Rumor: Chip Kelly will be new HC at Florida (Update: Going to UCLA)

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Re: Rumor: Chip Kelly will be new HC at Florida

Really says something. Foley had a great reputation due to Spurrier, Meyer, and Donovan. But my lord he hired some busts in Zook, Muschamp, and McElwain. The latter two just flat out didn't fit because they seem like decent coaches otherwise. He inherited Steve Spurrier too.

Moral of the story: even if you're a good AD, hiring is a crapshoot and you're more like to get it wrong than right on the balance if the expectation is conference contention.
Yah - Mal Moore will be fondly remembered (as he should be), but had he not landed CNS, things would likely be different...

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

Yes....Foley has done well in several other sports besides football, so there's that.....
He's turned UF into a powerhouse in the 'big three' - Foley was a great AD. Heck, UF finished as the top-ranked overall program in the SEC during all but one year under him.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina

Really says something. Foley had a great reputation due to Spurrier, Meyer, and Donovan. But my lord he hired some busts in Zook, Muschamp, and McElwain. The latter two just flat out didn't fit because they seem like decent coaches otherwise. He inherited Steve Spurrier too.

Moral of the story: even if you're a good AD, hiring is a crapshoot and you're more like to get it wrong than right on the balance if the expectation is conference contention.
Hiring a football coach is like hiring a pastor in years past -- most go for the opposite of what they had without thinking about the qualities they really need. If they had a great speaker, not great pastor--they go for great pastor not great speaker...etc.

The question is whether UF or UT or OM can stop and think about the type of leader they need 4-5 years down the road, not next season. That can be hard to do when the wolves are howling...or gators snapping. "When you are up to your buttuski in alligators it is difficult to remember that your initial objective was to drain the swamp."

Mal Moore got it right...after he got it wrong. Most of us learn by doing...at least I did.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

This was posted on AL.COM earlier today. Could explain why there's no word on Kelly: Steve Spurrier says next Florida coach is currently with another team

Or it could just be Spurrier trolling the media.
He didn't say that. He was asked point blank about it on Sirius yesterday and he said.."I was misquoted. I actually said there are a lot of good coaches out there and several of them are still coaching their teams"

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

FWIW, my UF bud says that Kelly hasn't signed yet as he wants more money contractually obligated for assistants. Says everything has been approved and should be a done deal tomorrow.

We'll see how good his connection is soon enough...

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida

FWIW, my UF bud says that Kelly hasn't signed yet as he wants more money contractually obligated for assistants. Says everything has been approved and should be a done deal tomorrow.

We'll see how good his connection is soon enough...
Thanks, CA....I was wondering what your deep throat guy had to offer. Florida needs to open up the vault and write that check!

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

Thanks, CA....I was wondering what your deep throat guy had to offer. Florida needs to open up the vault and write that check!
If they want Kelly, zero chance they won't. If what I've heard is accurate, it's just a matter of time at this point. Sounds like UF isn't playing around.

HMM

All-SEC
Sep 1, 2007

If they want Kelly, zero chance they won't. If what I've heard is accurate, it's just a matter of time at this point. Sounds like UF isn't playing around.
TN should be taking notes. Should be but I hope they aren't...lol

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL

What I heard the other day on the Tom Abraham show is that Kelly would be cheap initially because he is still being paid NFL $&

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smith5753

1st Team
Sep 12, 2010
Guntersville , AL

He didn't say that. He was asked point blank about it on Sirius yesterday and he said.."I was misquoted. I actually said there are a lot of good coaches out there and several of them are still coaching their teams"
"The (next UF) coach is with his team now," Spurrier told FootballScoop, via College Football Talk. "The coach we're going to hire is probably, I would almost 100 percent say is coaching his team today, this weekend, and through the end of the season, and maybe through the bowl game."

That's a lot of misquoting lol!! Kelly is obviously not doing any of that. Maybe the old ball coach is out of the loop

Last edited:

smith5753

1st Team
Sep 12, 2010
Guntersville , AL

Or maybe just putting up a smoke screen.
Could be, but I don't understand that strategy with the early signing period looming close. But, then again, I don't understand a lot of things lol. That's why I'm behind this keyboard and not a hot mic.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.