'd just wait on my next offer and pass.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

His comments after Mac was fired make me think he either wants to be more involved than he actually is or he's already too involved.

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama

If the above is true and your Stricklin then you have to tell Spurrier to stand down. TBH, if I was Chip or any other coach, the UF job loses a lot of the attractiveness and allure considering Spurrier looks like he's going to be the modern day Pat Dye. Chip doesn't seem like a coach who would put up with Spurrier's antics and input and that's probably why Spurrier would rather have a coach who he can influence and have some control over. Like I said modern day Pat Dye..
This is the part of the Chip Kelly thing that sorta doesn't make a lot of sense. It seem a bit of a stretch to think Kelly would be interested in a job where he'd have a "Character" like "The Ole' Ball Sack" looking over his shoulder and second guessing him every step of the way????

I certainly have NO inside info into UF, but from the outside looking in, it sure does look a LOT like the toxic situation at aubarn with Pat Dye.

As for Stricklin, its entirely possible that he and Spurrier are working together and Stricklin is employing Spurrier to spread disinformation and throw the media off the "scent".

But Its probably just as likely that Spurrier is just being Spurrier and doing whatever the heck he darn well pleases, perhaps with the backing of some of the major "bull gator" boosters. IF that's what's happening, Stricklin is on Thin Ice. Hire a coach that Steve doesn't want? Well that guy sure better win a HECK of a lot of games and Titles.....

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

His comments after Mac was fired make me think he either wants to be more involved than he actually is or he's already too involved.
Everyone knows who Spurrier is so if you bring him in then you have to expect it. So either indulge him or make it abundantly clear he's here to fund raise only.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Everyone knows who Spurrier is so if you bring him in then you have to expect it. So either indulge him or make it abundantly clear he's here to fund raise only.
IIRC, Stricklin didn't hire Spurrier, former AD Jeremy Foley did.

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama

IIRC, Stricklin didn't hire Spurrier, former AD Jeremy Foley did.
(Per Wikipedia :) ) Foley didn't become the AD at UF until 1992, which was after Zook was hired, and he held the job until 2016. So that would suggest that Foley hired Meyer, Mushchump and McElwain - and his hiring of Coach Mac had some weird aspects to it, IIRC.....

LSUgrad2BamaDad

All-SEC
May 5, 2016
Destrehan, LA

(Per Wikipedia :) ) Foley didn't become the AD at UF until 1992, which was after Zook was hired, and he held the job until 2016. So that would suggest that Foley hired Meyer, Mushchump and McElwain - and his hiring of Coach Mac had some weird aspects to it, IIRC.....
You are correct that Foley became AD in 1992, but Spurrier was already there. But, Foley hired Zook in 2002.

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

Really says something. Foley had a great reputation due to Spurrier, Meyer, and Donovan. But my lord he hired some busts in Zook, Muschamp, and McElwain. The latter two just flat out didn't fit because they seem like decent coaches otherwise. He inherited Steve Spurrier too.

Moral of the story: even if you're a good AD, hiring is a crapshoot and you're more like to get it wrong than right on the balance if the expectation is conference contention.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

I was referring to Spurrier's return to Florida, not his hiring in 1990.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida

Really says something. Foley had a great reputation due to Spurrier, Meyer, and Donovan. But my lord he hired some busts in Zook, Muschamp, and McElwain. The latter two just flat out didn't fit because they seem like decent coaches otherwise. He inherited Steve Spurrier too.

Moral of the story: even if you're a good AD, hiring is a crapshoot and you're more like to get it wrong than right on the balance if the expectation is conference contention.
Yes....Foley has done well in several other sports besides football, so there's that.....

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama

I would love to see Coach Kelly at Florida..Cause a stronger SEC East will only make Coach Saban work that much harder keeping The Crimson Tide "King Of The Hill" in the SEC..

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere

I would love to see Coach Kelly at Florida..Cause a stronger SEC East will only make Coach Saban work that much harder keeping The Crimson Tide "King Of The Hill" in the SEC..
Yep, he is very competitive and he definitely wouldn't get "bored" if the East had a little better coaching.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL

Seems to me the whole Spurrier/McElwain relationship went totally south and CJM was just ready to get outta Dodge.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.