Link: 52 years ago today Ia Drang Valley, South Vietnam

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
[FONT="]"In the first major engagement of the war between regular U.S. and North Vietnamese forces,"[/FONT]

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/major-battle-erupts-in-the-ia-drang-valley

Thought Tidewater would beat me to this.
That was a good army (frankly good soldiers on both sides; the NVA was no joke). The difference was one foreign army in the Ia Drang was there at the invitation of the host government and the other was an invading army trying to overthrow the government.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
The book, We Were Soldiers Once, and Young is one of my all-time favorites.

I had been generally aware of the Ia Drang battle, but was totally ignorant of the follow-on engagement at LZ Albany, until I read the book.

If you haven't read the book, anybody with even a passing interest in Vietnam will find it time well spent.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
The book, We Were Soldiers Once, and Young is one of my all-time favorites.

I had been generally aware of the Ia Drang battle, but was totally ignorant of the follow-on engagement at LZ Albany, until I read the book.

If you haven't read the book, anybody with even a passing interest in Vietnam will find it time well spent.
Agreed. Excellent book. The follow up engagement at least to the way I read it was far more harrowing than the movie portion.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
I worked with a man (he's retired) who fought on hill 950 the night of June 6 1967. Look that one up to read about some men with ice water in their veins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
The latest Ken Burns documentary spends some time on this. I recommend it the whole series if you’ve not watched it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.