Rumor: Chip Kelly will be new HC at Florida (Update: Going to UCLA)

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Re: Rumor: Chip Kelly will be new HC at Florida

Racism is prejudice or descrimination directed against someone of another race because one believes his race is superior. Saying one race is physically superior to another is clinical.

Mods delete if this is political. It is not intended to be.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.

If you do the update you'll get the "I" on your iPhone back... :)
I️ heard a luginbill interview on the way home from work making some good points disputing this - he discussed demographics saying +67% ca population is asian or hispanic, negating the overall population differences; then compared chances between ca and fl on missing out on any top in state recruits - where fl is adjacent to states with more outstanding out-of-state recruiting opportunities (ie ga, AL, la, ms vs ut, nv, az, or, id, etc)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL

I don’t think he will go to UCLA based on the cost of living. The OD said the median cost of a house in Beverly Hills is around 3 million. So there will be a lot of assistant coaches living far from UCLA or being in debt.
Can't speak for UCLA, but I know at USC, they will pay for your rent if you're an assistant coach for any sport. They've recognized that issue and are proactive about addressing that.

carder24

All-American
Sep 1, 2007
Huntsville, AL
Rumor: Chip Kelly will be new HC at Florida

Yeah but you're competing with fewer teams. At UF he may be surrounded by GA, AL, LA, etc. but he's competing with the entire SEC, FSU, and Miami.

Southern California is one of the most fertile recruiting grounds in the nation and you're basically competing the USC and then letting the rest fo the Pac-12 take who you don't want.
that was the primary counterpoint, competition against elite recruiting and head coaches, in the southeast and even just the state of florida,

looking back a few years ucla is generally back in pack against usc with stanford, oregon, cal, washington...but concede that is also like all surrounding schools (including fl) compared to Bama recruiting ranks

carder24

All-American
Sep 1, 2007
Huntsville, AL

I didn't listen to his comments, but if those stats are accurate then think about it - it's not about physical ability, but size. Hispanics and Asians are just smaller human beings. Nothing racist about that remark. And size matters in football. Just looked at the 2016 census data and CA is 39% Hispanic and 15% Asian, totaling 54% between the two groups.

That said, they have 40 million people. That leaves 18.4 million people who are non-Hispanic and non-Asian. I suspect that if you subtracted the Hispanic population from Texas and Florida, they would both fall below that number.

So, in short, he is wrong. CA still has the biggest recruiting base in America.
https://www.sbnation.com/college-f...rankings-state-stars-florida-texas-california

http://edr.state.fl.us/Content/population-demographics/data/Medium_Projections_ARSH.pdf

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.

I noticed a square instead of the letter "I" in your post. I was having the same issue. I did an update and that corrected it. If I'm wrong, my apologies.
Huh, sorry not following?

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007

Luginbill’s comments are borderline racist - implying that demographic group is incapable of being good at football. I understand what he is saying but certainly not the PC speech I expect to come out of ESPN.

I assume all he is talking about is size. In general Asians and Hispanics are smaller, but of course there are plenty of exceptions. I guess it depends on how one defines racism.

Edit: I should have read the entire thread as I see that my comment has already been made.

Last edited:

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017

I maintain Pac-12 is a better fit for Kelly. Wouldn't be shocked if he were using UF as leverage to get UCLA to pay up.
I agree, Kelly is good offensive guy, if he comes to SEC he better find one heck of a Def Coord. I do not see him being a long term HC in SEC, I would bet UCLA is much better position for his style of coaching.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

I maintain Pac-12 is a better fit for Kelly. Wouldn't be shocked if he were using UF as leverage to get UCLA to pay up.
If that is the case then Chip is stupid for thinking it and UCLA is stupid for listening. UCLA just paid Mora 12 million to stop coaching and they are coming off a national embarrassment with the basketball players in China. As much as some of y’all say that y’all hate finebaum some of y’all should start listening to his interviews. Palaschi, one of the top man in reporting in LA, basically said UCLA does not want any part of Chip with those two things going on added with his show cause.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham

If that is the case then Chip is stupid for thinking it and UCLA is stupid for listening. UCLA just paid Mora 12 million to stop coaching and they are coming off a national embarrassment with the basketball players in China. As much as some of y’all say that y’all hate finebaum some of y’all should start listening to his interviews. Palaschi, one of the top man in reporting in LA, basically said UCLA does not want any part of Chip with those two things going on added with his show cause.
Hasn't his show cause elapsed?

carder24

All-American
Sep 1, 2007
Huntsville, AL

I noticed a square instead of the letter "I" in your post. I was having the same issue. I did an update and that corrected it. If I'm wrong, my apologies.
Thank you,I’m not seeing that on screen or in my posts, but am seeing something similar pop up annoyingly on my spell checks...don’t have an update yet, but will watch for it

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013

As much as some of y’all say that y’all hate finebaum some of y’all should start listening to his interviews.
Personally, I hate the Paul Finebaum Show. I enjoy his interviews but hate the regular idiots he gives air time to.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

bodiddle

All-SEC
May 14, 2006

Luginbill’s comments are borderline racist - implying that demographic group is incapable of being good at football. I understand what he is saying but certainly not the PC speech I expect to come out of ESPN.

I thought his comments had nothing to do with race or even size as some have suggested. It had to do with the fact that asians and hispanics , for what ever reason, don't participate in football all that much.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.