Rumor: Chip Kelly will be new HC at Florida - Page 5
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Re: Rumor: Chip Kelly will be new HC at Florida

Because hiring a coach with a show cause worked out well for the barn and Bruce Pearl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by LSUgrad2BamaDad View Post
    He will be much better than the last guy, but I don’t expect him to establish dominance.
    The last guy went 10-4 and 9-4 and won the East in his first two years. I think it has much more to do with excitement and style. Florida fans and alums want an exciting offense. So I don't think the results in terms of wins/losses will be much different, but I do think he will be much more popular if he can recreate his basketball on grass rapid fire offense.

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    The more top coaches there are in an area, the more the top talent will spread out. Saban has no real competition in recruiting down there lately. That may be changing. We will know soon enough.
    I agree that Kelly is better than McElwain but Saban has no equal in recruiting. Saban ran the 2nd best coach in college football out of the SEC because Meyer couldn't compete.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

BamaNation Hall of Fame bamacon's Avatar

UF will regret this hire. Iíd almost guarantee it. He damaged himself a LOT by his stop in Philadelphia and what went down there. Donít think the youth who play football wonít hear about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaNation All-American Go Bama's Avatar

CCK is the best hire Florida could make right now. I expect him to be very successful as soon as he finds a QB. He fits with the fan base and the boosters. Recruits will want to play for him. He’ll be able to recruit a defense at Florida he didn’t have at Oregon.

IMO, this is the best hire in the SEC since Nick Saban. Jon Gruden may want to rethink getting back into coaching. There’s going to be a new sheriff in the East.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Bama View Post
    CCK is the best hire Florida could make right now. I expect him to be very successful as soon as he finds a QB. He fits with the fan base and the boosters. Recruits will want to play for him. Heíll be able to recruit a defense at Florida he didnít have at Oregon.

IMO, this is the best hire in the SEC since Nick Saban. Jon Gruden may want to rethink getting back into coaching. Thereís going to be a new sheriff in the East.
    It's all relative but CDM was a great hire for MSU. He overachieves every year for MSU.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bamacon View Post
    UF will regret this hire. I’d almost guarantee it. He damaged himself a LOT by his stop in Philadelphia and what went down there. Don’t think the youth who play football won’t hear about it.
    For those of us who watched it unfold, ol' Chipper was master of the HUNH self-immolation, i.e. his own dumpster fire. Particularly the decimation his system brought to an NFL defense. What made it a trainwreck of socioeconomic and morbid fascination from an impartial observer was he brought in every ex-Duck of his choosing to try and make it work...uh-HUNH, not a chance.

BamaNation All-American Elefantman's Avatar

Looking back at CCK time here in Philly I came across this. Maybe Selma remembers this from Dec 1, 2014:

UF will contact CCK about HC job.
    "I'm a loner. And a loner has got to be alone"
    Jesse

I'm not going to link the page from bleeding green nation due to language, but if you want, google "Chip Kelly Was Not Who We Thought He Was"

Here are some parting thought when CCK left the Eagles.

The fact of the matter is, we were fooled by a false prophet, hoodwinked by the promise of a revolution. Chip Kelly swashbuckled into town with an earned reputation for being aggressive and ballsy, for pushing the limits and demanding a breakneck, exciting brand of football.
    Throughout everything, Chip never even tried to adjust, never even tried to change, never even tried to so much as tweak his philosophies. This was a guy who was supposed to have a system that maximized the talents of his players, that conformed to their skill sets and exhibited flexibility. Instead, Kelly cloaked his rigidity and tyrannical nature in a Jim Jonesian devotion to "culture" that proved to be nothing more than empty lip service
    So, in the end, what did I learn from Chip, aside from the reinforcement of substance over style? Uh, I guess that it's OK to be an unfeeling, socially maladjusted drone who treats people -- players and organization employees alike -- like _ as long as you're winning. Although once you start losing, it all goes to hell fast and there's no leash.
    Chip thinks he the smartest guy in football and has the ego that goes with that. His character traits will come to the surface and the folks in Gainesville will be looking to dump him in three years.
    Jesse

Quote Originally Posted by Elefantman View Post
    Chip thinks he the smartest guy in football and has the ego that goes with that. His character traits will come to the surface and the folks in Gainesville will be looking to dump him in three years.
    So - I'd argue everything they quoted works, and works very well in college. The comments aren't very different to outside perception of Coach Saban - if you don't think so, talk to someone from South Florida about Nick Saban.

Talent acquisition is just so different in the NFL than college it really can't be compared, and "system" guys don't really work. In college, you can focus on a group of guys that fit EXACTLY what you want to do, and you can bring in 25 of them every year. In the NFL, you get 7. More potentially if you trade away pieces, and you might not be able to get who you want. Chip was also GM in Philly, and to me, THAT was his undoing. He needed someone who thought like he did to work like hell to get the guys who would fit. Chip didn't have the time to do both and had to settle for pretty lopsidedly poor deals for Philly in trades.

BamaNation All-American bamamc1's Avatar

His great run in the Pac 12 came when USC and UCLA were crap. Right place, right time. I also seem to remember him coaching a team against AU in the BCS game that had a less than stellar D that year that didn't have much of an issue stopping him most of the night.

Quote Originally Posted by bamamc1 View Post
    His great run in the Pac 12 came when USC and UCLA were crap. Right place, right time. I also seem to remember him coaching a team against AU in the BCS game that had a less than stellar D that year that didn't have much of an issue stopping him most of the night.
    He is 1-2 against the SEC and his only win was against an unranked 11RC team. The ducks could put up some crazy basketball scores in the PAtheiC 12. But when his HUNH offense goes three and out multiple times and they only use a minute of play clock, their D is ends up on the field way to much. We have seen his magic show and learned all of his tricks.
    Jesse

"I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson