Rumor: Chip Kelly will be new HC at Florida (Update: Going to UCLA)

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Re: Rumor: Chip Kelly will be new HC at Florida

California is just as fertile and far less pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M2J

All-American
Jan 28, 2007

I would like to see him give it a try in the SEC, but I could see him @ UCLA and doing well. Though I think his ceiling is highest at Florida, he could sink in the swamp too.

I know a lot of emphasis is on his offense & tempo, but I think his biggest strenghth is how he controlled the program at Oregon. Overall at least. He organized well and set the culture

Tug Tide

All-American
Aug 27, 2006
Redneck Riviera, Panama City Beach, FL

Gator Country message board has video of AD Striclon and UF president deplanimg last night.
A lot of the board is trying to base their conclusion on facial expressions and body language of people getting off a plane at 11:00 on a Sunday night.
They're eating each other alive over there

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL

IMO, UCLA would be a tougher job than UF because their facilities still do not measure up to the leading facilities in the Pac-12 and the nation. Also, it is still a bit tougher to get into UCLA as a student-athlete than other state schools. Frankly, UCLA has always cared more about basketball and other non-football sports, and I feel they should focus on that. People forget that if you're a student at UCLA, you still have to travel an hour from campus (due to traffic) to get to the Rose Bowl for a home game. Not saying CCK couldn't do well at UCLA, but it's just different circumstances that leads me to believe he won't replicate the exact same success at UCLA that he had at Oregon.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa

I think that UCLA fired Mora specifically for this push. They’ve wanted Chip for a while and realized they had to offer now or he’d be gone. Personally, I think UF is far better off w/o Kelly. I don’t think he wants to be in the grinder of the sec if he can avoid it. If the Bruins get in the ballpark and commit to some upgrades you will see him shaking hands in Cali soon.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

I think that UCLA fired Mora specifically for this push. They’ve wanted Chip for a while and realized they had to offer now or he’d be gone. Personally, I think UF is far better off w/o Kelly. I don’t think he wants to be in the grinder of the sec if he can avoid it. If the Bruins get in the ballpark and commit to some upgrades you will see him shaking hands in Cali soon.

I also wonder if the firing of Mora was contingent on whether Kelly had real interest in the job or not?

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States

The UF guys did the worse thing they could have done, get back on the plane without Chip. If he is there "Saban" then they should have followed Mal Moore's playbook and stayed as long as it took. Should have made him an offer that would have made Chip forget all about UCLA. Coming back empty handed was a bad look. Chip is all UCLA's now IMO. Spurrier is already on staff, just let him move back into his old office and be done with it.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida

The UF guys did the worse thing they could have done, get back on the plane without Chip. If he is there "Saban" then they should have followed Mal Moore's playbook and stayed as long as it took. Should have made him an offer that would have made Chip forget all about UCLA. Coming back empty handed was a bad look. Chip is all UCLA's now IMO. Spurrier is already on staff, just let him move back into his old office and be done with it.
I don't know....here's what Bruce Feldman wrote:

Regardless of how well the Sunday meeting went, there was never any intention that Kelly would fly back with Florida brass on that plane as their next head coach.
I would like to think that our representatives pulled out all the stops and whatever happens now is up to Coach Kelly. I can certainly understand if he wanted to at least take a look at what UCLA had to offer. This is a huge decision.

Personally, if Kelly decides to decline Florida's offer, I think we'll be fine. Maybe even better off - who can really say?

Sure we need a new head coach....but we also need a quarterback - or least proper development of what we now have.

Lot of irons in the fire.....we'll see what happens.....

carder24

All-American
Sep 1, 2007
Huntsville, AL

California is just as fertile and far less pressure.

I heard a luginbill interview on the way home from work making some good points disputing this - he discussed demographics saying +67% ca population is asian or hispanic, negating the overall population differences; then compared chances between ca and fl on missing out on any top in state recruits - where fl is adjacent to states with more outstanding out-of-state recruiting opportunities (ie ga, AL, la, ms vs ut, nv, az, or, id, etc)

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

I don’t think he will go to UCLA based on the cost of living. The OD said the median cost of a house in Beverly Hills is around 3 million. So there will be a lot of assistant coaches living far from UCLA or being in debt.

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015

I️ heard a luginbill interview on the way home from work making some good points disputing this - he discussed demographics saying +67% ca population is asian or hispanic, negating the overall population differences; then compared chances between ca and fl on missing out on any top in state recruits - where fl is adjacent to states with more outstanding out-of-state recruiting opportunities (ie ga, AL, la, ms vs ut, nv, az, or, id, etc)

Yeah but you're competing with fewer teams. At UF he may be surrounded by GA, AL, LA, etc. but he's competing with the entire SEC, FSU, and Miami.

Southern California is one of the most fertile recruiting grounds in the nation and you're basically competing the USC and then letting the rest fo the Pac-12 take who you don't want.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL

I️ heard a luginbill interview on the way home from work making some good points disputing this - he discussed demographics saying +67% ca population is asian or hispanic, negating the overall population differences; then compared chances between ca and fl on missing out on any top in state recruits - where fl is adjacent to states with more outstanding out-of-state recruiting opportunities (ie ga, AL, la, ms vs ut, nv, az, or, id, etc)

Luginbill’s comments are borderline racist - implying that demographic group is incapable of being good at football. I understand what he is saying but certainly not the PC speech I expect to come out of ESPN.

lowend

All-SEC
Feb 20, 2005

Luginbill’s comments are borderline racist - implying that demographic group is incapable of being good at football. I understand what he is saying but certainly not the PC speech I expect to come out of ESPN.

I don't think he meant it in a racist manner -- it's statistics. It's like saying you're going to have fewer high quality black baseball players than Hispanic high quality baseball players because fewer black children and teenagers play baseball than Hispanic children and teens. Perhaps those cultures in California are more focused on other sports like soccer, lacrosse, etc.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

I didn't listen to his comments, but if those stats are accurate then think about it - it's not about physical ability, but size. Hispanics and Asians are just smaller human beings. Nothing racist about that remark. And size matters in football. Just looked at the 2016 census data and CA is 39% Hispanic and 15% Asian, totaling 54% between the two groups.

That said, they have 40 million people. That leaves 18.4 million people who are non-Hispanic and non-Asian. I suspect that if you subtracted the Hispanic population from Texas and Florida, they would both fall below that number.

So, in short, he is wrong. CA still has the biggest recruiting base in America.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham

Funny that luginbarn brings up race to support his point all the while ignoring the fact that California schools are typically the playing area of the Samoans, who are among the most physically gifted on the planet. He's such a tool.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.