Rumor: Chip Kelly will be new HC at Florida (Update: Going to UCLA)

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
Re: Rumor: Chip Kelly will be new HC at Florida

Spurrier is arguably the 3rd best coach in the history of the SEC. Chizik ... c'mon man. You're not getting anywhere with this argument.
You could make the argument that he is the second best coach in UF history.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee

You could make the argument that he is the second best coach in UF history.

I agree, but that is beside the point.

The thread is still one I’m interested in without further derailment.

Last edited:

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I know Spurrier is well thought of at UF, but does he really have that much input on the coaching search/hire?

MobileCrimson

1st Team
Feb 27, 2014

I know Spurrier is well thought of at UF, but does he really have that much input on the coaching search/hire?

Stupid if he does. The AD needs to grow a pair and do his job.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Last edited:

bodiddle

All-SEC
May 14, 2006

If true, Spurrier is to Florida what Pat Dye is to Auburn.

That's not a good thing for the long-term success of either program.

It is, however, a good thing for the other 12 SEC teams.
If I was Kelly it would be in my contract that Spurrier would have to go. Else I wouldn't be coming.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

I did not say Spurrier was not a very good coach, but his record to me is not of LEGENDARY status. I can think of 4 or 5 coaches over the decades that did much more, and I do not say legend casually. I think there are maybe 4 legendary college coaches. And in my book Spurrier is not on that list. I put him with Bowden, many wins one title and always seems to lose the ONE a yr that seperates good from great or Legendary.
You twisted my words and almost everybody has already said so.

I've just recently noticed you're posting here, but in just about every thread I've seen you try to hijack the tread by taking something out of context or off course.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

If I was Kelly it would be in my contract that Spurrier would have to go. Else I wouldn't be coming.
So.....if you were a Florida fan, or Alumnus, you'd trust Chip Kelley more than you'd trust Steve Spurrier?
Please tell me you wouldn't, because Spurrier, in the last five minutes, has forgotten more about football than Chip Kelley has ever learned in his entire coaching career..

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

So.....if you were a Florida fan, or Alumnus, you'd trust Chip Kelley more than you'd trust Steve Spurrier?
Please tell me you wouldn't, because Spurrier, in the last five minutes, has forgotten more about football than Chip Kelley has ever learned in his entire coaching career..
Trust isn't the question here. Control is.

From the outside, Spurrier looks like he's trying to be Pat Dye and interfere with anything possible with the football program. Therefore, the next coach needs to be able to have complete control like Saban got when he came to Alabama to prevent Spurrier or someone else doing more harm than good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama

Spurrier is arguably the 3rd best coach in the history of the SEC. Chizik ... c'mon man. You're not getting anywhere with this argument.
Uh.... do you mean RECENT history or all time history of the SEC?

If you mean “all time”, who are you putting behind Spurrier that he would be third best all time?

Surely not Bryant, Saban, Wade, Thomas, Neyland or Meyer - each of whom won more NC’s at SEC programs than Steve?

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee

Uh.... do you mean RECENT history or all time history of the SEC?

If you mean “all time”, who are you putting behind Spurrier that he would be third best all time?

Surely not Bryant, Saban, Wade, Thomas, Neyland or Meyer - each of whom won more NC’s at SEC programs than Steve?

I just said the argument could be made. I’ll stand by that.

Here’s someone who disagrees with me (I’m not a fan of General Neyland):

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/top-10-sec-coaches-all-time/

Did Wallace Wade ever coach in the SEC?

And lastly, I made the statement about Spurrier to point out the absurdity of comparing Spurrier and Chizik. I had no intention of derailing the thread. This has nothing to do with Chip Kelly going to Florida. This would be a fun off season topic.

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013

So, which SEC team is not actually an SEC team?
He already mentioned Florida and Auburn. That's 2 teams.
Now, with 14 total teams in the SEC, you take away those 2, and it leaves 12 (14-2=12).

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

I'd boot Spurrier for Kelly. Spurrier isn't the coach, but he has no problem meddling - either he'd work to raise money and stay out of the coaching decisions / comments or he'd have to go. I don't care how much he knows or doesn't know - he's already meddled and caused problems for one coach, and with his mouth and attitude I find it hard to believe he won't continue to be a problem.

And he's a quitter.

LSUgrad2BamaDad

All-SEC
May 5, 2016
Destrehan, LA

I'd boot Spurrier for Kelly. Spurrier isn't the coach, but he has no problem meddling - either he'd work to raise money and stay out of the coaching decisions / comments or he'd have to go. I don't care how much he knows or doesn't know - he's already meddled and caused problems for one coach, and with his mouth and attitude I find it hard to believe he won't continue to be a problem.

And he's a quitter.
Spurrier won’t get booted and the way Kelly wants control, that would be a toxic situation.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL

And he's a quitter.
CA what is you Florida connections saying about Kelly now? Everyone was expecting Stricklin to close this quickly.

Politics or Kelly keeping them on hold?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.