Rumor: Chip Kelly will be new HC at Florida (Update: Going to UCLA)

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Re: Rumor: Chip Kelly will be new HC at Florida

CA what is you Florida connections saying about Kelly now? Everyone was expecting Stricklin to close this quickly.

Politics or Kelly keeping them on hold?
He told me yesterday they were just buttoning up the details - no change, still full ahead, he says.

G8RNGA

3rd Team
Dec 6, 2014
Rumor: Chip Kelly will be new HC at Florida

Trust isn't the question here. Control is.

From the outside, Spurrier looks like he's trying to be Pat Dye and interfere with anything possible with the football program. Therefore, the next coach needs to be able to have complete control like Saban got when he came to Alabama to prevent Spurrier or someone else doing more harm than good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I’m not sure Spurrier is interfering. He tweeted as much following that original tweet. It could be that UF was vetting Frost and that was their target until during the vetting of Frost conversation with Chip, it was discovered that Chip was also interested. In that case, Spurrier would have been correct in saying that the next HC is coaching currently.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

The only two names Spurrier has mentioned when questioned on Sirius college sports is Frost and Charlie Strong.
He has said nothing about Chip Kelly.
No idea what any of that means and no inside info.
Relayed information as it comes across..

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006

Someone very well connected at aTm is saying they are very much in on Chip Kelly. (Say the facilities and $$ at aTm can’t be touched by UF). Sumlin expected to be fired next Sunday after the end of the regular season and he thinks Kelly will wait until the following week to decide. Says it is 50/50 and may come down to who gives him more control. (He wants a say regarding compliance/admin staff. Basically wants to be left alone.)

Knowing several other aTm power brokers, I’d be shocked if they back off enough.... The aTm booster interference makes Lowder look like an amateur.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee

He told me yesterday they were just buttoning up the details - no change, still full ahead, he says.
Someone very well connected at aTm is saying they are very much in on Chip Kelly. (Say the facilities and $$ at aTm can’t be touched by UF). Sumlin expected to be fired next Sunday after the end of the regular season and he thinks Kelly will wait until the following week to decide. Says it is 50/50 and may come down to who gives him more control. (He wants a say regarding compliance/admin staff. Basically wants to be left alone.)

Knowing several other aTm power brokers, I’d be shocked if they back off enough.... The aTm booster interference makes Lowder look like an amateur.
:pDT_popc1: on TideFans.com

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

The only two names Spurrier has mentioned when questioned on Sirius college sports is Frost and Charlie Strong.
He has said nothing about Chip Kelly.
No idea what any of that means and no inside info.
Relayed information as it comes across..
Thanks.

Think about this - schools want to do this kind of work behind the scenes to avoid embarrassment for themselves and the coaches. Spurrier is naming names in the media. How is that helping anyone?

Spurrier is being Spurrier. I have come to think of him as Kiffin, but with a few rings. He has no filter and doesn't care about the carnage he leaves in his wake.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida

I don't know about the analogy of Coach Spurrier being our Coach Bryant.....I guess you could say that but I have personally never thought of him that way.

Not happy with the way he stepped down from South Carolina but not going to judge him by that alone, given his complete body of work.

It's easy to throw out a comment like "He's a quitter."

Unfortunately, he made his bed and now has to sleep in it.

That aside.....I don't think anyone here really knows what goes on inside the Florida football administration and staff arena. I sure don't. We read stuff in the media and on talk forums but no one really knows for sure what the dynamic is. Easy to throw out comments though - I get that.

But at this point, I don't see having Coach Spurrier as a detriment. With the right head coach (and that is the key) he could be quite a resource.

Just my opinion but given everything I have read and heard about Coach McElwain, it wouldn't surprise me if he just wasn't the right type of personality to mesh with Coach Spurrier at whatever dynamic was potentially or otherwise there.

Conversely, Coach McElwain may have been in a no-win situation with problems with quarterback position, injuries, suspensions, possible shortfalls on his staff, expectations on offense, and his own personality - all rolled into one.

Hard to know for sure - but that was all yesterday - we're moving on with much optimism.

You are all welcome to your own opinions, of course. :)

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017

I feel ex coaches should be like Gene Stallings, stand clear and say good things about the new coach. Stallings has shown with Nick Saban how a professional handles it. He has nothing but love for Alabama, he shows class with any and all remarks about Nick Saban and the job he is doing. Granted Nick leaves little room for griping LOL. I hate watching ex coaches commenting on new coaches all the time. You are retired or fired from a school go away. If you make comments make them good ones and do not undermine new coaches. Just my 2 cents. Every school that allows old coaches to stay close seem to suffer from it, so what is the upside to keeping them around?

