Rumor: Chip Kelly will be new HC at Florida (Update: Going to UCLA)

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Re: Rumor: Chip Kelly will be new HC at Florida

Can't post anything directly yet as it would be a direct link to my guy, but I'm hearing that UF will announce Chip Kelly as new HC, possibly as early as this evening, and that the principle agreement has been signed. Supposedly rock solid on this.

FWIW, for the new folks - we don't allow rumors regarding Alabama, but do allow rumors about other SEC programs, within reason. The guy I know from UF has been rock solid from day one - he's plugged in. IOQ I'd bet my own money on this one if I were a betting man...
So you're saying there's a chance for me to send in my final bid for the job?.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

Real losers will be FSU, Miami and the directional schools that UF had lost some ground to.

It'll affect Georgia and UT the most in the SEC.

Wonder how the UT fans are feeling about this???

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina

So that is a win for us then. I like it when our competition takes a hit to their recruiting.
We've picked up our share of top ranked receivers and db's from Florida...I imagine CMR is trying to clamp down on Miami as we speak...could be harder to plunder that state for all of us -- with Kiffin, Strong, and UCF etc. doing well....

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere

We've picked up our share of top ranked receivers and db's from Florida...I imagine CMR is trying to clamp down on Miami as we speak...could be harder to plunder that state for all of us -- with Kiffin, Strong, and UCF etc. doing well....
They are spreading the wealth so maybe none of them will be the powerhouses they once were.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

The SEC coaching tree needs this hire along with several other "big name" hires at other schools. The coaching in our league has fallen behind the B1G and ACC IMO.

I know some of you think it is not a good hire but not sure why. In his 4 yrs at Oregon he was 46-7 and went to a BCS Bowl every year and was 19 seconds away from having a NC. You can bring up his NFL career but UF is not the NFL. Would be a great hire for UF and the SEC.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

The SEC coaching tree needs this hire along with several other "big name" hires at other schools. The coaching in our league has fallen behind the B1G and ACC IMO.

I know some of you think it is not a good hire but not sure why. In his 4 yrs at Oregon he was 46-7 and went to a BCS Bowl every year and was 19 seconds away from having a NC. You can bring up his NFL career but UF is not the NFL. Would be a great hire for UF and the SEC.
Other than stealing CNS away, they probably couldn't have hired better, if this is true.

He will bring instant offense and excitement and it'll be fun to watch. All we'll have to worry about is the SECCG most years and I like our chances against this type of offense.

This will be a home run hire for UF fans...fun and gun part 2

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)

Can't post anything directly yet as it would be a direct link to my guy, but I'm hearing that UF will announce Chip Kelly as new HC, possibly as early as this evening, and that the principle agreement has been signed. Supposedly rock solid on this.

FWIW, for the new folks - we don't allow rumors regarding Alabama, but do allow rumors about other SEC programs, within reason. The guy I know from UF has been rock solid from day one - he's plugged in. IOQ I'd bet my own money on this one if I were a betting man...
Off topic: What does IOQ stand for?

Pilot172000

1st Team
Sep 25, 2017
Winnsboro, LA

If I'm being honest, I would say this was the absolute best hire Florida could make. I used to go to fish duck and study his playbook. Great stuff.

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama

I think this is potentially a Very, Very GOOD hire for UF. I expect he will win a LOT of games, and produce some very exciting offensive teams......
BUT.... I think its not a "Great" hire for a few reasons.

First off, Kelly is an "odd bird". And as we saw with Denise Fraudchione and Mike Price, you get a LOT more "Space" to BE an "odd bird" in places like the MWC or the PAC-12 North (and Ditto for the NFL) than you do in the SEC. Maybe that will be an issue for him, maybe not.

He'll have excellent resources and good/above-average facilities at UF. But NO ONE has more resources or better facilities than Oregon a/k/a "Nike U". Scott Stricklin won't be handing him the same Blank Checks that Phil Knight was handing him at Oregon.

He also won't have the NZAA "Cover" at UF that he enjoyed (and abused) at Oregon. There is no "Phil Knight" at Florida that can scare the living bee-jeezus out of the NZAA just by making a phone call. If Kelly got busted at Oregon DESPITE being protected by THE Richest and most Powerful booster in all of College Sports... Well...... Lets just say, the NZAA doesn't exactly hand out 18-Month "Show Cause" orders for nothin'......

In the same vein, Kelly's Oregon teams seemed to have a lot of trouble with player misbehavior, discipline, legal issues, suspensions, etc. And that's just what we know about Publicly. Again, the SEC isn't the PAC-12 North. He'll be under a LOT more scrutiny in Gainesville. AND that's not even taking into account the existing "cultural" issues he will inherit at UF - like 10 starters suspended this year for criminal problems.....

As great as his teams were.... for a while... lets not forget - his (arguably) best Oregon team was basically shut down by aub's mercenaries in the 2010/11 BCS NC game. The FEW times in his Oregon career that he faced decent defenses, his teams were usually held under 20 points. And his defenses seldom held good opponents under 20. I suspect that will change at UF - still - "it is what it is".

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

We have been talking about the weak coaching in the SEC for the last few years. Looks like the pendulum is about to start swinging in the other direction. Good for the SEC - not so good for Alabama. Not that these guys are necessarily better than Saban (they are not), but recruiting in the south is about to get a lot harder.
He wasn't known as a recruiter was he?

2009 - 30th
2010 - 12th
2011 - 12th
2012 - 14th

Last edited:

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA

Just waiting for some guy called "chomp_krieg" to blow up the boards in the near future.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

I think this is potentially a Very, Very GOOD hire for UF. I expect he will win a LOT of games, and produce some very exciting offensive teams......
BUT.... I think its not a "Great" hire for a few reasons.

First off, Kelly is an "odd bird". And as we saw with Denise Fraudchione and Mike Price, you get a LOT more "Space" to BE an "odd bird" in places like the MWC or the PAC-12 North (and Ditto for the NFL) than you do in the SEC. Maybe that will be an issue for him, maybe not.

He'll have excellent resources and good/above-average facilities at UF. But NO ONE has more resources or better facilities than Oregon a/k/a "Nike U". Scott Stricklin won't be handing him the same Blank Checks that Phil Knight was handing him at Oregon.

He also won't have the NZAA "Cover" at UF that he enjoyed (and abused) at Oregon. There is no "Phil Knight" at Florida that can scare the living bee-jeezus out of the NZAA just by making a phone call. If Kelly got busted at Oregon DESPITE being protected by THE Richest and most Powerful booster in all of College Sports... Well...... Lets just say, the NZAA doesn't exactly hand out 18-Month "Show Cause" orders for nothin'......

In the same vein, Kelly's Oregon teams seemed to have a lot of trouble with player misbehavior, discipline, legal issues, suspensions, etc. And that's just what we know about Publicly. Again, the SEC isn't the PAC-12 North. He'll be under a LOT more scrutiny in Gainesville. AND that's not even taking into account the existing "cultural" issues he will inherit at UF - like 10 starters suspended this year for criminal problems.....

As great as his teams were.... for a while... lets not forget - his (arguably) best Oregon team was basically shut down by aub's mercenaries in the 2010/11 BCS NC game. The FEW times in his Oregon career that he faced decent defenses, his teams were usually held under 20 points. And his defenses seldom held good opponents under 20. I suspect that will change at UF - still - "it is what it is".
I obviously don't follow Kelly or the Oregon program as closely as you do. My point is that Kelly is just about the biggest name coach that is looking for a job right now and the perception of this hire with recruits, fans and media would be big. 4 years and four BCS bowls at Oregon is unprecedented.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.