Rumor: Chip Kelly will be new HC at Florida (Update: Going to UCLA)

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Re: Rumor: Chip Kelly will be new HC at Florida

Wow....this is huge! :p

We still need a franchise QB, but I suspect now that someone of CCK's background is in charge....that will be near the top of his to-do list.

No official announcement yet so will stop now....fingers and toes crossed!

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011

If this turns out to be true, then it is a fantastic hire by Florida. He will bring them a lot of hope, and a pretty exciting offense. The Gators want a great offense. don't be fooled... there is already plenty of talent at Florida, and a fairly easy place to recruit to.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

I have my doubts about Chip Kelly. Really depends on the staff he hires and the constraints that being a show-cause'd former coach will bring on the recruiting trail. His punishment may be paid but I'm sure some folks in Indianapolis have their ears perked by this news. Florida doesn't have a cheating reputation but their every move will be scrutinized now. He also didn't seem to like college recruiting so hiring top-flight assistants will be critical because he doesn't seem like to be the closer Saban has been over his career. Also, I wonder if due to his genius in preparation and scheme being well copied in the college game that some of his competitive advantage has been diminished.

Do I think he is unlikely to be successful? No, I think he will win his share in Gainesville and his offensive-minded mentality fits the fanbase's desires so he's more like to be a fan favorite than Muschamp or McElwain. I just don't know if it is a given he will recapture the Oregon magic and become another Spurrier or Meyer.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

Update: I've been told boosters have sent a plane to pick up Kelly and the formal announcement all be 11-ish Thursday.

russtang

All-American
Apr 11, 2007
Central Alabama
www.uniquetitanium.com

I think this is potentially a Very, Very GOOD hire for UF. I expect he will win a LOT of games, and produce some very exciting offensive teams......
BUT.... I think its not a "Great" hire for a few reasons.

First off, Kelly is an "odd bird". And as we saw with Denise Fraudchione and Mike Price, you get a LOT more "Space" to BE an "odd bird" in places like the MWC or the PAC-12 North (and Ditto for the NFL) than you do in the SEC. Maybe that will be an issue for him, maybe not.

He'll have excellent resources and good/above-average facilities at UF. But NO ONE has more resources or better facilities than Oregon a/k/a "Nike U". Scott Stricklin won't be handing him the same Blank Checks that Phil Knight was handing him at Oregon.

He also won't have the NZAA "Cover" at UF that he enjoyed (and abused) at Oregon. There is no "Phil Knight" at Florida that can scare the living bee-jeezus out of the NZAA just by making a phone call. If Kelly got busted at Oregon DESPITE being protected by THE Richest and most Powerful booster in all of College Sports... Well...... Lets just say, the NZAA doesn't exactly hand out 18-Month "Show Cause" orders for nothin'......

In the same vein, Kelly's Oregon teams seemed to have a lot of trouble with player misbehavior, discipline, legal issues, suspensions, etc. And that's just what we know about Publicly. Again, the SEC isn't the PAC-12 North. He'll be under a LOT more scrutiny in Gainesville. AND that's not even taking into account the existing "cultural" issues he will inherit at UF - like 10 starters suspended this year for criminal problems.....

As great as his teams were.... for a while... lets not forget - his (arguably) best Oregon team was basically shut down by aub's mercenaries in the 2010/11 BCS NC game. The FEW times in his Oregon career that he faced decent defenses, his teams were usually held under 20 points. And his defenses seldom held good opponents under 20. I suspect that will change at UF - still - "it is what it is".
I have my doubts about Chip Kelly. Really depends on the staff he hires and the constraints that being a show-cause'd former coach will bring on the recruiting trail. His punishment may be paid but I'm sure some folks in Indianapolis have their ears perked by this news. Florida doesn't have a cheating reputation but their every move will be scrutinized now. He also didn't seem to like college recruiting so hiring top-flight assistants will be critical because he doesn't seem like to be the closer Saban has been over his career. Also, I wonder if due to his genius in preparation and scheme being well copied in the college game that some of his competitive advantage has been diminished.

Do I think he is unlikely to be successful? No, I think he will win his share in Gainesville and his offensive-minded mentality fits the fanbase's desires so he's more like to be a fan favorite than Muschamp or McElwain. I just don't know if it is a given he will recapture the Oregon magic and become another Spurrier or Meyer.
Two good posts. I think his hiring would have just as much potential to be a train wreck as a success. It will be fun to watch though.

Biggest concern for me would be how long would he stay before he leaves for another NFL job?

MobileCrimson

1st Team
Feb 27, 2014

We have been talking about the weak coaching in the SEC for the last few years. Looks like the pendulum is about to start swinging in the other direction. Good for the SEC - not so good for Alabama. Not that these guys are necessarily better than Saban (they are not), but recruiting in the south is about to get a lot harder.
Saban had no problem dominating CUM in the SEC. Is Chip Kelly a better recruiter than Meyer?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

He always seemed to manage to lose a game he shouldn't while at Oregon.
Tended to lose big openers and post-season games against quality defensive units. Basically only lost mid-season if they got outscored or ran into Stanford.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Saban had no problem dominating CUM in the SEC. Is Chip Kelly a better recruiter than Meyer?

The more top coaches there are in an area, the more the top talent will spread out. Saban has no real competition in recruiting down there lately. That may be changing. We will know soon enough.

G-VilleTider

Suspended
Aug 17, 2006

He will be much better than the last guy, but I don’t expect him to establish dominance.
The last guy went 10-4 and 9-4 and won the East in his first two years. I think it has much more to do with excitement and style. Florida fans and alums want an exciting offense. So I don't think the results in terms of wins/losses will be much different, but I do think he will be much more popular if he can recreate his basketball on grass rapid fire offense.

MobileCrimson

1st Team
Feb 27, 2014

The more top coaches there are in an area, the more the top talent will spread out. Saban has no real competition in recruiting down there lately. That may be changing. We will know soon enough.
I agree that Kelly is better than McElwain but Saban has no equal in recruiting. Saban ran the 2nd best coach in college football out of the SEC because Meyer couldn't compete.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa

UF will regret this hire. I’d almost guarantee it. He damaged himself a LOT by his stop in Philadelphia and what went down there. Don’t think the youth who play football won’t hear about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee

CCK is the best hire Florida could make right now. I expect him to be very successful as soon as he finds a QB. He fits with the fan base and the boosters. Recruits will want to play for him. He’ll be able to recruit a defense at Florida he didn’t have at Oregon.

IMO, this is the best hire in the SEC since Nick Saban. Jon Gruden may want to rethink getting back into coaching. There’s going to be a new sheriff in the East.

MobileCrimson

1st Team
Feb 27, 2014

CCK is the best hire Florida could make right now. I expect him to be very successful as soon as he finds a QB. He fits with the fan base and the boosters. Recruits will want to play for him. He’ll be able to recruit a defense at Florida he didn’t have at Oregon.

IMO, this is the best hire in the SEC since Nick Saban. Jon Gruden may want to rethink getting back into coaching. There’s going to be a new sheriff in the East.
It's all relative but CDM was a great hire for MSU. He overachieves every year for MSU.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012

UF will regret this hire. I’d almost guarantee it. He damaged himself a LOT by his stop in Philadelphia and what went down there. Don’t think the youth who play football won’t hear about it.
For those of us who watched it unfold, ol' Chipper was master of the HUNH self-immolation, i.e. his own dumpster fire. Particularly the decimation his system brought to an NFL defense. What made it a trainwreck of socioeconomic and morbid fascination from an impartial observer was he brought in every ex-Duck of his choosing to try and make it work...uh-HUNH, not a chance.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.