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN

I'd boot Spurrier for Kelly. Spurrier isn't the coach, but he has no problem meddling - either he'd work to raise money and stay out of the coaching decisions / comments or he'd have to go. I don't care how much he knows or doesn't know - he's already meddled and caused problems for one coach, and with his mouth and attitude I find it hard to believe he won't continue to be a problem.

And he's a quitter.
Yup. Spurrier gots to go.

“Thanks, Coach. Going forward, if we desire your input, we’ll come to you, k?”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al

I feel ex coaches should be like Gene Stallings, stand clear and say good things about the new coach. Stallings has shown with Nick Saban how a professional handles it. He has nothing but love for Alabama, he shows class with any and all remarks about Nick Saban and the job he is doing. Granted Nick leaves little room for griping LOL. I hate watching ex coaches commenting on new coaches all the time. You are retired or fired from a school go away. If you make comments make them good ones and do not undermine new coaches. Just my 2 cents. Every school that allows old coaches to stay close seem to suffer from it, so what is the upside to keeping them around?
CGS even said nice things about DuBose, so you are correct.

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN

As far as I’m concerned, Coach Stallings handled the moments leading up to the Shula hiring correctly, the actual hiring correctly, and everything thereafter.

He was at the ready, had the University asked him to fill in; but never put himself out there to do so. He’s too smart and too much of a gentleman to be anything other than “if they want my opinion, they’ll ask me.”

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al

Just to add one thing, I hope Spurrier hangs around Florida, Dye keeps lurking around the barn and Phat Phill continues to consume everything in sight in Knoxville. It makes everything more interesting and only helps Alabama. Roll Tide!

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL

Gene Stallings is the epitome of timeless class.

Steve Spurrier is the epitome of teenage sass.

danb

All-SEC
Dec 4, 2011
Hazel Green, AL

I can easily see Spurrier being one of the major reasons of CJM and UF parting ways. You can’t deny Spurrier’s past coaching abilities, and in that realm, I respect him. I don’t know the man personally, but his public persona has always made me dislike him. I can remember several press conferences/interviews where he just flat threw everyone under the bus instead of taking responsibility as the HC. Sure, as the years went by and he moved on to the Skins and then Carolina, the public perception became one of “Aww, that’s just Steve being Steve”, but I imagine he meddled in CJM’s program to the point most coaches of much experience wouldn’t tolerate. He just needs to fund raise, make speeches about “back in the day”, and go play golf.

SkullDuckery

1st Team
Dec 28, 2015

I can easily see Spurrier being one of the major reasons of CJM and UF parting ways. You can’t deny Spurrier’s past coaching abilities, and in that realm, I respect him. I don’t know the man personally, but his public persona has always made me dislike him. I can remember several press conferences/interviews where he just flat threw everyone under the bus instead of taking responsibility as the HC. Sure, as the years went by and he moved on to the Skins and then Carolina, the public perception became one of “Aww, that’s just Steve being Steve”, but I imagine he meddled in CJM’s program to the point most coaches of much experience wouldn’t tolerate. He just needs to fund raise, make speeches about “back in the day”, and go play golf.
I don’t think there is any coincidence of Spurriers arrivals and Jim’s departure.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006

CGS even said nice things about DuBose, so you are correct.
A lot of people wanted Dubose to be successful. I was at a dinner sitting at a table with Lee Roy Jordan after the Auburn debacle in 1997 and he stood up and said “Mike Dubose is the right man for the job, a good coach and better man” He sat back down and quickly made it known that was all for show. But they knew to keep their mouths shut in public b/c bashing does no good.

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN

A lot of people wanted Dubose to be successful. I was at a dinner sitting at a table with Lee Roy Jordan after the Auburn debacle in 1997 and he stood up and said “Mike Dubose is the right man for the job, a good coach and better man” He sat back down and quickly made it known that was all for show. But they knew to keep their mouths shut in public b/c bashing does no good.
Exactly. CGS would have filled in prior to Shula, had they asked. But they didn’t, and he supported the hiring. Said he was the right man for the job, and was complimentary of him as a man and a coach

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

Chip Kelly might go after the UCLA job he wants that job and it is easier to win there than in SEC.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.