Rumor: Chip Kelly will be new HC at Florida (Update: Going to UCLA)

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Re: Rumor: Chip Kelly will be new HC at Florida

If I were the NEW coach, I would NOT want Coach Superior looking over my shoulder.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

If I were the NEW coach, I would NOT want Coach Superior looking over my shoulder.
I agree, but the ole ball coach is their Bear Bryant so the new coach will have to figure out how to balance having him as a living legend and then making his own name of fame.

UF is the kind of program that believes they should be competing for NC every year (like we do). The new coach's #1 job will get them to doing that.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

Agreed - especially when it's his name on the home field.

That said, Chip Kelly is supposedly very Saban-like - complete and total control, won't give an inch - so I suspect he's one of the few that could handle the 'meddling' and minimize the distraction.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

That said, Chip Kelly is supposedly very Saban-like - complete and total control, won't give an inch - so I suspect he's one of the few that could handle the 'meddling' and minimize the distraction.
To be more blunt, I think that he would likely tell Spurrier to get lost if he started meddling.

CrimsonRuss

1st Team
Sep 30, 2015

I agree, but the ole ball coach is their Bear Bryant so the new coach will have to figure out how to balance having him as a living legend and then making his own name of fame.

UF is the kind of program that believes they should be competing for NC every year (like we do). The new coach's #1 job will get them to doing that.
A good coach with all the talent The state of Florida produces should have them in competition for a NC almost every year, that is once Saban retires of course! 😜

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

I think Kelly would be one of the VERY, VERY few coaches (if hired) that Spurrier would have some form of respect for and probably keep his nose out of the room unless truly asked by Kelly.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017

How is winning 1 National Title make you a living legend? Did UF win a lot yes, but always came up short except for 1 time. Sorry in my book 1 NC does not make a legend, just my opinion. To me there are only a hnd ful of Legendary college coaches and psurrier is not one of them.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

How is winning 1 National Title make you a living legend? Did UF win a lot yes, but always came up short except for 1 time. Sorry in my book 1 NC does not make a legend, just my opinion. To me there are only a hnd ful of Legendary college coaches and psurrier is not one of them.
He is THEIR Bear Bryant - heck, the field is named after him. He brought UF their first NC and made them who they are today.

Whether we consider him a legend is immaterial.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

He played there.

He won the Heisman there.

He turned the program around.

He won a national title.

He won 6 SEC titles.

He averaged 10 wins a season at Florida.

Pretty clear why they love him so much.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017

He is THEIR Bear Bryant - heck, the field is named after him. He brought UF their first NC and made them who they are today.

By that measure Chizik at auburn should be up there LOL

Last edited by a moderator:

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee

By that measure Chizik at auburn should be up there LOL
Spurrier is arguably the 3rd best coach in the history of the SEC. Chizik ... c'mon man. You're not getting anywhere with this argument.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida

Just got back in from work......no word yet I guess. Hopefully still working on details of contract.

"The waiting is the hardest part...."
~Tom Petty

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham

High-z-man trophy winner who came back and won a National Title as the coach. Smells like a lifetime movie network hit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017

I did not say Spurrier was not a very good coach, but his record to me is not of LEGENDARY status. I can think of 4 or 5 coaches over the decades that did much more, and I do not say legend casually. I think there are maybe 4 legendary college coaches. And in my book Spurrier is not on that list. I put him with Bowden, many wins one title and always seems to lose the ONE a yr that seperates good from great or Legendary.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

As long as this is taking to get a contract nailed down, it is starting to look like it may all get axed and they will have to get someone else.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

I did not say Spurrier was not a very good coach, but his record to me is not of LEGENDARY status. I can think of 4 or 5 coaches over the decades that did much more, and I do not say legend casually. I think there are maybe 4 legendary college coaches. And in my book Spurrier is not on that list. I put him with Bowden, many wins one title and always seems to lose the ONE a yr that seperates good from great or Legendary.
How on earth are you missing what was said? The poster you responded to said he was their Bear Bryant, that's it - you're the one making it into a discussion as to whether he's one of the all-time greats...

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.